Flowering supplements

budculture

Hey All, Had this question in the hydro section, but I'll ask here too. Bought some products and thought I'd check with other users. I bought some Floralisious bloom and Beastie Bloomz. The guy at the store said they were both great for yield and flavor to add halfway through flowering. The Floralisious can also be used as a foliar spray. Anyone using it this way? Dude said both products have been around a while and are proven to work. I figured that the label on the Beastie Bloomz, which is Godzilla carrying a monster pepper, was stoner enough to have some potential! lol :)
Thoughts or cautions?

Peace:ganjamon:

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
Ghandi

I never use additives. I think it is a marketing ploy. I honestly have never seen any growers here or in my private time who have ever got any benefit from spending their money on expensive additives. The only thing I use to foliar feed is fish emulsion in veg, and sea tea during flowering. Perhaps other members here have a different opinion, so I hope they can help you.

I agree that sound growing techniques are the answer and you can't use a bottle to make up for any lack of technique. But, I've got amazing results and I use specialized nutes. Ya, it can cost a little, maybe $60 for a lb of bud? (guessing). But I get positive comments on the size and amount of my buds considering the amount of lighting used. gram/watt or gram/watt/month numbers are high as well. The results looks and tastes nice too.

Supplements DO WORK!!
I have done side by sides with both Big bud and Floralicious Bloom..in soil but still....so I know Floro Bloom works great, Big bud does too, no question they do work if you use them correctly!
Start out like you said halfway thru flowering and start with very small amounts then slowly work up to almost the recommended doseage on the bottles.
If you have already bought them it would be ludicrous to let them sit and waste your money.
Let's put it this way.....in small doses you damn sure know supplements won't hurt, so why not try eh??
Some growers just get set in their ways so much they refuse to acknowledge any other potentially useful products....I NEVER close my mind to anything unless it has been proven to be bogus!
peace and good luck brother!
peace|
Believe what you want. I'll tell a grower to spend money on great mediums, nutrients, fans and environmental controllers all day before I'd tell them to waste their money on molasses in a bottle. Yes some supplements can be beneficial at the correct time but they ARE NOT the secret to big grows. We can argue this till the cows come home but you won't get me to change my mind. Before anyone spends money on secret formulas they need to spend money dialing in their grows and rooms first. Get them 100% perfect then buy the wonder nutes if you still feel the need for them. I know from experience on a lot of this. I've tried supplements galore. Even the old nasty superbud with paclobutrazol in it that stunted a plants growth instantly rock hard trichomeless buds. Yes some supplements increased my yield because I was deficient in a element or two and the supplement supplied those elements but in reality I could have gotten the same results by using a better nutrient or by watching my PH closer or by flushing etc. The supplement just supplied what I should have already been giving the plants. I'll re write this so everyone understands...supplements ARE NOT the answer to big yields.
And I'm not set in my ways with a closed mind like you insinuate. I'm speaking the 100% truth with facts. Read all the books written by the experts. They all say the same thing as what I'm saying. So if I'm set in my ways with a closed mind so are all the others, including botanists and cannabis experts like Rosenthal and Cervantes who believe and say the same thing huh?

Well, I guess I stepped in it with this one!:smokin: Since I'm a newbie with the indoor hydro thing, I'm bound to make mistakes, though I have been trying to get as much information possible in the time I have. I wasn't trying to make up for poor environment or to look for some sort of wonder crop booster. Since I've only grown outdoors before which required a minimal amount of work, there is a LOT of time spent dialing the climate, nutes , ph, temp, etc. etc. with the indoor hydro. I check my crop a least daily and usually more than that. My intention with the supplements was to try to get some of the micronutrients found in soil, which aren't in my nutes, into my plants. I wasn't trying to cheat my way to a good crop or anything and I don't think of myself as an impulse buyer, so I did do some research, including articles on this site. I'll go ahead and use them carefully and sparingly at first and hope that what I put in there doesn't ruin my crop. That was my reason for asking in the first place; to see who had used these particular products, so as to learn from their experience. I guess I may have wasted my money, but I'm learning that if I'm doing this to save money, it may be cheaper to buy bud anyway! Of course I'm not doing this to save money, I just want to supply my own meds!
Peace:ganjamon: thanks for all your help everyone, thanks Shovel, and especially to you Pype, thanks brother for reading my question and the defense. Your input is much appreciated. I'll keep posting w/ my progress and findings.

