I'm in a bit of a moral quandry

whatayawant

In early April I ordered 25 auto seeds from a seed bank overseas,I'd rather not say who right now.By the first week of this month I still hadn't received the seeds so I emailed them and they sent the order again.I checked my mail this week and lo and behold the seeds that I originally ordered had arrived.Now when the replacement order gets here I could easily thank them and be on my way but doing that goes against my grain.But if I inform them they'll obviously want their seeds back and I'll have to pay for the shipping I assume.But if I say nothing I have 50 seeds for the price of 25.What's your opinion on what you would do.
I wanted to start growing my NL's the first week of May outdoors but since we have such a short growing season here in Alberta I don't think I'll have enough time now.But there's always next year.

Man I'd consider myself lucky. I had the same situation when I ordered overseas, tracked them and they quit moving so I contacted them and they shipped replacement. While I was tracking those a month later I had a notification from postal service saying I had package so I asked them what would happen if both arrived and that's what they told me exactly. Bad news is both arrived with notices from customs saying they'd been seized and destroyed so I wasn't so lucky after all!! All monies were refunded so not too bad but I just wanted my beans so I was still pissed

Own the error and let them know. Best case scenario they'll appreciate information, let it slide and you'll sleep well at night. Worst case scenario they will want them back. Refuse to accept the 2nd shipment and return to sender or purchase a couple dollars worth of postage to ship them back. Either way you'll have a clear conscious in the long run.

Cheers.
/Obi

This isn't the first time this has happened to me.I ordered some seeds from another overseas seed bank,after a month they still hadn't arrived so they shipped it again.The second order still hadn't arrived after another month so I emailed them and they decided to reimburse me.Then the first order finally arrived and two weeks later the second one arrived.I emailed them and told them I had both orders and asked what I should do.Their reply still has me puzzled,they were telling me how to check to see if I had been reimbursed. I decided that since I tried to do the right thing and that failed I decided to keep the seeds.Turns out the strains I ordered weren't nearly as good as I thought they'd be.

I think if the second order gets here I'll let them know and see where it goes from there.Even though in the second order they included a couple cool T-shirts.Another option I suppose is I could pay them for the second order,they're Northern Lights for one and I've had a love affair with it ever since I last grew it nearly 3 years ago.

Usually when I get seed orders they require a signature - letting the sender know they're recieved. Either way, I would just let the company know. Nice to keep on honest terms if you have a seed bank you like- they'll appreciate it. Any decent company will just write it off. I can't see them wanting you to send them all the way back. Seeds don't cost them much- and anyway they'd be pretty much 'used goods' by the time they arrived back, if they even made it.
I'm surprised that these places are resending so soon. I thought that for international shipping most items need to wait about 5 weeks before the postal service can officially declare it as missing. Personally I don't start wondering too much until six weeks have passed. Sounds like you may want to just wait a bit longer next time, if it's going to be a moral dilemma.

Yep Karma is a bitch. Got to keep the grow gods happy. Tell the company. Most likely they will just say keep them. If not you have still created a business relationship built on honesty. Its never easy doing the right thing good luck with your decision.

She may be a bitch, but when you play the game honestly, she then goes over to reside at the other persons place for a while and it's their turn to make a choice. Make the wrong choice and you could be stuck with the bitch for a long time.

I dont care about thal lol

Call me an a-hole if you must but if it was an individual I would tell them. When it comes to the company im keeping thise seeds and be happy like I won the lottery. You see the seed companys have such a mark up that they are not losing any money us if you paid for the insurance then thats what you payed for. You did not recieve seeds then contact them like wheres my seeds? No...you did not recievr your seeds in a timely manner so worried you contacted them and the sent more. Thats that insurance your paying for (piece of mind). If you did that then your dead wrong and a liar but your asking so obviously thats not the case.

Now some people could have a moral dilemma and I understand that and karmas a bi#/$ but when I think of karma I think of intentionally doing negative things and what goes around comes around. You can get technical and say you think you lied or were dishonest but you couldnt be further from the truth. They did not call you and ask you anything so you did not lie what you did do was not go offering up info on questions that were never asked nor ever would be and you had no intentions to try to defraud them by any means.

