Cataract Surgery

chancedebris

I will be having cataract surgery soon. Is there any info on Vaping before or after? I hate to quit if not necessary, but on the other hand, I don't want to invite complications. I cannot trust asking providers in this state.
Any info will be appreciated.

I don't know how many doctors you could trust with an honest answer because surely there are many against mmj? I think I would not use Cannabis for a good day before surgery. Don't know why using it afterwards would hurt. But you prolly need a better answer than mine. :)

Might be best to wait until the implanted lens is properly fused. Ask how long before you can safely rub your eye if itchy. That would be a good indicator of when to resume cannabis.

I will be having cataract surgery soon. Is there any info on Vaping before or after? I hate to quit if not necessary, but on the other hand, I don't want to invite complications. I cannot trust asking providers in this state.
Any info will be appreciated.

Hey there, if you're still around inquiring minds want to know if you've actually got a more solid answer on this about whether you can have cannabis both before and after cataract surgery or not, so feel free to give us an update as my family member has Glaucoma and may be getting cataract surgery done soon, so this can be very insightful :)

Chiming in, in case anybody joins this conversation with experience in this issue. On my last eye exam, the doc said I am beginning to develop cataracts.

Sigh... getting old sux!!!

Because I didn't know who to ask...I didn't vape for a week or so before cataract surgery and I'm waiting until my final appointment, which is in mid-October, about 3 weeks after my 2nd eye was done. I'd just rather be safe than sorry. I can't imagine what harm it could do but who knows? And geezzz...you have to do so many eye drops there's no time to vape. LOL

:thanks:I too am facing cataract surgery soon and very interested in this topic, thanks for following up with your decision! I agree , it may of been wise to err on the side of caution! I have panic disorder and RA, and have found that some varieties of pot intensifies both pain from the RA and the panic attacks, while others help with the right dosage. With variables that can be found among strains and doses ,alone that is enough to prescribe a degree of caution! It would certainly be a tragedy if one got real stoned and had an itchy eye attack and forgot to use caution and damaged their eye! I live in one of the police states and have to travel to a free state to get access to Medical Marijuana products and have limited resources to finance travel with, so I hope I live to see free gardens in all of the USA, as well as Pharm grade MMJ products available everywhere!

T Tim...you're going to like what your cataract surgery does, but I will warn you. If you happen to have good "near" vision, that will be gone...so you'll just be trading off your good near vision to get good far vision instead. And you'll trade in one pair of glasses for another. It was a surprise to me that just having the surgery ruined my near vision, which was actually pretty good. In fact, before surgery I could just look under my little round-lensed glasses and read or work on my iPad. Didn't need bifocals or two pairs of glasses. Now I can't see near things at all without my 1.75 diopter reading glasses.

Now...you can opt to have good near vision too but you'll have to pay about $2,500 per eye to get it. I'm just assuming that Medicare will pay for your cataract surgery. Now about that. I ended up with 20/30 vision in my L eye and 20/50 in my R eye. 20/30 is pretty darned good, but 20/50 is just enough worse to make seeing well with both eyes just a little bit blurry...but actually not bad, at a distance. I thought I'd get 20/20 vision in both eyes, but that wasn't the case. Since the surgery I think I read online that 95% of folks get better than 20/40 vision. So most people probably don't end up with perfect 20/20 vision.

I wouldn't worry too much about injuring your eyes just because you're stoned. I just don't know how it will or won't interfere with your eye healing. It's just a big unknown. The cataract surgery is real easy-peasy...but using all those eye-drops does get wearisome before it's all overwith. Ha Good luck to you, and let us know how you do.

:thanks:
T Tim...you're going to like what your cataract surgery does, but I will warn you. If you happen to have good "near" vision, that will be gone...so you'll just be trading off your good near vision to get good far vision instead. And you'll trade in one pair of glasses for another. It was a surprise to me that just having the surgery ruined my near vision, which was actually pretty good. In fact, before surgery I could just look under my little round-lensed glasses and read or work on my iPad. Didn't need bifocals or two pairs of glasses. Now I can't see near things at all without my 1.75 diopter reading glasses.

Now...you can opt to have good near vision too but you'll have to pay about $2,500 per eye to get it. I'm just assuming that Medicare will pay for your cataract surgery. Now about that. I ended up with 20/30 vision in my L eye and 20/50 in my R eye. 20/30 is pretty darned good, but 20/50 is just enough worse to make seeing well with both eyes just a little bit blurry...but actually not bad, at a distance. I thought I'd get 20/20 vision in both eyes, but that wasn't the case. Since the surgery I think I read online that 95% of folks get better than 20/40 vision. So most people probably don't end up with perfect 20/20 vision.

I wouldn't worry too much about injuring your eyes just because you're stoned. I just don't know how it will or won't interfere with your eye healing. It's just a big unknown. The cataract surgery is real easy-peasy...but using all those eye-drops does get wearisome before it's all overwith. Ha Good luck to you, and let us know how you do.

:thanks:Thanks for your encouragement ! I already have poor vision both close up and distance and wear progressive lenses , so I guess that's not an issue for me! If I get better vision anywhere it would be an improvement! It may be a while before I get the surgery, The doctor said I can wait a year or more , probably, before it gets bad, since It was found while small, even though" it is a relatively fast growing form" I will wait till late spring due to some other health issues going on right now. I was just relieved to know why I had some blurred vision even with new glasses and that it was a relatively easy fix. I really doubt smoking pot would hurt recovery from any kind of surgery and probably would help, though I recently started to have some issues with Sativa strains increasing anxiety/pain awareness for me. Some good Afghan or other Indica types usually help me to relax and lessons pain from my RA.

