Brixnewb's Black Thumb Guide To Cloning

BrixNewb

As growing cannabis goes, I have a bit of a black thumb. I always like to find the most foolproof way whenever I can, and I think I have found just that for taking clones. Cloning was never SUPER hard for me, but I have had my shares of failures with it and I think I have found a pretty much FOOLPROOF way of cloning, so I wanted to share it with everyone.

Things you will need:

Rooting Gel/Powder of your choosing
Gallon size freezer bag
Solo cup or similar
Rapid Rooter/Root Riot/similar plug
Screw or something similar to penetrate root plug and make a hole for the cutting
Cutting

DSC_0011164.JPG

First thing I do is take my cutting, cut off fans or cut them back depending on what I am working with. This cutting had some smaller fans so I just clipped the lower fans. I then place the cutting into the Clonex gel (some consider this a no-no since you are technically contaminating your rooting gel, but it works well for me) and let it sit there while I prepare the rooting plug.

DSC_0012163.JPG

Next I take a screw and make a hole in the rooting plug for the cutting to slide into. I don't go crazy because I want this to fit tight against the cutting.

DSC_0013146.JPG

Next we simply pull the screw out of the plug and slide the cutting into the plug. We don't want to go too deep, I want the cutting to be completely encapsulated in the rooting plug.

DSC_0014151.JPG

Next we take our rooting plug with the cutting in it and place it into the Solo cup. At this point I add a bit of water to the cup to the desired moisture level. I generally like the plug to have enough water so that it doesn't drip or release any water when squeezed lightly.

DSC_0015155.JPG

I then place the Solo cup into my gallon sized freezer bag. Before I seal it up I breathe a nice big exhale of CO2 into the bag and then seal her up. You can fit two Solo cups into a gallon freezer bag although it's a bit tight, works just fine for me. Since the freezer bag is airtight we don't have to worry about the moisture escaping, so you don't need to add any water while the clone is busy growing roots. All credit for the freezer bag idea goes to SweetSue.

DSC_0016147.JPG

I then place the gallon freezer bag in my clone area. My clone area is very rudimentary, but it works quite well for me. I bought a cheap clamp light with reflector from the local big box home repair store and put an incandescent bulb into it. I then plug it in to my veg timer using an outlet splitter so that my clone area and veg area are on the exact same light cycle. One day Tead and I were talking about clones and his methods versus my method and he hypothesized that clones need only minimal light since we are wanting them to grow roots instead of using light for photosynthesis, so I moved my clones out of my veg tent and into this little area and they are doing just as well if not better with the decreased amount of light.

DSC_0017129.JPG

Back
Top Bottom