Using seed from Hermaphrodites

philthegeek

Hi all.

Started with 10 plants. 5 turned out male, 5 female. Further into the grow, 4 of the 5 females developed male flowers. Now have 5 plants with lots of swelling calyx's and will get quite a few seeds. Couple of questions would appreciate feedback on.

Have read that seeds from hermaphrodites (that have been pollinated by hermaphrodites) will be pretty much "feminised" seeds. Anyone with real world experience with this able to comment??

Am keeping an eye on these with regard to when to harvest and start another grow. Pistils browning off, some of the calyx are quite large now, trichomes have heads, but are clear, no amber as yet.

But.. would like to know if there is any point in growing these past the point where the seeds are full mature and brown / striped?? Would assume plant is pretty much finished with itself once seeds are done??

Last q. With these seeds, can you germinate straight away after they have matured, or do they have a dormancy period, simulated winter (fridge??) or what??

Forcing a plant to hermie will make female seeds. Sounds like you will have female seeds. Not sure if they will all hermie or not but some will. Hermie traits transfer just like the others do. Once seeds are finished they should be dried for around 3 months before use.
My opinion only. Others may disagree.

thanks all.

I think i'll keep the seeds dry for the 3 months or so. Makes sense to me.

Be interesting to see the proportion of females from that seed. Hopefully all or at least most female.

Is not a prob as i have 6 cuttings from my one fully female plant on the go. :) Good news is one of my cuttings from that plant is already showing roots out of its jiffy pot. Cuttings were taken on day 31 of flowering (9 days ago) and were fully in flower, one even had seed forming. Pleasing. :)

The "hermie tendency" getting passed on expected. I'm thinking to treat any plants from this seed in very conventional fashion. Top them twice and some LST to spread them out would be all. Hopefully get through flowering with no boy bits forming??

Had a look this morning at the clones i had taken from plants i now know go hermie. Put them under 12/12 in my main tent just to flower them for buds.

2 of them showed male flowers so think i will write off their genetics. and harvest them soon as.

2 however seem to still be all female. Am going to let those run awhile and see how they go. Possible they may be hermie for "environmental" reasons, not genetic and have less bias that way.

Seeds seem to be filling out nicely. Whatever, even with the hermaphrodites i'll have a stock of seed that will give all or mainly females, i can start from again if i have probs with the clones of my one fully female plant. :)

And frankly, even the leaf of the hermied plants has turned out to be a very nice, very mild, quite pleasant smoke.

Had a look tonight and checked for more male flowers. Looks like one of the plants (my#10) throws not so much male flowers but anthers. Found a few with anthers growing out from inside an apparently female flower.. Sneaky Hermie.

I had a friend grow out a 10 pack of Lavender. Everything hermied in 1 way or the other LOL. Even the males had hairs coming out of some of the male flowers. Luckly 1 female. Only had a couple balls here and there it was seeded by 2 different males. Deep Purple and Da Purps.

I'm growing the Da Purps cross now. Only 1 male early on. No signs of hermie so far. So far it looks like hermies can be bred out. Though I feel this strain is like a Crackhead and can never be fully trusted.

I think i will learn to love my hermies and be a bit relaxed about it :) Had a discussion with the guy i got the seeds from that are my current plants. Apparently he picked them up from a breeder he knows and they are actually White Widow crossed with something else. Breeder was going for a bit lower THC and higher CBN levels.

Suits my purposes, especially if i wind up with female seeds that, if treated well during the grow, dont always go hermie. Next grow will focus on using the cuttings i have from the one female plant that did NOT go hermie at all. Will use that as a mother plant and try to derive some feminised seed form it.

Just throwing this out there but I had a hermie that I used for making cannabutter for edibles. Removed seeds for next gen and used the plant. Win win in my opinion.
420-magazine-mobile1306733011.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1782136702.jpg

Hmmmm...think is know what you mean. One of the plants i have that actually seems MOST likely to go hermaphrodite would have been my pick as best female plant of my lot...apart from the hermie tendency.

I had a plant hermie and grew out the seeds. kept two plants. One was all female and one was 90% male with some pistils

I have found that Hermie covers a lot. A lot of strains will throw a male flower here and there. Many putting out bananas at the end with little or no pollen. This also tends to happen when it is to late to make seeds. These I do nothing about. Others will just throw male flowers on the lower branches which are easily trimmed off. While a pain in the ass these can all be finished fine. The only Hermies I kill are the ones with male flowers everywhere. I had some copy Chocolope fem. that were full on hermie which is a shame. Hard to see a great plant start putting out male flowers in all the buds.
If you have to keep or seed a hermie plant. Do it with solid genetics. Hermie can be bred out with the use of stable genetics if done right.

Hey all, I grew my first plant last year. Wanted to see if I could do it and with lockdown it was a fun project. It was a seed from a family members plant and I really didn’t expect it to grow! The plant ended up stressed near end of July early August due to low nitrogen and uneven watering And I believe it went hermaphrodite. I managed to get some very loose bud that a friend said would be better for butter but also a lot of seeds. I kept the seeds and have started 24 of them to see what I can do this year with my knowledge of what I did wrong. It has been four days and I already have six sprouts. I’m hoping that of the 24 I end up with at least 1 female. Any tips or advice or even “what tolook” for as I grow this time? Anyone had any success with hermie seeds? was my plant actually a herm or was the bud that way due to stress? Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom