Vaporgenie or Vapman

Harry Lime

Is there is difference in performance? Vaporgenie is much cheaper, and I like that they recommend a regular Bic lighter. Also, is there any benefit to the longer stem on the Exotic? It seems like it would help with cooling. I can't seem to find any reviews of the Vapman.

yeah the exotic being a longer pipe will help in cooling the smoke slightly. theres just something about the vapman that seems weird, maybe its the fact that your smoking out of a ufo, and all the work it looks like. sorry this is all i can offer as i havent used either, though have heard good things about the vaporgenie.

:joint:

Yeah, the Vapman does look kinda weird. I wouldn't say it's unattractive though. It also looks like they put a lot of thought into it's efficiency.

Either will work fine. There's a lot more to the Vapman construction than the Genie, which is pretty much a pipe with separate chamber for the herb and a ceramic filter to distribute the heat. If I bought the Genie I'd go for the longer exotic-for the length, not the mismatched wood. I'd also use a torch lighter to avoid leaving soot and to get a hotter and steadier flame. If you don't like a torch the Genie is your only choice. The Vapman requires a torch.

I haven't seen a Vapman review here, so I will give a mini-one, to respond at least partly to the thread...

I've never done the vapor thing before but having heard it was very efficient (you know, the high price of gas, grass and ass... : O )

ennywho... I googled around and after reading reviews, posts, etc, and considering the range of costs, decided on the Vapman, ordering online from vaporstore.com.

Came 2 days later in a small bubble wrap bag... no instructions, but there was the vapman and the lighter, full of butane (yes full... how do they ship that??). Instructions and videos online, so no problem there.

Okay, so my first impressions...

"this sucks... I am no more buzzed than if I burned the weed, and probably less so." wtf... I spent $139 and ... wtf??? So being a recovering engineer, I started looking carefully at how it works: Conduction to heat the brass-coated container to critical temp (a quickly-learned skill, btw), then draw air through the heated chamber via three high-precision, fine metal (brass again?) tubes that draw cooler air from upstream of the hot chamber, past the herb, and then past a metal strainer of sorts and up into your lungs.... simple eh? So what the hell was wrong??? I read lotsa good to great reviews, so it had to be me, right?

The draw was way too light, not enough smoke was getting through for my tastes, and the happy chemicals were vaporizing without me getting the high I expected - especially since I had heard repeatedly that vapor was a very efficient way to consume.

Let me give you the punchline, then rewind... I am now one of the converted, or at least I will get lots of use out of my Vapman - I like it and if you ask me a couple of weeks (days? hours?) from now, I might say I love it.

So here was the deal maker for me - the KEY to making the Vapman something that grows on me day by day :trance:

OK - there are these 3 little holes on the wooden part the mouthpiece goes into... which ends in the metal strainer, and gets seated on the brass-coated "hotpot" that you blast with the jet lighter. Those 3 holes were the savior of the Vapman for me. They are there to cool the airstream coming from the hotpot... and they do that by mixing in cooler - and vapor-free - air from the room... TOO MUCH vapor-free air... at least, for me. I was getting lots of that cooler air, but not enough vapor.

So, I cut off a tiny bit of the vaporstore.com window decal that came in the Vapman package and used that to block 2 of the 3 holes. The other one I left open so I could use one finger to throttle and cool the air.

The result - well, as I said above, the Vapman is growing on me... the bowl is small... but for the amount of herb I feel like I get quite a few solid hits ...about 4-6 or so, depending on how much weed I put in, how aggressively I heat the Vapman, how hard I draw air through... etc:

TIPS:

Here are my tips for using the Vapman:
- use well crumbled/ground weed, but not powder... powder will clog the tubes. experiment...
- don't fill the hotpot too much... it blocks the airstream and will cause the herb to overheat/scorch. experiment...
- play around with how long you heat the chamber - I find the directions available at the vaporstore website are not bad when using their (cheap) lighter... 5 seconds with the tip of the flame touching the nose of the hotpot... 2 seconds off... 5 seconds on... draw. First hit is usually on the light side.

