The THCV unicorn in Indica or hybrid

Sandman99

I'm having a tough time finding strains with notable THCV levels ... particularly in a strain that would also address insomnia. My wife has major insomnia which can be addressed by Indica strains but it seems to be the Sativas that typically have THCV. THCV reduces the munchies issue which is something she truly would like to avoid.

Can anyone point me to strains (where seed is available) with high THCV levels in an Indica or hybrid?

You do not want THCV for insomnia. It is speedy! That is also what reverses the munchies. And THCV offsets the effects of THC for about a half hour. High TCHV is typically only found in speedy sativas and sativa dominant strains, like Durban Poison, Pineapple Purps, Haze, Mexican landraces, and Jack the Ripper. It is great for wake and bake, but not for bedtime. Sorry.

I would steer you (or your wife) toward high CBN strains. Or just old weed. THC degrades to CBN as it oxidizes over time, and CBN is the best sleep remedy that there is. Red Lebanese hash was (and is) high in CBN. It is also high in CBD and THC. CBN works best with THC and CBD in the mix. Which is why Lebanese hashish is so good. Strawberry Haze is said to have a fair amount of CBN. Also late harvest weed is said to have more CBN (as the THC oxidizes). Some say that indicas have more CBN, which causes the couch lock effect. I smoke GDP (or Grape Ape) to get to sleep myself. No super munchies, good high, good for sex, and good for insomnia. Blue Dream also puts me to sleep.

BigSur, first off ... I'm new to growing my own ... and new to figuring out all the strains. I knew that THCV and addressing insomnia were unlikely to be a good fit. I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in a different direction. I'd heard about late harvesting, but had totally forgotten about it (good tip!). Thanks for all the info and the Grape Ape, Blue Dream, and GDP pointers. I'll do more investigating.

BTW, how to you like the Durban Poison effects and growth habits?

Great White Shark is also something to check out. It was a CBD strain before they bred CBD strains and it still had good levels of THC too.

BigSur, first off ... I'm new to growing my own ... and new to figuring out all the strains. I knew that THCV and addressing insomnia were unlikely to be a good fit. I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in a different direction. I'd heard about late harvesting, but had totally forgotten about it (good tip!). Thanks for all the info and the Grape Ape, Blue Dream, and GDP pointers. I'll do more investigating.

BTW, how to you like the Durban Poison effects and growth habits?

Well, THCV and insomnia are not good together. Durban keeps me up at night if I smoke it after 6pm. But if I want to stay up all night and party? Its great for that. I prefer sativas, as I was weened on them in the 70s ad 80s as all Mexican, Colombian and Thai was pure land race sativa then. Durban is my favorite of all sativas, as it has a lift to it but it is not rushy, like Cinex. Nor does it have any paranoia or give me the willies. It good for getting things done on. But too much... I always want to smoke MORE Durban, and then I can get too high on the stuff. Not a bad thing, but I have to pace myself these days. I love THCV, and Durban has a lot of it.

Durban growth habits are highly variable. The history of the strain is online, as Ed Rosenthal brought it back from South Africa and worked it for a few years, and then handed it off to Mel Franks to work it some more. Then Mel shipped seeds to Holland where it was crossed with Skunk. I have Durban land race seeds from South Africa but they bloom super early. Like now early. You can do a search on landraces and my posts on this site about growing Durban. I just posted photos of it on my 70s landrace strains thread here as well. I have some more Durban that I got as clones growing now, but they are likely the crosses with Skunk. I also have some other seeds that I got in an eighth of seeded Durban that I will try growing next year. That was some kick ass Durban. But I do not know what the father strain was to make these seeds. It will be a mystery Durban strain I guess.

High TCHV is typically only found in speedy sativas and sativa dominant strains

Can't say I've ever heard of a "trippy" indica, either. Which is kind of a shame, lol - such a thing might make for some interesting dreams ;) .

Yes, the truly psychedelic strains that I have smoked were mostly sativas. Like Colombian Black, AKA: Wacky weed. Or South Indian black ganja. Or the best Guerrero. Sativas can also knock you out, like lowland Colombian Red. But they hold the line when it comes to speedy strains.

Cherry Pie is a cross of Durban and Granddaddy Purple, and while it is more like Durban than GDP, it is not up to the same level as ether parent. Which is a shame. They are my favorite two strains. I can fill a bowl with both and get a great high. But typically I smoke Durban in the morning and GDP in the evening, and again if I cannot get to sleep.

Durban was the main strains that I'd narrowed in on to grow, while doing my research to "start" growing. I was aiming towards starting with some auto's since I want to grow NOW! ;-D But, I'd likely switch to feminized seeds for our normal growing season (Colorado). BigSur, I'll go search out your posts (thanks again). GDP was also on my short list, but I'd found so many hybrids that I got a bit overwhelmed.

Cherry Pie is a cross of Durban and Granddaddy Purple, and while it is more like Durban than GDP, it is not up to the same level as ether parent. Which is a shame. They are my favorite two strains. I can fill a bowl with both and get a great high. But typically I smoke Durban in the morning and GDP in the evening, and again if I cannot get to sleep.

BigSur,
I've been striking out on finding Cherry Pie seed (without further hybridization). Any experience on finding a source? I'd prefer an auto at this point, but would work with anything at this point. I'd understand if you'd prefer not to post.

I'm having a tough time finding strains with notable THCV levels ... particularly in a strain that would also address insomnia. My wife has major insomnia which can be addressed by Indica strains but it seems to be the Sativas that typically have THCV. THCV reduces the munchies issue which is something she truly would like to avoid.

Can anyone point me to strains (where seed is available) with high THCV levels in an Indica or hybrid?

For insomnia, try CBN. You typically will find this in buds that have aged or been cured for a few months or more. THC degrades into CBN over time. Also plants harvested when trichomes are mostly amber typically have higher CBN levels.

CBN a little goes a long way, and it definitely makes you sleepy

BigSur,
I've been striking out on finding Cherry Pie seed (without further hybridization). Any experience on finding a source? I'd prefer an auto at this point, but would work with anything at this point. I'd understand if you'd prefer not to post.

As a rule I do not grow autos. I grow outdoors (in a legal state) and control blooming by light deprivation. Though with Durban, there are some SUPER early types that I grew this year from seed from ZA that act like autos. We have already harvested them. Little short 18 inch plants that started blooming in early June.

I have not found any Cherry Pie Seeds, but I do not buy modern seeds as a rule. For several reasons, mainly the InsAnE PRICES! I also have my own large catalog of land race seeds. I buy clones of modern strains here locally for $5-15. Already sexed females, regular plants, known strains. Just about EVERY dispensary medical or rec has Cherry Pie clones here in Oregon. It is the most common strain that they have this year, really. I was going to buy one when I picked up two local more modern Durban Poison clones (to replace the seedlings that bloomed) that I am growing now, but I was talked out of it by the gal behind the counter. She said that Cherry Pie ABSOLUTELY REEKS! I said that Durban has a strong smell, and that I live out in the boonies. She said that she also lives in the boonies, and she still had to put carbon filters on her exhaust fans on her greenhouse growing Cherry Pie last year. So I was talked out of it.

I do not buy modern seeds as a rule. For several reasons, mainly the InsAnE PRICES!

I agree that some seeds are somewhat expensive. But, considering what comes from them, I'd say they're a bargain ;).

As a rule I do not grow autos. I grow outdoors (in a legal state) and control blooming by light deprivation. Though with Durban, there are some SUPER early types that I grew this year from seed from ZA that act like autos. We have already harvested them. Little short 18 inch plants that started blooming in early June.

I have not found any Cherry Pie Seeds, but I do not buy modern seeds as a rule. For several reasons, mainly the InsAnE PRICES! I also have my own large catalog of land race seeds. I buy clones of modern strains here locally for $5-15. Already sexed females, regular plants, known strains. Just about EVERY dispensary medical or rec has Cherry Pie clones here in Oregon. It is the most common strain that they have this year, really. I was going to buy one when I picked up two local more modern Durban Poison clones (to replace the seedlings that bloomed) that I am growing now, but I was talked out of it by the gal behind the counter. She said that Cherry Pie ABSOLUTELY REEKS! I said that Durban has a strong smell, and that I live out in the boonies. She said that she also lives in the boonies, and she still had to put carbon filters on her exhaust fans on her greenhouse growing Cherry Pie last year. So I was talked out of it.

The only reason for going 'auto' was so that I could start something now and have a chance of it growing to harvest. I'm in CO, so growing is legal (6 plants per person). I thought that with some various autos growing, I'd be able to down select to some feminized seeds and/or clones to start next year outdoors. We have a tough/dry/short growing season where I live. I didn't want to just wait until next year. Interesting info about the Cherry Pie aroma ... I too live rather rural.

For insomnia, try CBN. You typically will find this in buds that have aged or been cured for a few months or more. THC degrades into CBN over time. Also plants harvested when trichomes are mostly amber typically have higher CBN levels.

CBN a little goes a long way, and it definitely makes you sleepy

Thanks for the insight. I've been trying to target CBN strong strains ... but how strong is strong enough? What I 'think' I've determined is that CBN in the 1-3% range should work well enough for insomnia without trying to go to something higher. We've not attempted to quantify that for ourselves. And I was trying to find something that also had THCV ... thus the Unicorn label :-D

The only reason for going 'auto' was so that I could start something now and have a chance of it growing to harvest. I'm in CO, so growing is legal (6 plants per person). I thought that with some various autos growing, I'd be able to down select to some feminized seeds and/or clones to start next year outdoors. We have a tough/dry/short growing season where I live. I didn't want to just wait until next year. Interesting info about the Cherry Pie aroma ... I too live rather rural.

