Darnova

A word of caution for those who use perlite.

I've recently picked up a back of Black Gold perlite from Sun Gro Horticulture (8-quart bag), and wish I hadn't. As always, I thoroughly rinse my soil additives. For perlite I use a 5-gallon paint strainer bag. Works perfectly. While rinsing the Black Gold brand I found a lot of foreign particles, specifically small pieces of wood. As any organic farmer knows, foreign wood particles may contain dangerous (to plants) molds, bacteria, fungus, insect eggs, etc.

Additionally, I found the size of the perlite itself was inconsistent. About 20% of the bag contained medium size pieces, while 80% was very small. Personally, when I use perlite I prefer that it is consistent in size (medium) and free of any foreign debris.

Admittedly, I have had good luck with Miracle-Gro perlite (8-quart bag). This brand also comes with fine dust particles from the manufacturing process. But a quick rinse washes it all out. Never had any foreign particles to deal with.

The only problem with the Miracle-Gro brand is the $14 per 8-quart bag price tag. If anyone knows of a supplier with a better offer, I'd love to know.

Darnova,
I see many posts advising against Miracle-Gro with time release nutes. The nutes are being released at times not suitable for cannabis production; bitter taste, nute burn etc. I am surprised that your Perlite came from mfg with wood particles contaminating. You are correct that cannabis does not benefit from wood as an additive either intentional or accidental. I got a 3 foot tall bag of Perlite for $20 at Peavy. Don't breathe in the irritating dust when handling.
Happy growing.:goodjob:

Read and weep:
Miracle-Gro® Perlite 0.04-0.01-0.06

Overview & Benefits

Improves aeration and drainage, promotes root development in potting mixes
Use in containers to help prevent soil compaction and promote strong root development
Enriched with Miracle-Gro® Plant Food for beautiful plants
Excellent for starting cuttings and storing bulbs
Improves drainage and aeration in potting mixes
Miracle-Gro Perlite - Soils - Miracle-Gro
Happy Growing:thumb:

Im just never going to grow....everyone has a different story.....how does a guy get reliable information when you got ppl who chime in with silly numbers that are so minimal that they would never make a real difference

Im just never going to grow....everyone has a different story.....how does a guy get reliable information...
You research, you read, you decide what methods and equipment suit you and your space, and you learn by experience and your mistakes.
You don't expect a perfect grow the first time around. You plant your seeds, do your best according to your research, and if something doesn't work you correct it the next time around. If you're not willing to learn by doing, then maybe growing isn't for you.
But, that's just my opinion.

Miracle Grow Perlite is a good product. Vermiculite is ok but may raise pH. MG perlite is 0.04-0.01-0.06, which is very minimal amounts and should NOT affect your grow cycle. The issue with MG is their fertilizer which may leave salt residue in your system. This may also be an issue with other companies as well.

You research, you read, you decide what methods and equipment suit you and your space, and you learn by experience and your mistakes.
You don't expect a perfect grow the first time around. You plant your seeds, do your best according to your research, and if something doesn't work you correct it the next time around. If you're not willing to learn by doing, then maybe growing isn't for you.
But, that's just my opinion.

Well said

Been using Sungro coarse perlite in 4 cubic ft bags since they were $15.95. Never had anything but perlite which is sometime smaller chunks than it should be. No wood or anything.

NAPA 8822 floor dry is great and kind of act like vermiculite and perlite at the same time. I also put it in a bucket and fill with water until covered. Let it sit a while and add it to your peat or coco as a wetting agent. Big help. I use it at about a 1/2 ratio with perlite.

Give Growstones a try. I switched from pearlite and love it. Low dust, no foreign material, and it leaches silica.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom