How to work with pollen - Need advice

BuzzyB

Hi all! Well, here's my story...the old 'I had this random seed'...well I did and she turned out to be sensational! Of course..because she was a no name! Over the past couple of years, hermies have given up a few seeds indoors. I have since moved the grow ops outdoors...I was down to THREE beans! Sprouted 2 for the garden leaving me with one to hopefully carry on the lineage. Shorty after planting outside, one showed himself! Yep! A boy! I dug him up and brought him into the indoor grow room so he could flower and I would bravely collect the pollen. At this point, I'm clueless! He's a healthy boy and is giving up plenty of pollen! This is a picture of what I've collected so far...the jar is about 1/4" deep with pollen! Some people say cut with equal parts of plain old baking flour? Not sure if that's a good thing. How and where to store? Currently I have the jar wrapped in a paper towel and then a plastic bag and into the fridge. I plan on pollinating one or two branches of his counterpart (same strain) and hopefully some seeds! I've never done this EVER and am very nervous about the whole thing, so any and all advice is welcome! I'm staying out of the outdoor garden during this time. The girls won't begin to flower until August, so I hope to not spread any pollen around. I would appreciate any help from folks familiar with pollination for seeds! Thanks all! Keep on growing!
420-magazine-mobile1436428931.jpg

I can help you, it's nothing diificult, but help me set the record straight first. You got a male froma hermie seed?

I can help you, it's nothing diificult, but help me set the record straight first. You got a male froma hermie seed?

Sounds odd but that's how I got him! Every single seed has been because a plant hermied. I've never 'purposely' had a plant with seeds. Plus they've always been female, until now.

Ok man, I'd never use hermie pollen, I'd just flush it, but that's me. Hermie pollen guarantees hermie offspring, which means big part of your F1 plants will have hermie genes and that'll give you a lot of headaches, cause they won't be healthy plants!

Ok man, I'd never use hermie pollen, I'd just flush it, but that's me. Hermie pollen guarantees hermie offspring, which means big part of your F1 plants will have hermie genes and that'll give you a lot of headaches, cause they won't be healthy plants!

Sounds like wise advice! I'd rather keep the strain, but that leaves me ONE good seed of unknown variety...time to invest in a mother tent for indoors! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom