Seedling stunted?

Southerncough

Hi guys,
2 weeks ago I started this little auto (fem) OG Kush bean that came as a gift with purchase in a wet paper towel, it took a few extra days than normal to show me her taproot. Once the root was about a half inch I gently moved her to a solo cup of 50/50 perlite/coco under fluorescent lights and a few days later she popped through with her baby leaves. However, for the last week she's stayed right there with no extra growth. No yellowing or discoloration, she has some feet down because if I pull gently on her stem she doesn't budge or wiggle...just hanging out. Usually I'll have at least a set of small fan leaves by now?

Has anyone else had this happen? Wondering if I should keep babying her or let her go since the autoflower clock's ticking? Bad genetics? disease? it's like she just ran out of gas.
Today I gave her a super light feeding of GH Grow (1/4 dosage). Will give her through Saturday to make the call if nothing changes hmmm :scratchinghead:

Was holding near my LED during photo, she's been sitting under fluorescent for a week

20170822_140422.jpg

Must just be adjusting. The fact that it is still alive is a good sign. Plants don't like to be messed with much tell they get a good root system. It would have been better to put it in a cup with more soil but just leave it as is for now and let it build a root system. In the future it is best to go right into a full solo cup as soon as the shell has popped. Then it has plenty of room to build a root ball before any transplanting takes place. Keep it moist but not over watered and good luck with it.

Thanks,
the pic is a little misleading as the cup's about 3/4 full. I left some room in case she got leggy and needed some extra soil to support the stem (made that mistake in the past).
Just checked on her today and still alive but still no fan leaves. Saturday will be 3 weeks since she went into the cup. Just weird.

Could it be heat? It is kinda hot in there (90's) I've got some veggie sprouts keeping her company (squash, tomatoes, peppers, etc.) that I germed at the same time and they're all on their 2nd & 3rd nodes already. Couldn't be too hot to sustain life because they're rockin out LOL.

The 90's is pretty high. Usually when I have to deal with temps that high I have troubles. Might be a good time to come up with a back up plan. Seedlings start slow but not that slow. Sometimes weak plants always stay weak plants. This early in the game it might be best to go with a plant that gets a better start. If this sprout comes around all the better If not you at least have a plant to grow.

Thanks Jackalope, I'm thinking the same thing.
unfortunately I can't do a whole lot about the temp as my garden is out in the garage in august, but that's actually why I figured I'd throw a freebie auto out there to play with until october so it'd be cool enough to get serious again (VERY tropical here). Can't wait to play with some dutch seeds I picked up in Amsterdam over summer:wood:
In the meantime I have a few mango autos that I might start in my office under a CFL and move them out to the garage once they get a few fan leaves

Sounds like we deal with similar problems. I grow extra plants in the fall and winter months to carry me through the hot months. The best I can do in summer is temps around 90 degrees. Which is better then the high 90's that is was. Still to high for serious growing. Long down time between crops but it seems to be working so far. One real plus is the nice colors you get when dealing with colder temps. My high and low temps can be as much as 80 degrees and 40 degrees in a day. Its a lot easier to add a space heater for super cold temps then it is to keep everything cool enough for healthy growth.

I agree with Jackalope. The heat has gotta be the problem. I've only seen one or two other plants that small at 3 weeks, they were also autos, and they all came through and started developing after about another week..I never saw the finished grow or anything beyond that point but just food for thought

Well, it looks like she's finally made a tiny bit of progress. Not sure if you can tell from the close-up, but there's a tiny new leaf coming up in the middle. Really thought at 3 weeks she'd be almost a bush, but for giggles gonna let her ride out and see what happens.
In the meantime she's keeping my squash, sunflowers, and tomatoes company. Wound up having to start over with them in my grow room because the &^% squirrels chewed up my first round of sprouts...

20170829_140259.jpg
20170829_140527.jpg

Back
Top Bottom