Hmm bad genetics? Which bank to go to?

Cowpert909

I recently had a grow...being an intermediate. I really noticed the difference between two different seed banks. I noticed at harvest one was tighter and smelled better than the second. I don't know if it was because the temp went up to 85 degrees or not. Do you get what you pay for? Are the well known seed banks really better?

Re: Hmm Bad genetics? Which bank ro go to?

I recently had a grow...being an intermediate. I really noticed the difference between two different seed banks. I noticed at harvest one was tighter and smelled better than the second. I don't know if it was because the temp went up to 85 degrees or not. Do you get what you pay for? Are the well known seed banks really better?

I don't know about the temperature, but I only use Dutch passion seedbank. I've always had good consistent yields from whatever I've bought from there. I have used others were I have had dud seeds from but since Dutch passion, no problems at all.

I think genetics can play a role, but the strains all have different likes/wants/dislikes far as temp/humidity/amount of nutes/more or less sensitive to light/works better indoors or outdoors/etc... So IMHO it can be all over the place kind of like buying "name brand" foods or "generic" sometimes there is little to no difference for the extra cost and other times you can tell a major difference (and sometimes the more expensive Name Brand TV blows up faster than the company you never heard of ;).

Wow. Just taste tested the Afghan from 420 and the Kush from another bank. The Afghan tastes less than O.K. and the Kush tastes 20 times better. Like top shelf weed should taste like! Both grown side by side. The Afghan from 420 taste like sale weed, bottom shelf. Can't remember where i got the O.G. Kush and only three of the 5 seeds germinated but it is a killer strain. Glad I cloned it. Compared to the Afghan which is not good genetics. No More 420 seeds for me.

Its a little of both bad genetics and the wrong breeders. While I use only a couple seed banks I buy lots of different strains from different breeders. Most breeders spend lots more time on just a couple of their signature strains. The rest of their stain library is designed to have all the strains other people have. Now days almost every breeder has a OG, Afghan, Haze, NYCD and a Chem. Just to keep up with the market place. Back in the day breeders had 5 to 10 strains of solid genetics bred over time. If you wanted Warlock you went to Magnus and got great Warlock. You wanted Blueberry you went to DJ Short. Do you really think genetics will be as good from someone that caries Blueberry because everyone else does. Or the Blueberry that was bred over time with thousands of plants to choose from. When it was right then it was released.

I would like to see you grow out an Afghan from another bank. Either u got bad genetics or the conditions were just not optimal for the strain, which I'm leaning toward now seeing another thread about it. Some strains are easy to get a good result and others require a more specific environment to have a good finished product. Also the dry/cure may have been done incorrectly. I suggest starting again with known genetics and really dialing in your environment, nute schedule and dry/cure processes. It's all about the breeder not the bank so choose a good breeder with solid genetics and get it at whatever bank has them as long as they are reputable (see sponsors)

no offense,but u are not an intermediate,,,,ive been growing 15 years and still have so much to learn....

Back
Top Bottom