14 Watt LED Grow Light

jojojones

I am thinking of getting this 14 watt 225 Red/Blue LED Grow Light.
Would it be sufficient enuff for my 5 sq.ft. closet grow.

Here is the specs and a pic...

84570819.jpg

mixledpnl1401db3_th.jpg
mixledpnl1401db2_th.jpg

ok can i get some feedback... it has views but no replies...
im a n00bie and just trying to get some better understanding.

:tokin:

eh, i would get 3 of them for 5sqft at the minimum.

well i figure it would at least work as a supplement light then maybe build something around it with CFLs...

.06 watt LEDs?

Uhh... NO.

No offense, but that looks like something that you'd find on eBay.

EDIT: Save your $38 until you've got another $31 and buy yourself a horticultural 150-watt HPS such as this one from site-sponsor Suncoast Hydroponics instead. It's $69. Or if you want to grow with LED, save up a lot more money and buy one from one of the site sponsors that has been proven (or that is currently being proven) in grow journals.

.06 watt LEDs?

Uhh... NO.

No offense, but that looks like something that you'd find on eBay.

EDIT: Save your $38 until you've got another $31 and buy yourself a horticultural 150-watt HPS such as this one from site-sponsor Suncoast Hydroponics instead. It's $69. Or if you want to grow with LED, save up a lot more money and buy one from one of the site sponsors that has been proven (or that is currently being proven) in grow journals.
no offense takin. i am really grateful/thankful for your input before i went along and wasted money..
and yea those are the ebay jumpoffs i just didnt wanna seem as i was advertising for them..

1. so the 150 watt HPS would provide enough lighting for my 5 sq.ft closet. and would i have to change bulbs from veg/bud.
    -----> Stealth Box Suspect <-----

I'm still somewhat new but vie done a lot of research on LEDs and tortured soul is spot on, that light might grow a clover... Might. But as far as LEDs the. Cheapest led I have is my glow panel 45. Its only good for verging and seedlings, but it can easily veg a plant or two to maturity, but your yield will be disheartening if you only use that. If you can use an hid I would do that, proven technology, cheaper, but you need to be able to vent. If you are looking for a cheap method of growing do some research on cfl grows, you can get a 6 pack of 23 watt cfl's for 5 dollars at sams. I'm sure you could have a setup to grow a very nice plant or two for under 50 using cfl's, just my thoughts.

Idk about flowering under one of those super cheap 14 watt panels but it works for Rooting and young plants. I think the very best application would be to use it as a supplemental light. However i being of experimental nature decided after seeing this and other threads years ago, that i would try to grow under a couple for fun. Well it worked. Although i used them only for veg not bloom, i switched to outdoors to bloom them. I figured the watts were too low to bloom, but it did work for veg!
My conclusions are just as it said it was good to produce chlorophyll and the plants grew quality growth! It was about half the speed of whatoptimum growth would be under strong lights though, but my point is it worked!.
Side by side between HO T5s and these 14 watt leds showed that the T5 grew them faster, but they were not as green and did not look as healthy as the leds plants every time. BUT every time the led plants were smaller. That was my hypothesis. Ill Show some pictures if anyone ever still comes onto this thread i am interested in hearing what others have to say about this.
I bought the 14 watters over 2 years ago, and i still use them, however i use them as one light in a combination of T5s and CFLs now for young vegging plants. I still use the sun to bloom, and sometimes i use HIDs to bloom.
Im trying to upload some photos. once i figure it out ill post a few in here.

Heres a Chem Master cut i got for free from some friends. It had some Powdery Mildew, was slightly water logged and wasn't in good shape when i recieved the cutting. This pic was taken maybe 1-2 days after obtaining her.
IMG_20140710_160925_746.jpg

This pic is 13 days later under the 14 watt LED.
IMG_20140723_193323_631.jpg

This pic is of 21 days into veg.
IMG_20140731_135220_765.jpg

47 days into veg. Small but healthy. I bet if the soil volume was larger the growth would have been more exponential. I believe i used zero nutrients. just living soil during this period.
IMG_20140831_122129_184.jpg

Here are some 20 day old Tigerberry landrace seedlings i popped and vegged under the 14 watter until they were about a month old.

IMG_20141018_084456_204.jpg
IMG_20141018_084523_259.jpg
IMG_20141018_084624_957.jpg
IMG_20141018_084740_956.jpg

Here are 2 ACDC cuttings i vegged from recieving them in cubes, using the cheap led as well. They are 38 days old from planting in these pics.
IMG_20140823_093917_072.jpg
IMG_20140823_094100_855.jpg

These small plants i put outside after vegging i got usually between 7-14 grams each. I bet the yeild would have been even lower underneath the led for bloom. hahaha It was a fun experiment. Now the same led is currently used as supplemental lighting in addition to t5/hid. Hope you guys get a kick out of seeing that i actually got some healthy plants grown under the pos leds. hahaha All i have to say is stand alone it doesn't get much done really, but the fact stands that is, Yes, you can grow plants under these. Unless its for experimentation i wouldn't recommend it. However when used as supplemental lighting the blues and whites add spectrum, and quality spectrum at that. no power in these leds whatsoever though, so like i said these leds by themselves don't get much done.

its gonna cost a whopin' 38 bucks, shrugs...
:Rasta:

When something is only worth $5 or $10 bucks $38 is a lot of money.

Mars Hydro's cheapest 300 led panel using 60x 5w chips powered to 2 watts consumes 130w and cost $70 u.s with free shipping on eBay.

The panel you bought is actually a scam panel being sold to unsuspected people.

it says its 14 watts it really draws 4 or 5 watts and is worth like $5

for future reference with led's you want be between 35 watt a square foot and 70 watt a sq.ft power consumption not label.

A lumen is a measurement of light frequencies that the human eye sees and misses the spectrum's that plants use for photosynthesis.

LED's do not read correctly on standard lumen meters they require a expensive par meter to measure the relevant light frequencies that plants absorb..

A lumen is a measurement of light frequencies that the human eye sees and misses the spectrum's that plants use for photosynthesis.

Add some green light, lol, and the lumen meter will spike. Won't help the plants in any appreciable way, though...

Aside from that, I would be hesitant to use the $7 light sensor in the average cell phone as a major growroom design tool. Those things are good for causing the cell phone's display to turn off when you dial/receive a call and place the phone against the side of your face. Less good - but still adequate - for dimming the screen when your ambient light level drops 30%. For knowing the difference (and amount of difference) between 100,000 lumen @ 14" and 92,000 lumen @ 10½"... Not so much - and that is without even considering LEDBud's statements (which are important!).

I suppose a "cell phone light meter application" might be able to tell you if one light is brighter than another light of the same type/wavelength, but even that only applies until one is comparing lights that both max out the light sensor.

Back
Top Bottom