Here's my progress so far...

:bongrip:

This bud was grown by NOT using supplements. I used a simple organic medium, fish emulsion, and sea tea. I then used Sensi bloom 2 part.
I am getting impatient with the argument that expensive supplements are the answer to big yields. I will let this image do the talking for me! Thank you.
DSC00545.jpg

Oh well, I'm not sure I should've used the word "supplements" since that seems to mean different things to different people. People seem to have very strong feelings about this subject.
The Beastie Bloomz is a Foxfarm product that is basically a flowering nutrient w/0-50-30 like Koolbloomz (GH) and others. I cut back on the ppm of my B.C. bloom nutes a bit and added about 150 ppm of Beastie Bloomz, which is similar to the application for the other boosters. I probably didn't even need to buy it since I have a sample of Ka-Bloom which has the same #'s, but I didn't have much.
The Floralisious is a GH product and is supposed to be for taste, not yield . It made sense to me since I'm growing in chemical nutes and this is supposed to make it all taste better by adding some humic acids etc. It's also a foliar feed, but although I'd like to try some sea tea, my small cab with fans ,lights, etc. I'm not really able to soak things down well without removing too much equipment. I'll have to address this before my next grow. I don't know if these products will make a difference or not but I don't mind trying since it's all an experiment at this point.
Thanks for everyones advice and input. It is much appreciated. :peace:

" An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. "
Ghandi :ganjamon:

After my last experience, I would not reccomend foliar feeding the buds at all, unless it's straight water.

There must be additives that work for taste or aroma, I seem to be able to change the flavor and smell by useing suppliments (all natural) during flowering. I think generally, bloom boosters are just flower nutes with specific ingredients. If you have readily accesable nutrients in the soil or hydro, "Boosters" should not be required.

New growers love the dream of being able to dump in a certain supplement and get back huge dank buds in return. There was a product pretty close to that out there once. It was made by dutch masters and called superbud. There was a huge stink raised about it though because the product contained paclobutrazol and it was believed at the time that paclobutrazol was cancerous or at the least harmful for plants that were inhaled like cannabis. I know of this because the guys who worked the hardest to get this product off the shelves were member of my old site although I was just a moderator when this stink started. This product was powerful stuff. It stopped all upwards growth instantly and you only used it for 2 weeks at the 3 week of flower. So you had to veg for height if you were to use it. All leaves and growth became a twisted mass. Bud growth was phenominal. Super big rock hard buds and a week less flowering time. There were problems from this though. Trichrome production was cut in half. That means less of the good stuff. But the commercial growers loved it as they had more weight which is what they sell. The buds were so dense that good ventilation was critical. Quite a few succombed to bud rot. Then there was the problem of getting rid of the run off and reservoirs full of this superbudded solution. You couldn't use it in your garden and dumping it down the drain was not a option for anyone who is health or enviromentally conscious. It would make anything growing flower and stunt it's growth. And depending on how concentrated it was it could affect a couple of generations. Plus there was the thought that the stuff might be cancerous. Dutch Masters pulled the product due to the stink but brought it back out again but under a new name and with a few changes. I can't remember the name of the new stuff and I only tried the original once and didn't like the results. I grow only for me and I didn't like the effects other than the larger bud size. if I knew it was 100% safe and the trichome loss wasn't there I would probably try it again.
But even as good as the stuff was it still didn't make up for room and enviromental deficiencies. Yes yield was improved. It could have been improved by twice as much if the room and grow were dialed in though. It's that way with all supplements. Yes they might help smell, taste, and even yield/weight some but it all could have been even better if everything else was as it was suppose to be and dialed in. Concentrate on making your grows and rooms as great as possible and then worry about adding supplements.

OH shit...the news just says that warren G the rapper was arrested with enough weed to be arrested for sales! Him and his driver got pinched!

