LED vs. HPS

funkmaster

i was just wondering if anyone knows if the LED grow panels around are as good as a HPS.... i mean i know they use less energy and give off less heat, but i was just wondering if they will give the plants more or less usable light as a HPS or a M/H. i mean will they give you the same yield?

NO, the LEDs do not compare to an MH or HPS...By my estimate, LEDS will have about a 1/3 of the yield an HPS will have.. LEDS have their place but you have to be willing to deal with slow growing plants.. I use mine for veg only, and add other lighting to try to speed them up a bit...:peace:

Dear all-

LED lights are extremely effective as a sole lighting source, provided you have one with effective intensity and effecient spectrum. I have found that any 90W UFO (or higher W) with 660nm Red and 460nm Blue will do just as much as the average 400W HPS or MH in terms of growth rate, color, and plant density. Newer 120W units with 640nm + 660nm red, 460 Blue, and white in the mix are far more effective and grow big bushy plants very quickly.

While I agree LED grown plants take slightly longer to bud fully, I feel there is ABSOLUTELY NO compromise in the end result. In fact, especially in enclosed areas, you are almost guaranteed a healthier, cooler, disease-resistant plant vs. a HID light, which will leave you with a much happier end product. Paired with much less noise, risk, work, upkeep, and a $10 electric bill? Which makes more sense to you?

God bless and happy growin'!

well i was just trying to get a six plot hydro kit working, and didn't know what would be best i have never grown hydro, i have grown organic with HPS but i was trying to get past the balist and heat and electricity, i realy don't have the money for a climate control or all the other shit that goes along with HPS.... also is it possible to get a ph meter and a conductivity meter in one unit......

Be IRIE,
What LED source did you use that you were so unhappy with the results? Not some cheap China import or worse yet a didgy Do It Yourself system? The new generation LED are supose to have improved dramatically.

I never said I was unhappy with it, just said it does not compare to an HPS....It is better then any UFO you can get.. It's my third journal down... Check it out.

i
was just wondering if anyone knows if the LED grow panels around are as good as a HPS....
No they are not.

i mean will they give you the same yield?
No they won't.

I never said I was unhappy with it, just said it does not compare to an HPS....It is better then any UFO you can get.. It's my third journal down... Check it out.

I was not having a go at you. No disrespect intended. After all, I am here to learn so I will read your journal. Its funny, there always appears to be emotionally driven posts when it comes to LED's...:roorrip:

Hahaha...no doubt.
Definately seems to be alot of emotions here. I will be taking pictures later today of current LED projects then posting them- to start with, I will show you some nice, hefty dense buds that are almost done flowering, then I will follow with some pics of some LED started seedlings with the fattest primaries you've ever seen, and then the full LED jungle with 15 different strains equally pumped about their situation.

Check back soon!
Thanks,
Jonny

Here are the LED's that I just got and will be useing for my first grow...

GlowPanel45_Product_Shot_03_LG.jpg

I will also be using 4 CFL's and will try growing lowryders and a few other strains.

I will start a journal as soon as I'm done making my box and get everything I need

that panel 45 was the exact one i was looking at, but my dude says says a hps is a million times better. idk it's just hard to find out the lumens of it. the 600watt hps i was looking at gives 92,000 initial lumes. but it's also alot more pricey and i would need a ballest and cooling system. and alot of over shit. i don't grow to sell i grow to smoke, but idk does anyone know if the LEDs can be used for the whole life, or would i need other lights for the whole spectrum, i guess i mean do LEDs have a wide enough spectrum.

LEDs are just now getting there. You need at least 100W and with the latest high efficient LEDs. Those 45W panels just don't work for much (rooting clones maybe)

I completely understand some of the controversy, most of the early products were crap. Also, I'm sorry, but if it takes the UFO longer to bud - that's a problem. Sure you can make up for too little light by budding a couple of weeks longer - but that's not what we want.

The products that work are the superled and the prycon100. They will keep up with a 400W hid. They do cost $700, but the power savings will make up for it.

LED is definitely the future.

Hahaha...no doubt.
Definately seems to be alot of emotions here... I will be taking pictures later today of current LED projects then posting them- to start with, I will show you some nice, hefty dense buds that are almost done flowering, then I will follow with some pics of some LED started seedlings with the fattest primaries you've ever seen, and then the full LED jungle with 15 different strains equally pumped about their situation.

Check back soon!
Thanks,
Jonny
Johnny,
It wont let me PM you cause I only have 3 posts.

so is there a good comparisson of the higher wattage LEDs out there in one place and has any one grow shop had the balls to publish a true comparison on LEDs ,HPS and MH by using a quantum meter that read in micro einsteins or PAR light so that we are comparing oranges to oranges for all three types of light
lumens are fine for human eyes but plants see PAR [photsyntesis active radition [sp]] and micro einsteins give numbers phyisists can crunch....

if i wasn't on ssi and independently poor i'd get the panels and meters and do the testing

perhaps some sponsor would have the guts to do it i'm sure that
many of us would shop there first if we were seriousabout the LEDsand the prices were competative just because that data is not real and not just opinion

by the way a qwuantum meter that reads out in par and foot candles is out there [spectrum technologies] [300$?] par onnly 200-250

The products that work are the superled and the prycon100. They will keep up with a 400W hid. They do cost $700, but the power savings will make up for it.

LED is definitely the future.

I can see this is going to go nowhere.... Hopefully you guys will start journals and prove me wrong, I would love to see it.. If you guys keep buying the cheap ass LEDS they will not need to make them better.. If you do get them, add CFL's to the mix...LEDS will get there one of these days soon... :peace:

Here is my Procyon 100 that does NOT keep up with a 400 MH or HPS, and they are 600.00 not 700.00...
picresizedLED_light.jpg

You are absolutely correct, Irie-mon.

OK, a little backstory...first I'm going to show a budding plant about 3 weeks away from finish. Next I'll put up some pics of the general setup I've been using, and then I'll showcase some nice specific case-studies.

Keep in mind- 100% OF EVERYTHING IN THESE PICTURES is legal for medical use, ALL ORGANIC, and absolutely bare-bones. This trial was designed to simulate an outdoor environment and see what these LEDs are capable of without chemical fertilizers, CO2, additional air circulation, etc etc. In the spirit of this, the majority of the strains I started are outdoor/tropical outdoor.

LIGHT SPECS: First gen started under CFL (very unhappily, I might add), then rescued with just the 90W 660nmred 460nmblue UFO, Quasar Manufacture. This was effective, but with the distance away from the plants I've been keeping the light, and the amount of plants growing under it, I wanted a little more agressive growth before I switched to 12/12, so I added a custom Quadrate Rectangular 120W Light...has 660nm red, 630nm red, 460nm blue, and a splash of white in the mix. This addition made a HUGE difference, and within days I started seeing the telltale yellow-ing tips showing that the girls were digging it, and getting HUNNNNGRY.

Here goes- This first one was from a random beaster seed. If you've ever had the strain Cheese, this one smells similar (with a gold tinge), and has very very dense buds as well. I've tried to give different angles so you can get a better idea. Taken with macro setting so you should be able to zoom in pretty good on most of these.

Back
Top Bottom