Water level in bong?

MisterSniffle

I bet you see this one all the time :winkyface:

I've been quietly observing an argument between two people about the proper water level in a bong we're passing. It's become clear that the only way to get to the bottom of this is to ask here!

The bong is stemless and features a disc perc. I found this picture which is almost identical to the piece we're talking about:

Stemless bong with disc perc. How much water?

Stoner A says the water level should only be high enough to completely cover the hole that connects the stempiece(?) to the main tube. This is how much water we're using right now.

Stoner B says that the water should be high enough to cover the disc perc by about a half inch.

Whether the disc perc is supposed to be underwater or not is a serious bone of contention in this argument! :laugh:

It makes perfect sense to me that the disc should be covered with water, as well. Why in the world would they even put the disc perc in the bong if it wasn't supposed to be covered with water, as well. Does the disc make a huge difference in the quality of the smoke? I have been looking to purchase a new piece. I was browsing SmokeWire and noticed a few different bongs like this that I really like. I am looking to purchase a new device but want to do my research before I invest any money in a new pipe of any type.

Cover the disc !! Otherwise the percolator will just act as a sort of crap diffuser. Stoner A owes stoner B an extra go of a joint ;)

It makes perfect sense to me that the disc should be covered with water, as well. Why in the world would they even put the disc perc in the bong if it wasn't supposed to be covered with water, as well. Does the disc make a huge difference in the quality of the smoke? I have been looking to purchase a new piece. I was browsing SmokeWire and noticed a few different bongs like this that I really like. I am looking to purchase a new device but want to do my research before I invest any money in a new pipe of any type.

Hi Josh-

This particular pipe (with the blue diffuser) has become my favorite piece by far (I have five total). I think the disc perc is nicely effective- In my opinion beating the tree percs on my other pieces. It delivers good diffusion without adding too much drag. A couple blocks of ice down the tube makes for a pretty smooth smoke, even on really smoky sativas.

I really like the bowl it comes with, as well. It's almost a hemisphere, a nice big round bowl. Really easy to use with a screen.

Good luck on your quest. Shopping for new glass is a great joy! :bong:

-Sniff

Hi Motoco, thanks for joining the thread!

I'd like to challenge the "known fact" that bongs waste 40% (or really any) THC. Would you please enliven the discussion with what information you have to back up this claim?

THC is not soluble in water, and the material that may be left sticking to the glass piece are resinous tars. So, if THC is being lost as you claim, but it's not going into solution in the bong water and it's not sticking to the glass, where has it gone?

THC is alcohol soluble and fat soluble, though. You would definitely lose THC to solution if you were smoking from a bong that contained beer or whisky, or milk (as if anyone would use bongmilk- yech!)

Keep puffin!

-Sniff

I bet you see this one all the time :winkyface:

I've been quietly observing an argument between two people about the proper water level in a bong we're passing. It's become clear that the only way to get to the bottom of this is to ask here!

The bong is stemless and features a disc perc. I found this picture which is almost identical to the piece from the shop that we're talking about:
Stoner A says the water level should only be high enough to completely cover the hole that connects the stempiece(?) to the main tube. This is how much water we're using right now.
disc_perc.jpg

Stoner B says that the water should be high enough to cover the disc perc by about a half inch.

Whether the disc perc is supposed to be underwater or not is a serious bone of contention in this argument! :laugh:

I like to think that there is never a right answer, don't go through life wondering what is 'right' or 'wrong'. If it works, then it is right. There is always more than one way to do something! Personally, I prefer to use as much water as possible and percolators do work better when submerged with water :)

Back
Top Bottom