How long before they wont germinate?

stackz

first post, hi guys!

I had 5 seeds from a friend that I got and I decided to try 3 of them outside in a pot with soil since it's been soooo warm lately (living WAY down south on the coast :cheesygrinsmiley:). Anyway, my fiance turned the pot upside down without knowing so she could see over the fence to grab a toke from our neighbor and I think those are lost now lol. I've spread that area out thinly and keep it wet "just in case" though.

anyway, that left me with two seeds and nothing to show. I've done a LOT of reading on here and decided to try the papertowel method on my remaining two seeds. I scuffed up one edge of each a little with some sandpaper and put them in the middle of a folded papertowel that was wet and then put that inside one of those little rubbermaid plastic food containers from the grocery store on top of my fridge. I aired it out this morning and this afternoon. There's nice humidity inside from what I can tell due to the condensation inside but no growth??

I thought I should see sprouting in 24hrs?? how long can I keep doing this before I know for certain the seeds are toast??

It sounds like you have it right. Some seeds will take a little more time to germinate, especially older seeds, and 24hrs. is actually quite fast. Scarification (or breaking of the seed casing) is not usually necessary but some people have reported faster germination times when using this technique. However, if you go too deep and damage the sprout it's game over. The best option is to just wait it out as germination can usually take up to a week using the paper towel method. I have had great sucess in the past using this method.

cool. I kept hearing that 24hrs was the rule so I was all pins/needles.

also, anyone tell me how long I should leave them in the papertowel before planting in a pot?? I wanna make sure I give these two the BEST chance possible since I have no clue when I might get any more seeds. I've got a steady supply right now but it is seed free "sigh"....

edit: oh yeah, how often should I re-dampen the paper towel?? as long as it's "wettish" its ok??

The parper towel doesn't need to be soaking wet, just damp. Once the seed cracks it is ready to be planted just below the surface of the soil.

well, I guess I was just paranoid....we have lift-off! woot!
I can give life lol.

anyway, gonna start a grow thread, wish me luck.

I guess I finally broke my cherry with growing...I feel slutty. :grinjoint:

I think my other seed MAY be germinating today. Not sure though. Its been a week and nothing so last night I grabbed it up and did a deep score along the seed shell halves. I looked at it this morning and it looks like it MAY be peeking out at the world.

I'm hoping that's what it's doing and not simply swelling with water haha.

cool. I kept hearing that 24hrs was the rule so I was all pins/needles.

also, anyone tell me how long I should leave them in the papertowel before planting in a pot?? I wanna make sure I give these two the BEST chance possible since I have no clue when I might get any more seeds. I've got a steady supply right now but it is seed free "sigh"....

edit: oh yeah, how often should I re-dampen the paper towel?? as long as it's "wettish" its ok??

greetings, the papertowel works great, some take awhile I check everyday, over the stove cabinett works wonders, any plastic container one for berries is great has slots for air, so when all failed I rinsed with my cocoction of hydor proroxide, I got 35 percent food grade but mix with water to cut down, and rinse seeds, they get air, so far rinsed one over two weeks no germinating and they did woo hoo,,, so again some not sprouting and rinsed again now two more woo hoo,,, also dump some on plants see the dirt bubble they get oxygen that was ,,, mix with water so wont burn roots when even my say 1/3 35 percent for foot spray gets on my hand wowww burn a bit turn white so got to be careful... hydo proxide can be used for many many things, cleaning, disinfect, revive plants, drink drops to detoxify, whiten teeth and clothes,,,,

So if still not germinating ,, give a rinse in your store bought hydro proxide make sure it is just water and hydro no other chemicals...

works for me...

Back
Top Bottom