Strain exhaustion

HUH? Please tell us what you mean, or at least me cause I don't have any idea what you are referring to. Are you asking when do you harvest? Or when it has lost the hybird vigor? Or is it something else?

I have been told that eventually the clones that i keep taking will "wear out"and then I have to move to a different strain or get the same strain newly generated from seed. No? Yes?-bd

My knowledge on this topic is limited, but I will try to help. Are you cutting the clones directly from a mother you have stashed away? Or are you buying a clone, growing it, and then taking a clone from the clone? If you are keeping a mother in a constant veg state and cloning from her, you should be good. Now if you are cloning from clones without keeping a mother.....not so good. This is kind of a confusing topic to talk about without, like, a chalkboard, or something like that to draw it out.

Thanks for the reply, then here is this, how long can you keep a mom plant in veg? Seems eventually it becomes root bound no matter how many different pots you transplant to, gets too big and takes up too much light and room. Am I just supposed to keep using it untill its dead or what. Seems eventually i would take a new clone and grow it up for a new mom. -bd

If you clone like that, then the answer is 'yes'. Your strain's genetics will eventually weaken to the point that it will no longer become a viable strain. Its OK to clone, but when you clone from a clone, you are losing small amounts of genetic information each time (see 'Multiplicity'). Over a period of time (a few years, perhaps), you will start to notice a drop in potency, as well as sickly plants, small flowers, decreased resistance to pests (mold, mites, and other creepy-crawlies) If you are looking to keep a mother in veg for an extended period of time, I would suggest checking out a book or two on bonsai. These books are great sources of knowledge for long-term growing. I have heard of some people keeping the same mother for years using bonsai methods. Doing this will involve dilligent pruning, as well as periodic trimming of the roots. While regular pots will work for mother duty, if you plan to bonsai, get a bonsai pot. They are shallower than the standard garden pot, but they have a very large lateral area that allows for greater expansion of the root system. Check out JoeBonsai.com. They have tools, pots, books, and other stuff that you may find helpful (or at the very least, interesting).

Hi, thanks for the rundown. So even though a start is from the same plant, that plants genetics vary from cutting to cutting. I guess I learned something today and Im not in school. Very good! Cheers!-bd

Back
Top Bottom