Arizer Solo - My thoughts - Hints/tips

lukass18

Type of Smoker: Daily
Tolerance: High
Type of Bud: generally high grade (my guy gets shipped from Cali)

Please keep in mind that these are only my observations and results will obviously vary from person to person.

I tried a volcano at a friends house and I just had to add a vaporizer to my collection. Wanted portability so I narrowed it down to the magic flight launch box (mflb) or the arizer solo. Even though the reviews said the solo is better in every aspect except portability, I bought into the hype and got a mflb. The idea that there was a learning curve and how I used the mflb predicated the effectiveness of the device was fun...for a while. Later on I found the solo for an unbeatable price and had to order it. Not about to beat a dead horse but, as expected the reviews were spot on, almost. The taste, vape clouds, and efficiency are in fact better just as the reviews stated. The other thing about the solo is I can have friends over and they can vape with me. Inexperienced friends have a hard time getting a decent vape with the mflb and you end up wasting a lot of herb. Lastly, portability. Yes the mflb is very small and very stealth/portable, except it has one major con in the portability category. I wanted a portable vaporizer for weekends so I could take it out and use all day, smoke in the car, stop and smoke with friends, smoke before eating, etc. Basically vaping all day out of the house. To do this with an mflb, lol you have to have a special bag to carry all the ridiculous double A batteries. You only get a few decent pulls from one battery before the quality starts to go down quickly. Smoke 5-8 times throughout the day, sometimes with a friend and your looking at 8-16 batteries you're carrying around, worrying about keeping and charged and used batteries seperated. If you call that portable then so be it but I love charging my solo at night and being able to vape all day without worrying about a battery. If you are on the fence about a solo vs mflb, do yourself a favor and get a solo.

Moving on: I have done a significant amount of R&D with the solo and I'd like to share some of my observations/preferences. I have tried it all, and what works the best for me is...I put the loaded stem/bowl in the solo before I turn it on. I start at level 3, the sweet spot for optimum flavor and vapor (keep in mind different models run cooler than others). After every 2-3 pulls I raise the temperature one level until I reach the max, level 7. With this method you can consistently get to where the bowl is kicked right around the time the solo shuts off (12 minute auto-off).

I know this is kind of obvious, but grind your bud! I put my bud in the grinder and grind upside down so the shake doesn't fall through the holes right away giving your bud as much time as it needs in between the teeth. Grind grind grind your weed!!

The draw on the solo can be a bit restrictive (which is the only negative thing I've ever heard). Because of this I found myself drawing the vape too fast/hard. The bowl was ending up kicked after only a few minutes. I found that a nice slow and consistent pull created much better vapor and the bowl lasted a LOT longer. When I say slow I mean slow! Like the mflb there is a bit of skill involved in getting the most out of the solo. You will find that if the stem is centered/flush its very hard to pull any air through the stem. If you tilt the stem only the slightest amount it allows for plenty of air flow but be very careful, if you draw too quickly the solo can/will start to cool down. With this I found that if you draw when the stem is fully sealed it kind of primes it creating a nice vapor, then you tilt the stem the tiniest amount and you can pull all that wonderful vapor. During one big pull I might go from each position 2-3 times. You'll figure it out. Just make sure that even when the airflow is less restricted, you have to still pull VERY slowly. Slow definitely wins the race with the solo, I can't say that enough.

Screens: if you bought a solo then you most likely were thinking about buying a screen after the first use. Yes a screen is a must to keep scoobs out of your mouth, but my screen saves me money and gets me higher for less. Like I said before I have a moderately high tolerance and I get completely zonked with 0.15g Yeah yeah I know, no way anyone gets ripped from such a small amount, I wouldn't believe it either. All I'm saying is, try everything I say and tell me how it works out.

Anyway, the screen I use is dome shaped. I bought garden hose screens, which happen to be stainless steel. Cut the screen to fit into the solos stem. The dome points upward which reduces the usable volume in the stem/bowl by about 2/3. So you're using 1/3 the amount of herb that you would normally put in the solo (with the dome screen in, about 0.05-0.07g fills it. One stem gets me feeling amazing, two stems and I'm sailing. I don't know if it's a greater air to surface area or what, but this mod REALLY works. Pics coming soon but if you want to pic these up they're at lowes, can be found in the plumbing section, come in a pack of 3 for like $2.79 and they are garden hose filters.

