Condo Huff - Don't Fear The Reefer

Herb Fellow

When Erin Maloughney came back from holidays — she was in Rhode Island over Christmas visiting her new niece, a cute little kid — she found a letter in the mail.

The letter, sent by lawyers representing the condo corporation that runs her building, is a modern bit of correspondence, unimaginable a few years ago. A few years ago the condo corporation would not have written any letters. They'd have called the cops.

Erin is a medical user of marijuana. She lives in a condominium downtown, a handsome and secure building not far from the subway, close to everything she needs. Her building has a pool, a sauna, a weight room, a library; she uses these often.

She is also licensed to grow a little dope at home, with the permission of the government. I think that makes the condo corporation nervous.

A bit of background:

Erin broke her back in a car accident when she was in high school. She recovered, painfully and partially, over several years.

And then, when she was grown up and working, she got clipped by a car while riding her bike downtown — the driver's fault — and she broke her back again.

The insurance settlement helped her buy the two-level, one-bedroom, big-city apartment where she lives. She no longer works. She is in constant pain.

She is growing 18 marijuana plants — that's all she needs — in what used to be the closet of her bedroom. The closet reno was done by a contractor friend; he did a nice job in a tight space.

But the condo corporation has expressed concerns about the safety of the wiring, and the possibility of mould. Erin said, "Those are valid issues in a multi-unit dwelling." She showed me around the other day.

Her closet is nothing like the drug-trade grow-ops you see on the news. It is not damp, nor a hothouse, nor does she use mass amounts of electricity, nor does she grow dope by the bushel, nor is there any danger from outsiders. Her building has a politely vigilant concierge on duty all the time.

Erin's needs are modest. She takes one hit every hour on the hour, using a black ceramic bong; when that moment came — you could tell it was coming on, because her eyes had gradually narrowed and her pain now seemed to radiate from every pore — she went outside on her balcony, fired up the bong with a barbecue lighter and inhaled once.

Legally, mind you.

She said that if she did not smoke, her pain would clock in at seven out of 10 if, on the pain chart, 10 is blow-your-brains-out misery. A single hit, once an hour, keeps her more or less at level three.

Beats opiates any day.

She said, "A lot of people think my garden grounds me. I sing to my plants. I worry about them. I spray them. It gives me something to do." That's important, when you can't walk very far. She said, "I have a green thumb. I'm good at what I do." But the letter from the condo corporation is stern.

She isn't sure what she will do.

You want a clue?

On her coffee table stands a handsome 18-inch figurine of Muhammad Ali, dressed in white trunks and wearing boxing gloves, circa the second Liston fight is my guess. Should anyone, butterfly or bee, float past the champ, a motion sensor kicks in and there is that voice: "I am the greatest."

If Erin were not also a pretty good fighter, she would not be walking today.
Stay tuned.

Source: The Toronto Star
Copyright: 2008, The Toronto Star
Website: TheStar.com | News | Condo huff: Don't fear the reefer

My published response... :smokin:

Ali
xx

TheStar.com | comment | The right to be free of pain

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

TheStar.com

The right to be free of pain

Jan 21, 2008 04:30 AM

Condo huff: Don't fear the reefer

Column, Jan. 18

Kudos to Joe Fiorito for his courage in asking us not to fear cannabis, but shame on the condo corporation that owns the building in which Erin Maloughney lives. Do Canadians still not realize that medical cannabis patients are here and we are not going away? Why, then, do so many people proceed to trample all over our rights?

The last thing anyone of us would do is put ourselves, our families or our neighbours in jeopardy in any way. We do not have indoor grow-ops; we have medical gardens.

We are tired of being treated like second-class citizens and we will be heard. We are sick, tired and have little left to fight for other than our health and our choice of medicine. We are in pain and suffer daily without cannabis.

Hey Alison!! Good post. Good to see you on the blog.

Looks by the article that we are making progress! Even though a letter was sent the cops were not called. Slow but sure!! We are making headway! (Pun intended :smokin:)

mM

Back
Top Bottom