Breeding and Cross-breeding

Hey all. I have a question for those of you that might have breed or specifically cross-bred some strains.

I am currently growing an Alaskan Thunderfuck male that I intend to breed for more ATF seeds. I have also taken clones from a Durban Poison, Blue Kush, and Blueberry for the intent of cross breeding with the ATF male just to see what kind of effects those crosses might do. The ATF has a flower time of 70-77 days(10-11 weeks). The other three strains have flower times of 55-60 days.

I have a small tent I purchased specifically for breeding purposes. My intent was to flower them all together and let the fertilization take place naturally (with me possibly doing some shaking of a cola just to get some pollen flowing). My question is this.....will the different flowering times of the strains affect this plan at all if I have start the flowering at the same time. I am afraid the ATF male might not make pollen in time for the faster flowering times. Is this something I need to worry about or will it not matter with those flowering times?

Any input from those of you that have done cross breeding will be greatly appreciated.

Hey all. I have a question for those of you that might have breed or specifically cross-bred some strains.

I am currently growing an Alaskan Thunderfuck male that I intend to breed for more ATF seeds. I have also taken clones from a Durban Poison, Blue Kush, and Blueberry for the intent of cross breeding with the ATF male just to see what kind of effects those crosses might do. The ATF has a flower time of 70-77 days(10-11 weeks). The other three strains have flower times of 55-60 days.

I have a small tent I purchased specifically for breeding purposes. My intent was to flower them all together and let the fertilization take place naturally (with me possibly doing some shaking of a cola just to get some pollen flowing). My question is this.....will the different flowering times of the strains affect this plan at all if I have start the flowering at the same time. I am afraid the ATF male might not make pollen in time for the faster flowering times. Is this something I need to worry about or will it not matter with those flowering times?

Any input from those of you that have done cross breeding will be greatly appreciated.

as long as there are whit pistils it is ok they will get pollinated . the male always shows sex first also. so once you put them to flower together you will get pollination throughout the life of the male. seed need 3 to 5 weeks to mature fully.

It's a problem that you might resolve by holding the early flowering strains one week longer in veg room or by harvesting them later. Seeds need at least 4 weeks to mature after pollination has been done. For females it should be done between 2nd and 4th week of flowering depending on the variety. Hope that helps.

It's a problem that you might resolve by holding the early flowering strains one week longer in veg room or by harvesting them later. Seeds need at least 4 weeks to mature after pollination has been done. For females it should be done between 2nd and 4th week of flowering depending on the variety. Hope that helps.

Thanks, I was kind of leaning towards doing that....but having never dealt with males before I wasn't sure the timing of their pollen release.

Just starting my first breeding project myself. So I will share some advise I got from my mentor that's not always mentioned. When making seeds you need to feed you plants all the way through. No flushing. They use a lot of nutes making seeds. Good luck with your project.

Just starting my first breeding project myself. So I will share some advise I got from my mentor that's not always mentioned. When making seeds you need to feed you plants all the way through. No flushing. They use a lot of nutes making seeds. Good luck with your project.

Thanks, I grow in organic living soil and don't feed anything throughout the entire grows. Just water pH'd down to 6.5-7.0. I will make sure I transplant into plenty of soil so it can feed throughout.

Remember when breeding seeds and Crossing strains are to complete different things when you get down to the science of it Crossing strains actually needs to be stabilized by breeding them together again afterwards it can take 4 to 6 weeks for a plant to mature it seeds some of this depends on its flowering time a plant that has a longer flowering time will finish seeds earlier than it will finish the bud so by directly pollinating the ones that you want to be pollinated and not letting it cross naturally you can Harvest the buds that contain seeds when they show that they are ready and start to swell and pop from their casing

I have been Reading that you can keep pollen a Year or so? I think it was in the freezer but I am not sure... you can always start the male 3 weeks before the girls, collect the pollen and spread over the girls whenever needed.

Never Done it so This might have a few loose ends, but sounds logical to me :)

Anyway I am Subbed to learn along with you .

Back
Top Bottom