Thanks, I was sent 3/4's of a bottle from a friend in Perth, Australia. It cost over $200.00 for a small bottle because of what it did. Hydro stores that could get it limited customers to 1 bottle per week because the commercial growers were gobbling it up by the case. They had to store the bottles in locked cases or behind the counters because people were stealing it. I once saw a bottle sell for over $250.00 on ebay. It was crazy!
Anyway...I still have over a 1/3d of that bottle. I used it once on 10 plants and never used it again. I keep forgetting to take it in on our free hazardous waste days where we can turn in hazardous waste without cost.

Well I can report the immediate effects of my flowering "additives". Since I added two new things to my nute mix, Floralisious (GH ) and Beastie Bloomz (Foxfarm), I have had some changes. Most of my "lead" ( the ones on the end of the branches ) buds have done some stretching and grown out a bit. The internode has gotten longer on the new growth on these buds, which I don't like ( can't get the lights as close uniformly ) and as an experiment, I trimmed the new growth of a couple of buds to see what they would do. The one I trimmed first has stopped stretching and the buds on the stem have started to enlarge and fill in the space, so it will be interesting to see whether or not this improves the amount or size of buds.
I don't know what exactly is resposible for the stretching, but I suspect it may be the 0-50-30 in the Beastie Bloomz, although I would think that some extra N would be needed to cause this. Is that right?
The light cycle is the same, environment is good I think, ( 72-75 day 65-68 night, water temp 69-71, humid. 40-45%, ph 5.8-6.2 ) so the evidence points to the only changes I made, which would be... THE ADDITIVES! I'm going to do a nute change today and leave out the Bloomz to see if the stretching stops, but if the ones that I trimmed get a little shorter and fatter, then I guess this will all be ok. I'm having fun with this first indoor hydro grow figuring all this out. It's amazing how hardy MJ is, you can just screw it up and it comes back for more! I'm already looking forward to my next grow and my clones are vegging right now and man, they are so short and bushy, I hope this turns out to be a decent strain ( from bagseed...) since the clones are little monsters! I'll post some pics to show what I'm talking about.
Thanks again everyone and thanks RF for great info and totally informative post. The help on this site has been invaluable!

Peace:ganjamon:

Oh well, I'm not sure I should've used the word "supplements" since that seems to mean different things to different people.

yup, I was thinking of nutrients as suppliments. I grow organically mixing my own soil and making my own compost (110 gallon composter). My favorite nutes are the Neptune fish and fIsh/kelp emulsions. In the bloom stage I use Biobizz's Top Max (15% kelp, 30% humic acid), Technaflora's Awesome Blossoms (4-11-11) and a TCA acid suppliment for PH buffer, CO2 fixation and general nutrient metabolism. I also use molasses from weeks 2-6 in bloom. The watering schedule is three part. Water only, water and molasses, and water with nutrients.

I've tried the complete package of Technaflora's BC products in the past with no regrets. But I'm very pleased with the growth I'm seeing with my present menu. I use less than $60 in bottled nutes per lb of dry herb. Not too bad to my wallet.

That is one enourmous bud, Moose! Bravo!

Shovelhandle

I'll agree with all of the above advice about miracles in a bottle, but I still had to try some snake oil myself. I have several small plants in pots, a couple in the ground, various shades of sunlight available to them. There are four that are apr. three and a half weeks old, sitting side by side, same size containers, same soil mix, etc. But two of them are half the size of the other two. Could be a fungus, could be I damaged those particular two during transplanting. But nothing ventured, nothing gained. So I bought a small bottle of Superthrive, mixed it and watered the two that are stunted and weak looking. I have taken pictures of them all to try and compare later. ( I'm an old fart and short term memory isn't all that it's cracked up to be.)

From what I've gleaned off the 'net, it's a shot, albeit a small one, that this will do the roots a little good and maybe help a little, even though I know it really won't do much else, if anything at all. It's mostly B1 and a type of Auxin, kin to agent orange, which if used regularly would stop vegetative growth and budding. That's why I'm only trying it on these two small plants as a one shot deal as simply an additive. Is there anyone else that has any experience with this product?
:peace:

Back
Top Bottom