Deep Purple

Jackalope

I am planning to start working with my Deep Purple seeds. Everything I have heard is to look for a short purple plant to use as a mother. What I can't find out is how rare are they?

Also how good do the discarded females get?

I have plenty of these seeds so I'm sure I can find a mother in there somewhere. I just want to be able to enjoy the not so perfect plants. Also if these little purple females are so rare Then should I make some of these seeds available to someone searching for a great Deep Purple plant?

Yeah. They were part of a breeding program for a great Purple plant. A 10 pack of TGA seeds was grown out. All the males were crossed with all they females. It is a broad spectrum of Deep Purple genetics.
The breeder uses this style so all the genetics are there. He can then choose plants to work with.

I got the one I had as a Clone from Dispensary, have a 5 pack of seeds I haven't tried to pop yet. Mine turned a nice purple (was my first grow and inside a cabinet, so wasn't a huge plant):
0013099.JPG

On the right, the left is a Dairy Queen I got at Dispensary at same time:

0032884.JPG

Not real sure how many purple ones were in the original 10 pack. As with most purple strains only a few will be purple. While purple strains may not be the strongest. They usually excel in flavor.

The purple project went way deep into the types of purple each strain has. There is supposed to be 3 different anneals that carry purple. 1 colors the top of the leaves 1 the bottom of the leaves and the last brings purple to the buds themselves. The final outcome of the purple project is excellent. There is a pheno with all three anneals. It shows up about 1 in 10 and can be used as a mother for excellent purple bag appeal. Though I do believe one of the green or partial purple plants is the strongest. The other plus in this was the seeds created during the search.

Here is a few of the strains used in the project.
Mendo Purps,
BCBD Purps,
Seedking Purps,
Queckel,
Deep Purple,
Blackwater,
Lavender,
Purple Erkel,
The seeds of the last were supposed to be a feminized Eckel that came from private stock. Seeds were very hard to germinate and needed help getting their shells off. The plant had twisted leaves which is a Eckel trait. The grower believed it was a true Eckel. It was later crossed to a Querkle for seeds.

I'm rambling now. Long story short. I have a great purple strain. My search now is for that perfect grape smell and flavor that comes with the small Deep Purple pheno

Sounds like you have a keeper. I grew out 4 dark devil's from sweet seeds. 1 green and 2 light purple and 1 dark purple. All were good smoke but they were auto's so no mother plants. I would love to get a keeper purple pheno. It's really a different terp for sure

I guess the only way is to grow some out. I am not set up to try very many plants at once and still fill my needs. It may take a while this way. It would be nice to grow a bunch of plants out to choose a mother.
When I do get around to running this I will try and get some percentages on pheno types. There is excitement in the search so it should be fun. I just hope the also ran pheno's are decent.

I read that TGA subcool genetics burned down last month in the wildfires in California. I'm going to try and get a pack of Deep purple before they are all gone. I read he lost a bunch of his strains in the fire

I read that TGA subcool genetics burned down last month in the wildfires in California. I'm going to try and get a pack of Deep purple before they are all gone. I read he lost a bunch of his strains in the fire

Bad news! Mojo sent to TGA...what a bummer!

That's a new one for me too. So sad. While any loss of genetics is a pure shame. Rebuilding your life is never easy. Hopes and prayers for all those at TGA

Agreed! Losing that cache seems way worse than just losing a harvest. Love what Subcool's done. I grew their Space Candy outdoors this year. Great plant, currently curing. Will do the smoke test in a coupla weeks, but I know it's gonna be good! Hope they recover ok. They're topnotch breeders!

Agreed! Losing that cache seems way worse than just losing a harvest. Love what Subcool's done. I grew their Space Candy outdoors this year. Great plant, currently curing. Will do the smoke test in a coupla weeks, but I know it's gonna be good! Hope they recover ok. They're topnotch breeders!
I grew space candy last year. It's TGA genetics. But the pack I had had a "hero's of the farm" logo on it. They are partners with subcool.

One bright spot I can see is. To many times genetics have been lost in situations like this. Pretty sure Subcool would never leave all his eggs in one basket. TGA shares and works with lots of breeders and growers. Hopefully the older genetics were not lost.

That's a bummer, I really didn't want to buy any more seeds at this time :rofl: but may have to as really liked that Deep Purple clone I bought (but haven't tried any of the seeds I bought and I only have 5 packs of the Deep Purple, Dairy Queen, Ace of Spades, Galactic Jack......a bunch I haven't tried yet along with some other Breeders, so I'm probably set for a long time anyway ;)).........decisions decisions ;) :rofl:

I just got this from subcools IG. Looks like this is a list of the strain's he had available last weekend for the high times Cali harvest cup. He said that these will never be offered again. He didn't say if these were the only ones that have been lost. I know he has breeders he works with like "hero's of the farm", norstar and galactic gardens here in Michigan. Anyways here's the list
420-magazine-mobile1305731476.jpg

I heard that Pinot Noir was lost forever. Other strains were lost but the building blocks are still there. I got lots of the Querkle if anyone at TGA is interested.

LOL we all would love more seeds. I'm sure I'm not the only one with TGA genetics stock piled. They probably would not except them anyway. TGA's focus will now have to change because of the circumstances. Because of this they will probably find new strains they may never have found.
Great things can come from strong adversity.

Back
Top Bottom