Vaping through a bong!!!!! When I read about this I thought it was the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Wow was I wrong! This method tends to wreck you so don't try it before work or something important. Since the first time I tried it I haven't used the solo at home without some type of glassware. Why does this work so well? First and foremost, if you've ever vaped before you will know that when you take a big pull you can get a very uncomfortable scratchy feeling in your throat,enough to make you cough pretty hard. The water eliminates that almost entirely. The other thing, its easier to do LOONG pulls through a bong vs the tiny stem of a solo. Lastly, seeing a 2 foot bong and ash catcher filling up with glorious vapor is simply amazing! You can take monster long vape hits getting those big clouds that the solo is known for without the scratchy throat and cough. As much as this idea sounds ridiculous, do yourself a favor and try it. I still use the adjusting the stem to control airflow trick when pulling through glass. REMEMBER, even through a bong, slow pulls win the race!

I got these gray rubber/silicone caps from lowes. They're in the loose bolts/nuts drawers they have. I initially bought them to act as protective caps when transporting. I found that if you cut the tip off they work as a rubber sleeve/seal in my 18mm ash catcher. Eventually I'll get the adapter but until then this works perfectly!

Re: Arizer Solo, my thoughts, hints/tips

I tried a new mod tonight and although I cannot comment on its effectiveness after only one try, first go is quite amazing! The holes in the dome shaped screen I use could be a bit smaller, very finely ground and keif (the finer the grind the better) will pull through it which isn't desirable in the mouth and its wasting some of the best stuff. So I went with a dual screen setup. Still have the dome shaped screen catching 85% of the herb, with a flat pipe screen in the bottom catching what pulled through. This in a way is creating a dual chamber bowl. This has to be more effective/beneficial right??

Edit:I tried it again with the dual screen setup this time I put equal amounts of bud in each chamber (still only about 1/2 a regular solo stem. 12 minutes in, auto shutoff, and I'm still blowing clouds. Turned it on got an additional 3-4 minutes of vaping and I shut it off far before any popcorn taste. Solo owners please try a dual screen setup and tell me what you think.

Re: Arizer Solo, my thoughts, hints/tips

Have had a Solo for 21-22 months, 2 words......Luv it. Had 2 others before, no comparison. Car charger works great. Had some small screens I bought for a pipe...too small, saved for several years. Perfect fit in the mouthpiece, don`t fall out and still allow a full bowl of herb. A couple of my thoughts.
Peace
YR

Great post.. I have had the Arizer Solo 6 months. Works well. A little hard to draw, but if you lift slightly on the stem it helps. I am going to try the domed screens. TY. I think I have some in my shed.. :)

I agree with most of what you've written. In all seriousness, I don't use a screen in my Solo. When I got it (about 14 months ago), I was concerned I would get some junk in my mouth, but I guess my grinder just suits it (I have a 4-pc titanium space case medium). I too am a daily user and though I also have an extreme-Q, I found I was just grabbing the solo most of the time out of convenience. For the last 8 months or so, I've only used the EQ 3 times, but to combat the rechargeable battery on the Solo, i just went and got another. Now I have one charged and one in use at all times. I don't DWH, but I like having the portability when i take a trip so I got a hard case and just put an extra stem in it with the car charger. Done.

I like joints the best however I cough too hard.
So I vaporize instead.
My first one was a MFLB and the batteries needed were out of control!
I had 12 to carry around and that was barely enough.
Then at night I had to charge all 12 for the following day!
They were not very stealth actually!

The SOLO was like WOW!
I have a quiver of vaporizers now however the SOLO is used the most!

I love the honesty of your review.
On the FC Vaporizer Review Forum web site there are a lot of people who feel the same way you do!
Now I have stems, GonG's, JHOOKS, ASH COLLECTORS, BUBBLERS and a few other items that pair well with the SOLO.
For the health benefit and consumption they pay for themselves very fast!
I went from 1oz to 1/8oz to were I am now.
My quiver consist of 3 SOLO's and I put seals under the caps to make a air tight seal plus my stems don't fall out
I have 3 power adapter as well.
Overkill!

They are very basic however simple.
Plus their cheap!
By the time I bought the batteries for the MFLB it was more money in the end!
Flavor!
Last way longer in a SOLO!

420 people,
Screens I use in my Solo are 1/2 inch steel. Fit nice and snug, don`t fall out. Just ordered some on Amazon, $4 for 100. Should last me the rest of my life. They last and last.

