Nature's Care Organic Potting - Miracle Gro

greylensman

I can't bring myself to call this stuff soil. This is my first mistake. First major mistake.
It was winter, and I was already at Home Depot and they had "Organic Potting Soil".

Nature's Care. By Miracle Gro. I should have been warned by the actual twigs present in the stuff, plus it was clumped together. It settled like clay, and had a strange grey threading floating on top.

But - Organic!. And available. So I started my seedlings in it. One did ok, several others were a bit small after three weeks, and one had obvious nutrient issues. Those issues didn't improve after a couple of nutrient feedings.

I went to a local nursery and got 5 bags of very frozen Fox Farms Ocean/Forest. I finally realized the only way to save that one very bad off plant was to transplant it into a different soil, I suspected that there was something wrong with the Natures Care soil. I figured I would transplant this one bad off plant and then see how the rest go - maybe I could treat this stuff like a neutral medium and gradually work it back to a soil the plants could thrive in and avoid transplanting the rest.

When I transplanted that bad-off plant I found the roots were tangled around the peat disk they started in as a seedling - and none were willing to go beyond that original peat disk - they were treating the Miracle Grow Nature's Care as poisonous and hostile. They had been feeding and rooting exclusively in that very small seedling peat pot.

I transplanted all the plants at once, and added Superthrive to buffer the shock. Most of the plants had behaved exactly like the first - they simply avoided the Miracle Gro organic Nature's Care entirely and tried to live off the peat pot they started in. So far (three days) the plants seem ok and even to be perking up.

Nature's Care Organic Potting Soil is not soil. It is not plant-friendly. < :cough: Complete Crap >

I have made this same mistake and the problem does not seem to be getting better. I am seriously contemplating pulling my plants and repotting them.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I have made this same mistake and the problem does not seem to be getting better. I am seriously contemplating pulling my plants and repotting them.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App
The re-potted plants expanded their root system, but because they were auto flower, they lost about three weeks of growing. Three of them stayed relatively dwarfed. But they all survived and did much better.

I made the same mistake and corrected it as you did. To save you from another mistake, always check prices at wholesale stores and local nurseries for organic soil. I checked Fox Farms Ocean Forest on Amazon and it was $36.00 in-store $16.00.

Hey y'all! I know this post is old, but maybe some of you have info...I have been getting helped by someone who told me to get out of the FFOF I was in, and switch to the Natures care, so I did when I uppotted from cups to 1gal. Well, they seemed fine for a while, put them under 400w after the T5s were no longer sufficient enough supposedly...they seemed fine still, then moved them into my 5x5 and put them under a 600, and now I'm starting to get issues with the leaves curling inward and starting to drop at the tips. Also, I'm not sure why I see a lot of people worried about the whole "water conservation" because my watering schedule has been the same if not a bit more not that I have the 600 up. My question, are my leaves acting funny because of the soil? Or maybe starting to get root bound?

Thank you for posting about NATURE'S CARE MIRACLE GRO....You saved me from wasting my precious and expensive seeds from a terrible fate. I will follow the advice of laying a proper foundation and will invest in the best soil I can afford.

Evening I bought some organic potting soil at our local menards and it wasn't bad. For the life of me I can't remember the brand. Wasn't miracle grow though

Back
Top Bottom