Pollinating Female With A Male From Same Parent

OlderStoner

I have two plants grown from seed that I know are from the same mother plant. One of them has just shown it's sex and is a male. While I can't be sure about the other yet, it does look like it's a female. However, as one can easily see, they are brother and sister, if you will. I would like to get some more seeds so I'm thinking of keeping the male around. But is it worth the effort seeing how both of these plants are so genetically similar being from the same mother plant?

That's how they stabilize genetics thru "back crossing", they won't all have the same genetic make up even from the same plant necessarily. Why some seeds from some Breeders you can end up with 4-5 different phenotypes from the same seeds, and others you might only have one or two as literally takes years to do it "right" (well according to some anyway). So you could end up with something very similar or if one of them has different traits (like with close percentage hybrids you can have a leans Indica or leans Sativa phenotype from the same plants seeds especially if the strain isn't very stable). Search: "IBL Cannabis" (In Bred Line) if you want to read more on breeding, as I can't always get the words to come out of my head and make sense (especially when I'm still on my first cup of coffee in the morning ;) :rofl: ).

Nothing wrong with keeping a male around if they have superior genetics. If you are going to keep a male it is best to do so through a large selection process. Which you were not able to do. If you need seeds you need seeds and you should be able to get some as you have planned. Probably won't be epic but it could fill your needs. Continued crosses may stabilize the strain. What are you stabilizing is the question.

that's how they do it in the wild. think about it. seeds from the same parent grow close. plants aren't like animals. they can even breed with themselves and the offspring wont all be exactly the same. I grew hermie seeds and one was all female and the other mostly male.

Back
Top Bottom