Sorry for the long winded speech but I just feel strongly about that. They don't care what anyone thinks as long as that moneys coming in so the customer relations thing is more one sided being in the customers favor. I would lose sleep but if you will then do you but I wonder how many people would just order from another company if they knew they had to come off of an extra 100 bucks to get their seeds lol

I like the seedbanks I deal with. I know it's not a financial issue for them. I also know that if I tell them about the extra seeds they will say to just keep them. But I feel good letting them know, and I think they do too. Makes the relationship better- they do me favours and maybe slip in freebies next time, and just generally treat me with more respect. So it's basically self interest, but of a healthy sort.

Perhaps if this were the first time this has happened. But, this is a repeated error. How many more times before it is stealing?

Wow,I never expected such a response.But my mind is made up,if the second shipment gets here I'll email them and let them know.

But either way I have my seeds.I was thinking of waiting until next spring to plant outdoors but would I have enough time for maybe 2 plants if I plant the seeds in 2 weeks? Here in southern Alberta we've had frost as early as the last week of August but that's pretty rare.But by the end of September we'll have had at least one frost.

It's an interesting topic. I think many people will have a similar experience in their lifetime resulting from a simple oversight or miscommunication. Thanks for bringing it up.

I'm an indoor grower. Hopefully someone can chime in on growing in your climate. Good luck out there!

Maybe a different perspective here..
First, 9/10 the seller just says thanks and no other action necessary- it's good business but here's another thing.

Depending on the law of the state you reside- or for that matter- the federal law on the sale of marijuana beans- using the us postal service to transport an illegal drug across state and national borders----
Point is, a company in another country legally allowed to cultivate and sell mj beans has a different liability than a US citizen mailing beans to another country- even if the seller is from that county..
It's like doing a bad drug deal then using the government to help return some shitty drugs... not a smart move on your part.
Keep the beans, do NOT return or offer to return. You can refuse them or return to sender but even then increases your chances of being found to have beans. Best just keep your mouth shut and grow a ton of bud!

Don't tell them that you received a double shipment because nine out of ten sellers would tell you to keep them?

Hmm... I've given many things away that, had someone decided to steal instead of ask for... I'd have had to clean a firearm afterwards.

I agree that most seedbanks would tell the customer to keep the extra shipment. I do not agree that quietly sticking them in your pocket is the proper thing to do. That'd either be stealing or obtaining merchandise fraudulently, depending on how one looks at it.

Aside from that, if the seller gets a lot of complaints (in regards to shipping/delivery), they may decide to change their delivery - and/or stealth - setup. That's not necessary if the root cause is slow shipping, one or more inefficient postal systems, or an impatient buyer. Also, if a seller receives too many such complaints from one country, that seller may decide that it makes sense to stop shipping to that country. For example, some seedbanks have stopped selling to Australian citizens due to the difficulty in getting the products to the purchasers.

Finally, most seedbanks have a bit of text on their page telling their customers not to flip out until they haven't received their order for a certain period of time. Say a seedbank states that customers should wait 28 days before giving up and contacting the 'bank about it. If it turns out that - for whatever reason - some customers are getting their orders five or six weeks after placing the order, the 'bank ought to know this so that they can change the period of time they suggest the customer should wait. (Or perhaps there is something that they could do to lessen the wait times - but that's a different problem than disappearing shipments.)

I've had orders sit in the ISC for up to a month before. That's pretty rare, but it's a delay that the seller cannot really do anything about. I've also had product in my hands eight days after placing an order.

BtW, if you plan on ordering from the same seller again in the future, they probably keep track of which customers have required replacement shipments. Ever hear the one about the boy who cried wolf, lol?

Yep. I actually was in a very similar situation. I made 10 orders from various seed sites. Only 4 arrived and 1 came 6 weeks later..which was a week after a refund. I emailed to offer to pay the money back and havent got a reply. I felt good doing the righty.

It's been about a month since I got the original order so if the replacement isn't here in 3 weeks then it probably wont ever get here,just to let you know what's happening.I still plan on emailing the seed bank to let them know.

Back
Top Bottom