Cloning ideas

Vstar

Tried multiple cloning techniques but never any success I'm reaching out to the best to possible get ideas and solutions

A Lengthy Way to State Something That is Very Simple

Tried multiple cloning techniques but never any success I'm reaching out to the best to possible get ideas and solutions

Between the "How to Grow Marijuana," the "Frequently Asked Questions," and this section, there are probably 420,420 different threads about how to take and root cuttings. They're pretty much all variations on "Cut a piece off the mother plant, prep the end, and stick it in something that will provide enough moisture to the bottom of the stem to keep the thing alive until it can grow roots." Except for air-layering, of course, where the gardener removes a section of the outermost layer of stem, packs the wound in a moist medium such as peat moss, wraps it, waits for a root system to appear, then cuts their new rooted clone away from its mother. And how when one of a plant's stems ends up getting buried or at least solidly contacting the ground... it can grow roots there.

But, mostly, simple variations on the same theme that your grandmother used when she rooted cuttings in a glass of water on her kitchen windowsill (which also works with cannabis ;) ). I've tried several of the methods, including some of the ones created by people that think an overly humid environment is required (or at least a good thing :icon_roll ) . They all tend to work as long as the cutting doesn't end up rotting before roots are formed. That's why I try to actively encourage root growth.

These days... If I'm going to grow the plant in a 3:1 mixture of, for example, Fox Farms' Happy Frog soil and perlite, then I'll pour some into some kind of cup, disposable water bottle, et cetera that I poked a hole or two into the bottom of. I water the soil as I would any time I was planting something (IOW, not drown it, but make sure all of it is damp). Poke a hole, insert my prepared cutting, gently pack the soil to ensure there is complete soil-to-stem contact... and let it get on with its business. That's about it. When it wilts - which it will - I water it and it stands back up. I'm not in a big hurry, I just want another plant. I want it to root, and it "wants" to root. By not placing it into an environment that is closer to "submerged than damp," I take advantage of the natural moisture-seeking behavior. Give it enough moisture to live - but make it work in order to thrive.

I don't get complicated, because it's a simple thing. Discounting bone-head moves (what did I just step on?) and cats that show affection by attacking, my clone success average is basically a whole number instead of a fraction. Barring extreme circumstances, everyone else's should be, too. That assumes reasonably warm temperatures and humidity levels that fall nowhere near either the Atacama Desert or the center of a lake. I don't bother measuring any more, because I don't have extremes here. I don't cut off a bunch of leaves, and I don't cut off portions of leaves. I do strip growth from the end of the stem because... stem. I cut the thing off the mother plant with whatever I have available - scissors, a razor blade, pocket knife, by gnawing through it, et cetera. It doesn't matter. I prep the end of the stem with a sterile razor blade. This stem-prepping should be not be done until you're ready to stick it into its medium (if you must, redo it at that time). I most definitely do NOT use scissors for this, because I'm trying to avoid pinching the stem shut. I cut at an angle so there will be a greater surface area. I use a sharp blade; considering that I often do this with a thoroughly wilted stem, a very sharp blade. It goes without saying that I wash my hands first. Usually ;) . I generally lightly scrape the stem (downwards) with the blade held more or less perpendicular to the stem from, IDK, ½" to 1" up - but this merely helps, rather than being necessary. I used to dip them in (a clean, separated portion of) Rootone and/or Olivia's Cloning Gel every time. Now I might dip them in Olivia's maybe once in a great while if I happen to think about it.

I like to do this immediately after taking the cutting. But it doesn't always work out that way. It almost seems like, if I haven't heard from anyone all day - and want to - all I have to do is take a few cuttings :rolleyes3 . They routinely lay ignored up to an hour on the table in the shed, three hours between the arm of the couch and the cushion <WHOOPS!>, or overnight wrapped in a damp paper towel in the refrigerator. What? That's how you turn a fresh cutting into a wet noodle? <SHRUGS> What's your point, lol?

I like planting wilted cuttings. Because I know they're going to make it when they stand up shortly afterward. The poor things want moisture, NOW ;) . And they're going to grow roots as quickly as they can, because they want more moisture, faster. Have to keep an eye on them, of course. They'll wilt again when they need to be watered; I do so and they stand back up. I can tell when it's cool to up-pot them (if I choose to do so at that time) because they start getting bigger - so that's no mystery. They're not going to grow until they have roots. They won't even try if you don't take their leaves away.

I no longer use a special lighting schedule for the rooting of cuttings, nor do I use a special cloning light. I usually stick them in the least bright area of the vegetative area under whatever light schedule happens to be running (18/6, for the most part). Or, if there isn't a vegetative cycle in progress, under whatever wattage CFL is mounted directly over the bathroom medicine cabinet, and just leave the light on most of the day.

There. I just used eight bazillion words in order to type: "It's simple. Cut a piece off the mother, stick it in damp medium, and water it when it asks you to." And I could have done 20 of them during the time it took. Maybe it would be more beneficial for YOU to tell us your cloning method that never seems to work, and one of us will try to figure out what you're doing wrong? It's undoubtedly something simple.

What ts said lol, it can be as simple or high tech as you want it all depends on what works for you, my aero cloned collects dust now, I stick to a cup of inert medium and have better results. Cloning is something in the. Annabis community that I think is over thought most times as the above post said, I've seen my granny put many cuttings in straight water.

Back
Top Bottom