I thought that you could only legally grow personal weed indoors in Colorado? Also this late in the season, if growing outdoors they are going to bloom pretty soon anyway. Also note that auto genetics are recessive. So selfing your own auto seeds may or may not result in what you want. If you feminize your own seeds, they are more likely to herm on you in later generations. For that reason I use only standard seeds. Cloning autos is also very difficult. It can be done, but... better to get some regular plant female clones now and run then outdoors and bloom the little plants, and then re-veg them indoors under HID bulbs and keep them growing indoors through the winter. That is what I am doing with my late purchase J1 and Grape Ape clones that I just got. I will clone them and a Lebby and a Durban later after harvesting and re-vegging under HID lights, and then root the clones under T-8 lights, and size them up under T-8. Then in late winter I will pot them up and size them up under MH HID lights, and put them outside in March around the equinox (12/12 light everywhere that day on Earth), and let them bloom for the spring. Once they set their blooms they will keep blooming, regardless of the lengthening days. Then harvest in late June and re-veg the fully rooted plants outdoors (takes 10 days or so), and then have a second and larger harvest in the fall. I did that last year with great results. Since we are limited in the number of plants, doing this can greatly increase your legal harvest.

And I was trying to find something that also had THCV ... thus the Unicorn label :-D

If/when you find a CBN keeper, cross it with an Asian or African landrace sativa, maybe a Thai or Durban Poison, then play around with back-crossing and recrossing for five or six generations, trying to select for the presence of THCV without losing what it was that made you pick the CBN strain.

EDIT: I saw an article which stated Tangie has .3% THCV, Pie Face OG has almost .5% (thanks to Durban Poison genetic content).

Thanks for the insight. I've been trying to target CBN strong strains ... but how strong is strong enough? What I 'think' I've determined is that CBN in the 1-3% range should work well enough for insomnia without trying to go to something higher. We've not attempted to quantify that for ourselves. And I was trying to find something that also had THCV ... thus the Unicorn label :-D

As it turns out, you may be in luck. I got a poster of the Therapeutic Uses of Cannabinoids from Weedmaps yesterday at a dispensary. On it it lists that CBN is good for insomnia, pain, slows bacteria growth, helps with muscle spasms, and (get this) is good for appetite suppression. So it is like THCV to suppress appetite, but w/o the speed. So think you want older well cured weed with CBN in it. My brother noticed it the other day, that the weed that we grew here last year is mellowing nicely. I have noticed that OG Kush is getting better a year later.

And BTW, according to the official Colorado state web portal, you cannot grow personal home grown weed outdoors in Colorado. Legally that is. Also you can grow 6 plants per person in Colorado, of which only 3 may be mature. But that is 6/3 plants per person, not per residential address like in Oregon. Though we get 4 plants of any size here, no mature/immature plant designation unless it is for medical grows.

Colorado home grow laws, from the horse's mouth: Home grow laws | Colorado Marijuana

Coloradans can grow marijuana in their homes for personal use.
Up to six plants are allowed per Colorado resident over age 21, with as many as three plants flowering at one time.
Don’t forget that counties and municipalities can pass stricter laws. For example, Denver limits a home grow to 12 plants, even if there are three or more adults over age 21 in the residence.
The laws are different for medical marijuana users.
Marijuana plants must be kept in an enclosed, locked area that can’t be viewed openly. This means the plants can’t be outside.
At homes with residents under 21, any marijuana grow area must be enclosed and locked in a separate space that minors can’t access.
At homes without residents under 21, extra precautions must be taken to make sure any visiting youth don’t have access to marijuana plants.
Homegrown marijuana or marijuana products can’t be sold to anyone.
Only licensed grow establishments can sell marijuana products.

:laughtwo: Gotta love the "laws" ... I've seen them interpreted in so many ways, but I know how to read them correctly.

When I say growing outdoors, it looks like it will be in my greenhouse; likely in 10gal pots (or similar). I was gonna play with a few autos over this fall/winter to get some of the inevitable "learning about growing cannabis" under my belt. Then move on to an outdoor growing operation in a greenhouse, weather permitting next spring. I don't really have a good area (nor funds) to set up a tent/lights/humidity/temp control/filtering etc. insight my house. sigh ...

I know that I can only have 3/6 plants flowering at one time per person, so I should be able to have up to 6 plants flowering/producing at any one time for the two of us. It would be nice to be able to have some backup plants for those times that plants die, get diseased, or whatever. With feminized seeds, I should be able to keep some plants from producing ... right?

Back
Top Bottom