PS,
Bought a wooden mouthpiece (black walnut).
Stainless steel chamber would not stay on the wood piece.
Called customer service, ended up sending a replacement.
Does the same thing, only not all the time.
Changed the flavor somewhat.
Bottom line don`t waste your money.

The glass stems that came with my solo had only 3 holes finally broke one couldn't find a replacement not much to choose from around here got online from company had 4 holes much better draw give it some time after you hit . :peace:

Gooday, new Solo user, less than a week. Have 3 different strains I've tried, set it to 5 but start haulin when it gets to 3, then again when it gets to 4... Really love it, so easy, no cleaning almost. Used a GPen vape for a while which I still like, very stealthy, but it's not true vapeing, you realize that once you've tried the Solo. Using medical mj and it's not quite fine enough so I'll need to get a grinder but getting many long hauls from such a small bowl is crazy. Showed a friend on the weekend, told him I'd be getting another for my mother and he asked me to get him one too and he's a dedicated joint smoker. This thing is like a revolution in personal portable weed consumption, whatever your reason for consuming is.

After much research I finally decided on buying a Solo & what a great choice I made. This thing kicks ass with flavour & thick clouds. My 1st use was a full bowl between 3 of us & each of us was blown away at how stoned we were. How is this possible from such a small amount of bud? The latest model has improved air flow & we all found it was perfect so there's no need to buy different stems. If you are considering buying a vape, you can't go wrong with a Solo :)

I use daily and started out 20 yrs ago by mixing with tobacco, but my asthma got out of control. My health turned upwards again once I started to role pure grass joints, but I felt even better after using iced bongs. Which led me to think about owing a vaporizer. DHL turned up 24 hours ago with a solo and a few things are already clear: I use less product to get equally high and my lungs feel great. Who can recommend good bong equipment that would fit the solo?

I use daily and started out 20 yrs ago by mixing with tobacco, but my asthma got out of control. My health turned upwards again once I started to role pure grass joints, but I felt even better after using iced bongs. Which led me to think about owing a vaporizer. DHL turned up 24 hours ago with a solo and a few things are already clear: I use less product to get equally high and my lungs feel great. Who can recommend good bong equipment that would fit the solo?

The guys at FC forums can definitely help you out which rig to get for your arizer solo!

evenin and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all ....................

well, I should have my new solo in a few days ...maybe fri. or sat. ..... I've been on the fence for quite awhile about ''which one'' is the best for me, and I think I've read a fair amount of reviews and I found them for 129.99 from aroma tek. .... so I put in the order.....now the waite.......lol

any hoot, ya'll r a bunch of enablers..............:passitleft:....................:Namaste:......:goodjob: though.....

i'll report back after I try it for a few days.......:peace:

be well and to all a good nite

fringe50

yep I started with the MFLB for the hype as well. I didn't like it at all but it was still better than smoking so I kept at it until I broke down and bought the Arizer solo. The solo is hands down what I should have bought first. (not the mention the extreme Q which blows my mind)

Afternoon
I did my research and this was the best unit for me , it is my 1st vaporizer and I'm real happy with my choice. I did try a volcano a friend has , kickass, but too much $ and I wanted more portable, and the solo fit the bill..... I'm a happy fuckin guy....lol I've had mine for about month and a half and he'll yea ... 8^) I like this way of medication and I feel better , I will admit I do puff a skinny left hander now and again.....8^) but I use the SOLO mostly now ...

Any hoot hope this helped ......best of luck on your quest

Be well

Fringe50

I have the solo, which I have been using off & on for about a year, I like it but don't seem to get the same kick as a bowel. I use the glass tubes that came with the unit, seems hard to pull and little low on the hit. maybe I need advice on proper use????
I started on 5 now just go straight to 7.
I still think it's a great unit.

The ones you get when you buy it have only three ,but when you buy new tubes from them they have 4 it hits better.I do mine on 4 i think after 5 you are not vaporizing you should just smoke it.

I was dead set on getting an arizer solo. After much looking into pricing I bought one through Ebay. The seller didn't send the product so I had to get a refund. That turned out to be a good thing.

I ended up buying a Crafty from Storz and Bickel. It's lighter and there is little to no draw resistance. I had targeted the Arizer Solo because most people seemed to agree that it has the best flavor of the portables. I found the Crafty to have a notably better flavor and definitely a lOT more dense vapor.

Back
Top Bottom