Then 5-6 seconds of flame... draw... ahhhhhh

if you don't wait too long between flame-on's, only heat the bowl once for 5 seconds between draws - the hotpot stays hot for a bit...

Like I said earlier, work at it and you will get the rhythm - how long to heat, where to hold the flame (tip touching the tip of the chamber), how many hits before you should check the contents (4? 5? 6?) - taste will give you a strong hint if you over-flamify your precious payload.

I can't compare the Vapman to anything else, since this is the first and so far only vaporizing device I have tried... but I like it and, yes, would recommend it.

Cost and Construction

About the cost... you get what you pay for: the Vapman is finely crafted and well constructed. The solidity of the attachment of the fine tubes to the hotpot and to the "intake" insulation is impressive - those tubes do double duty - they carry air into the hot chamber so you can suck the vapor down - and they are the only means of support for the hotpot - i.e., they are structural as well as "aerodynamic." Lots of nice detail... impressive.

The downsides...

You need a jet lighter... a wee bit conspicuous. and that sound... click... whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh.... I swear if anyone hears it they will think I'm smoking crack! (you know what I mean if you ever used one of those lighters....)

It is pretty much of a one or maybe... just maybe... a two person unit. at about 4-6 decent hits per load, you are gonna be busy loading, smoking, cleaning (not bad, though), loading, smoking, cleaning,.... if more than 2 people use it.

Overall:

Performance: B+
Usability in publicly visible spaces: F
Usability in publicly audible spaces: C (A if you wait for a jet to fly low overhead)
Construction: A
Value: B+

I recommend the Vapman if you want something for personal use, and also that travels well (but not for use in/near public spaces), and are not looking for a more robust - and probably (much) more expensive - vapor device. Very nice construction and cool look. A good entry point into the world of vapor! As for me, I may never go further than this... and will be glad I have it!

I recieved the vapor genie on wed and am finally starting to get the hang of lighting it

It takes a lot of trial and error but when you get the hang of it this little guy gives some wicked vap tokes.

I also have seen the vapman it looks to be pretty functional for on the go vaping as well but its just a bit pricey for me right now .

Peace:smokin:

Hey guys, thanks for the info on the Vapman. I'm glad to get some feedback from people who have actually used it. I think I'm going to have to make it a birthday present to myself. I've been using the Vaporgenie, and I like it, but it has some downsides. I don't like inhaling all that butane for one thing. I'm not one of those people who gets obsessive about things like that, but you have to take seriously long hits with the Vaporgenie and that's inhaling a lot of gas. Second, it's really hard to smoke from the Vaporgenie without burning your weed. It's a very fine line between no vapor at all, just right, and horrible burnt popcorn taste. I'm hoping the Vapman will help me get more consistent results. I'm also hoping it will help me learn to use the Vaporgenie better so that I will know what properly vaped weed should taste like. I'm not knocking the Vaporgenie though. I think they both have their respective uses. And I really like the way that the Vaporgenie feels in your hand. It's the most comfortable pipe ever. More reviews please from anyone who has used both!

I don't like inhaling all that butane for one thing. I'm not one of those people who gets obsessive about things like that, but you have to take seriously long hits with the Vaporgenie and that's inhaling a lot of gas.
Inhaling butane from a lit lighter is a myth that apparently will never stop getting passed around. Butane can't escape flame unburned any more than a piece of cotton can survive a furnace. Butane is hydrogen and carbon. The hydrogen burns immediately in the blue flame right at the point of butane exit. It's the hottest part of the flame. So above the base of the flame, butane can't exist. If you're tasting or ingesting anything, it's partially burned carbon, commonly known as soot. A torch lighter injects oxygen, burns hotter, and takes care of all the carbon as well.

So the torch fueled Vapman not only doesn't leave carbon as a byproduct, but you're not even drawing while using the torch, since it's heat, then hit. The Vapman's specialty is outdoor use, especially in windy weather. Most find the Genie a little easier to use, with bigger hits. It does work better with the regular, soot producing lighter though.

Back
Top Bottom