Feminizing feminized seeds - Washout?

tannaberton

I have tried twice to get feminized seeds from feminized seeds with silver thiosulfate and, although a lot of male flowers did appear, they were not producing pollen at all, not even trying. Is this standard? I have done it for three years with regulars and it works slicker than snot on a doorknob. You can pollinate feminized plants with reg pollen and first time treated females. That works, but you now have a hybrid not the original unless you have an old brewery to grow enough plants both regular and feminized and so on. Mother Nature seems not to like it.
Got some good pics but it seems I can't add them, Bubba, Early Jack Herer, and Haze Extreme. Maybe next year.

I had the same problem trying to self and make female seeds from a regenerated Jack the Ripper. I regenerated 2 plants. 1 with lots of early frost and 1 with strong lemon smell. The 1 I sprayed with Tiresias mist put out tons of male flowers but no pollen. Out of 5 females in with the reversed JTR I got 1 seed. Those were regular seeds so it may not be the female seed part.

Trying Tahoe OG now. Half the plant was sprayed and is putting out male flowers on one side and big colas on the other. No Pollen yet but it is a week or so early. We shall see. I am growing seeds made this exact way so I know this process works.
Strain type might have a lot to do with weather a plant can be selfed. A friend has tried multiple times to self a great pheno from a Sour Diesel x Tahoe Og cross. 2 other pheno's have selfed fine. The one pheno I like the most produces beautiful seeds but their is nothing inside.

I have tried twice to get feminized seeds from feminized seeds with silver thiosulfate and, although a lot of male flowers did appear, they were not producing pollen at all, not even trying. Is this standard? I have done it for three years with regulars and it works slicker than snot on a doorknob. You can pollinate feminized plants with reg pollen and first time treated females. That works, but you now have a hybrid not the original unless you have an old brewery to grow enough plants both regular and feminized and so on. Mother Nature seems not to like it.
Got some good pics but it seems I can't add them, Bubba, Early Jack Herer, and Haze Extreme. Maybe next year.

tannaberton when did you stop spraying? I'm not seeing any pollen from the flowers that have opened. Kind of like what happened last time. I'm wondering if I stopped spraying to soon.

tannaberton when did you stop spraying? I'm not seeing any pollen from the flowers that have opened. Kind of like what happened last time. I'm wondering if I stopped spraying to soon.

I only spray once with a full strength solution. Always works with regular females but shooting blanks when tried with femenized females. Failed every time.

I used the Tiresias Mist. I continued spraying tell male flowers started to form and were prominent. I thought I may have stopped to soon creating only the flowers and not continuing long enough for them to make pollen. Looks like there is some pollen coming from the flowers now. Now the wait to see if seeds form.

I used the Tiresias Mist. I continued spraying tell male flowers started to form and were prominent. I thought I may have stopped to soon creating only the flowers and not continuing long enough for them to make pollen. Looks like there is some pollen coming from the flowers now. Now the wait to see if seeds form.

my luck, I didn't wait long enough. I will try one and see, Thanks.

It takes 4 to 6 weeks for seeds to mature. That's 4 to 6 weeks after pollen has shown up. Seeded plants should also be given plenty of nutrients so they can form healthy seeds. Because of this plants usually must be taken past ripe for seeds to mature.
Making seeds sounds like a lot of fun but usually it is a pain in the ass. Plants put out less trichomes because they have caught pollen. Then more trichomes die while you wait for seeds to mature. So in the end you get seeds but the weed is lower in THC and higher in CBD from all the old amber trichomes.
While seeds are great. Most growers want high quality weed with great flavor. After not flushing and maturing seeds all that is lost in a seed crop.

Very interesting thread. I have been using Colloidal Silver to reverse plants and have had not so much luck on getting pollen. Just blank male pollen sacks.... my first attempt with Black Cherry Soda was very successful but afterwords I have tried a few other strains with no luck, only blank pollen sacks.

All of my plant cultivars have come from clones, so I am unsure whether they originated from seed, or clone. Very interesting experience so far and theory and I wonder if this is why I am also having the same issue with male seed pods that produce no pollen....

Interesting share, thanks!

My try's have been the same. Not sure if the Tahoe OG put out any pollen. Some I think some but not very much.

I'm pretty sure I stopped to soon. In future try's I will continue spraying leaves tell well after male buds have formed. Normally I stop because it seems to be effecting the pollen sacks as they are being formed. By staying away from the bud parts you can still continue spraying for another week or 2. This will use more spray. As of yet I am wasting spray if I stop to soon and don't get pollen. I have made Regular seeds without a problem. Female seeds seem to be 0 for 2 so far we shall see.

SUCCESS!!!! Female Tahoe Og... After thinking my second try at female seeds was also a wash. I was proven Wrong. While I never saw any yellow powder on anything there must have been plenty of pollen. Seeds are starting to show up. The most prominent is a green one sitting right on top. Spotted it and looked harder. Looks like there is going to at least be few hopefully more. The plant stayed healthy so far and is not being flushed. Looks to be about a week if I was going to harvest for smoke. Going to give them at least 2 more weeks. I will harvest when I see most seeds are finished and brown. Weed won't be as good who cares. I will throw it in with the trim to make shatter at a later date. ...... Still yet to seen if they pop and grow. Tell that time I am just going to be happy with my first female seeds...... Well not first. I got one seed from my first try LOL.

I have found the same, there just ain't that much pollen but seems to be enough and it works.. Keep them growing until the little seed pods split and you can see a dark seed inside. Give 'em all the time they want.

SUCCESS!!!! Female Tahoe Og... After thinking my second try at female seeds was also a wash. I was proven Wrong. While I never saw any yellow powder on anything there must have been plenty of pollen. Seeds are starting to show up. The most prominent is a green one sitting right on top. Spotted it and looked harder. Looks like there is going to at least be few hopefully more. The plant stayed healthy so far and is not being flushed. Looks to be about a week if I was going to harvest for smoke. Going to give them at least 2 more weeks. I will harvest when I see most seeds are finished and brown. Weed won't be as good who cares. I will throw it in with the trim to make shatter at a later date. ...... Still yet to seen if they pop and grow. Tell that time I am just going to be happy with my first female seeds...... Well not first. I got one seed from my first try LOL.

Yeah that's the plan. No signs nutrient deficiencies so all is going well. The plant was pollenated early enough it looks like the buds should finish around the same time the seeds are if not oh well I would rather have the seeds. This is a cool Tahoe Og it is a real dank pheno. Unlike the other Tahoes I have grown. Not very lemony. Working on pics. I will try and post one of the Tahoe.

Here are a couple of pics.
Full Plant
100_03769.JPG

The seed can barely be seen. It is in the center of the photo. Still a little green.
100_03745.JPG

Back
Top Bottom