Well you should be thrilled with cataract surgery. And you won't believe what you'll get back, because you don't even know all that you've lost. Let me explain. Before my surgery I read up on cataract surgery online. It kept talking about having 'cloudy' vision and I thought that was strange because I never had cloudy vision. HA...I just didn't know until surgery on my first eye. Now I knew what they meant. My old vision with my R eye was seeing a sort of dim yellowish tint in the room, so all I saw was a dull blurry yellow-tinted room...whereas my newly operated on eye was seeing that same room with absolute clarity...no yellowness, just clean crisp air, and the colors of everything were brighter. Who knew!

I had seen the eye doc in Oct of 2015 and she said it'd be another year or two before I'd need surgery. Well, after January my vision started really plummeting and in July I went back to see her. She took one look and just shut down the machine and said, "Let's make that appointment for your cataract surgery." She said she couldn't believe how fast they'd gotten so much worse. Anyhow, that made me real happy because my prescription sure wasn't helping me and it was really hard to see street signs.

So yeah...you may have to wait a while, but if you notice your vision suddenly starting to get bad pretty fast, go back to the doc. And know that you have something to look forward to. :)

What a happy find. I have the same question. Have surgery tomorrow, shitting bricks but looking forward to seeing better. Like Tim I have needed glasses for more and more. I opted for mono lenses with the understanding I will still require glasses for reading and computer. I can live with that. ;)

As for not smoking afterwards... not an option. It will help keep me still and give me patience to deal with humans underfoot. I know they're only trying to help but arrrrrrggghhh.

Hey Rocky, how long before you could bend over without risk? I've heard conflicting. I do rescue of abused dogs, have 14 in my care, the sooner I can put down and pick up water and food bowls, the sooner things go back to abnormal. ;) Incidentally, I am stoked to be able to see without the blurry greyish tone to things. I think I'll be amazed at how much vision I had lost. Most of all, I can't wait until it's freaking over. Right eye set for 15th. :)

Blessings & Joyous Howls ♪ ♫ ♪

I told my doc that my dog sleeps on top of my bed at night and asked how I was expected to get him there. He’s 28 pounds. She just said to pick him up and put him there. Haha (But that is...just once a day)

As for using your med after surgery...let us know how that goes. I’d think all should be fine. You’re going to like it...just reading glasses. I had almost perfect ‘near’ vision and the cataract surgery really blew that big time...super blurry now. So it was basically give and take for me...use glasses for near or use them for far. Good luck. :)

Thanks Rocky ;) Was reading other sites, one eye doctor said the advice to not bend down is antiquated and no longer a necessary caution. It started because the original incisions were much larger, thus more easily 'blow open'. Still, I'm sure there's some merit.

One site had me doubled over with laughter, the only reason they didn't recommend smoking afterwards is so you don't 'forget' and bend down. As if we're going to be brain dead and not be able to remember. I mean, people, how much are you freaking smoking to give that advice. lol

I won't lie, I'm waiting for my friend who is driving me and my pipe is looking very inviting. Nauseated and stomach doing flips. Just nerves but shit, I'll be glad when this is all over.

As for near vision, I don't see totally clear but it's not totally blurry either. Right eye is set for the 15th, my bday is the 20th.. I'm hoping I can see much better by then. ;)

Thankfully all my dogs can jump on the bed by themselves. ;) <3 Have a great day everyone. Ok..... off I go.... See you all later.

I'm baaaack. OMG the clarity, the brilliance of colors. It's astounding. And this is only one day after surgery.

Rocky, you had mentioned the yellow tint was gone. I thought mine was more grey than yellow... well, it was def yellow. I hesitate to tell you it also improved my near vision too. Did they say why yours got worse?

Anyone on the fence about having cataract surgery...... Be on the fence no more. It's mind boggling how much better I can see and the yellow blurry tint everything had is gone. (as long as I shut my right eye of course). No pain at all. Worst thing is the damn reaction to that freaking tape to hold the eye shield in place. ;)

Right eye in two weeks. :)

Your info is much appreciated Fishgoddess. ;)

I was upfront with my eye doctor from the very beginning, he knew I was going to smoke after the surgery. He tested the pressure in my eye yesterday, said it was excellent. I've had many concussions and suffer from vertigo type symptoms and associated nausea, tests have ruled out Meniere's Disease. I did some research and found that my symptoms are similar to people who have had multiple concussions. The mj allows me to be productive rather than walk around clinging to the walls on bad days.

Glad your surgery was a success Camille! I've had many concussions too and suffer from vertigo along with Lyme disease. I've got one eye that is nearsighted and one eye farsighted. Its strange. I've been working with a registered massage therapist doing matrix repatterning and its helping for sure with my balance.

Good luck Chancedebris! Hope all works out for you.

So just a follow-up.
My wife is having cataract surgery soon.
Any new information on cannabis use before and after surger?

We use capsules for sleep on a daily basis and I wonder if she should stop for a day or two?

Although I hate to see her go without sleep unnecessarily, (gets a bit grumpy, but don't we all)

Mike

Back
Top Bottom