Can we talk about Cloning

K.puff&stuff

Hi guys I need a little more info on cloning. My crowns Royal are doing well and I decided to clone the biggest girl in the room. I read about cloning and I read people use rock wool. I don't have any rock wool and would like to put them directly in the dirt cup with ziplock on top. I'm planning on using my aloe vera plant for the root starter saw this on yt. But can I use potting soil for them. I'm going to cut from the the 3 crowns and take a litle more from the big girl.
I need about 20 clones. Is anyone interested in sharing there experiences with cloning with aloe vera and cups filed with dirt
Thanks

Dirt is fine. There's no reason you can only stick them in rockwool. Case in point I have two clones flowering right now that were cloned and put into dirt.

Try to use seedling soil if you can, regular soil or especially soil with fertilizer may kill your plants.
A ziplock for humidity should be fine, though you'll have to check it regularly so it doesn't mold. Some people use an empty fizzy drink bottle a cut off the bottom half, remove the lid, and use that as a humidity dome.
I've heard a little about aloe vera being used to help with clones though I've personally never used it. Some people can clone with just plain water and their medium. Aloe should help and if it doesn't you could look into getting some rooting gel/powder.
However many clones you need take a few more just to be on the safe side because not every clone will root.

You've probably already read up a lot on clones but they say to take the clone from the mother, cut the base of the clone at 45 degrees (for more surface area for more roots), put it in water for a minute or two so no air bubbles form, stick the base of the clone in your rooting solution (or aloe) then stick it in the soil, put it under a humidity dome, mist the leaves, and check regularly for mold and/or roots.

If your going to be cloning more then just once.

You should think about making or buying a cheap spay/mist cloner.

They are the fastest most sure fire way of cloning that I have tried.

I bought my first one on ebay for about 30 US and then I made another one out of a 5gal bucket.

I take my cuts with my old clippers and do not use any gels or powers or 45 degree cuts and for sure no domes.

Domes make the cutting work backwards. They will start taking in a lot of their water through their leaves and they will also need to be hardened before moving out of the dome.

With a spay cloner the cutting works just like it had been working on the mother and it will take all of it's water from it's stem.

I use nothing but z7 water treatment and 9.4ph tap water in the cloner. Then take my cuts and put them in a foam collar and into the cloner.

Then keep them in the dark for 24hrs and then into the veg tent but off to the side or in the shade of one of the plants. They do not need full light until they have roots. The roots should show between 5 and 7 days from going in the cloner.

Once the roots show I will add a tiny bit of nutes and ph the water and let them go about 5 more days and then the roots should be about a foot long and ready to be moved with no need to be hardened.

The z7 keeps everything clean and the spay cloner makes it easy.

Thanks you for the feedback guys Dukeo I have a question though about ez clone when the plant begins to root. You just transfer into a dirt pot and go from there. i seen some roots really take off with this system and some had some long roots. How did you transfer them with such long roots. or are you just working with Hydro
Nightmask
I understand clearly what your saying did you put them in grow room with the rest of them in a shady port of grow room or under fluorescent light

I do DWC with them.

But I also give some to my buddy that does dirt.

He just holds it in the pot and then slowly pours in dirt around the roots.(he puts some dirt at the bottom first and coils the roots at the bottom a little)

I am using leds in my veg tent. But fluorescent will work fine too.

All leaves should stay nice and green the whole way through.

If they get more light then they need they will try to grow when they do not have roots or nutes and they will burn up what they have stored in their leaves and then they will yellow.

I want them to rest and focus on growing roots and not trying to grow leaves.

That is the way it looked to me anyways.

The way I do it now all leaves stay green and the clones look happy all the way through.

I have seen some very sad clones over the years.

Happy ones do much better for me.

Once they are replanted they just take off instead of needing time to recover.

(I understand clearly what your saying did you put them in grow room with the rest of them in a shady port of grow room or under fluorescent light )

Yes I put them to the side of the light zone or where they get some shade from other plants or I move the light up. Just not full light until they have some roots showing.

Ok Maybe I can give both a try to see were it takes me. Trial and error is the only way to learn. I thank you guys. Have a safe and Happy Christmas to you all.

you can make your own cloner with a 5 gallon bucket, a pump, pvc pipe and fittings and some spray heads. just do a google search for clone machine it's pretty easy to make and very rewarding as well.

20170318_141831.jpg

20171003_200140.jpg

20171009_163327.jpg

Thanks MikeinMA dj1714 looks nice the bucket were do the the little basket come from i seen the neoprene insert on ebay also the little jet haven seen the little basket things. And do you put them in potting soil after your done or are you using DWC .

Those are 2" net pots with the bottom half cut off, with 2" neoprene inserts. I got those and the sprayers and pump from amaz*n. I picked up the bucket, pipe and fittings at Lowes.

I used the 3" net pots from amazon. For the neoprene I got an exercise mat from Walmart. I made a float out of some foam and a net pot for the fogger to sit at optimal level. I like this because it's silent. I have a timer that runs one hour off and one hour on.

I don't worry about the cut of the clone as the roots all seem to come from the stem, not the cut end

420-magazine-mobile1525632934.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1428167625.jpg
420-magazine-mobile276640235.jpg

Thanks you for the feedback guys Dukeo I have a question though about ez clone when the plant begins to root. You just transfer into a dirt pot and go from there. i seen some roots really take off with this system and some had some long roots. How did you transfer them with such long roots. or are you just working with Hydro
Nightmask
I understand clearly what your saying did you put them in grow room with the rest of them in a shady port of grow room or under fluorescent light

I'm still figuring out my grow room and where to put everything, but the clones I took and put into dirt were put under a humidity dome and put under just a desk lamp (for now).
I'm hoping to do something I saw off another guys journal (Twox) who puts his humidity dome and clones ontop of his T5 vegging light (so you get the heat from the light it's sitting on) with a smaller single bulb T5 ontop of that to give light to the clones. Not sure if I explained that right but the hope for the setup will be (in the veg tent): vegging plants on the bottom, 4 bulb T5 light for vegging plants, humidity dome sitting on top of the T5, and another single bulb above that to light the humidity dome. I still haven't tested it out so hopefully it works. Otherwise I'll just put the humidity dome on the floor or something with the light on top and transplant into the veg tent as the clones root and start re-growing.

Thank you very interesting info seem that putting stems in spray tank ezclones DIY systems seems to work great for you guys.
Maybe I can try something like that and when there ready gently plant them in potting soil. I will try both set up see what i can get out of them. I have to try to get at least 20 clones.
Happy Christmas guys
Joyeux Noel les Amis
Bonne annee

Half and half perlite and vermiculite works great for me. Cheap and easily available to everyone. It is a lot easier to keep moister and air content for the clones to root. Nutrients in the soil confuse clones. All energy should be used for rooting and not growth. All you need is some Clonex and a moist environment for them to work.

No I am supper simple. I mix the perlite and vermiculite 50/50. Then fill 4"x4" square pots with it. Moisten it well. After I take the clones I dip them in the Clonex and put them in the 4" pots then put the clones in a clear tote with a clear top. Leave the lid closed for the first few days. Make sure to spray them with water and keep plenty of moisture in the container. After a few days you can prop one side up with the handles to let in fresh air. Make sure the medium is moist but not soaked. I have a spray cloner but have yet to take it out of the box because this has been working fine for me..... Strain type and quality of clones probably has more to do with success rate then how the clones are rooted. Lots of good ways to choose.

Thanks Jackalope do you introduce them to light right a way or do you wait a few days?. I'm using the same mix with me seeds after germination they came up to see the light but after a week they haven't grown at all Nothing. I will try your cloning method and see what happens.

You should be fine. Starts will pop up show their first couple leaves then their growth will slow. Or at least it looks slow. Everything is going on underground. Once the root system has established growth will start. People want to water more or feed them to make them grow at this time and usually screw it up. once they have good roots they will take off.

Back
Top Bottom