Review Request: pH & PPM Meters

Everyone knows these things are pretty useful for soil grows and downright indispensable for hydro. And most everyone knows that there are good ones and cheap ones - and that you can't tell the difference by looking at the price.

I have seen various meters advertised from $39 to well over $1500. Having used a few years ago (sorry, can't remember the brands/models) I recall paying too much and having problems with several not holding their calibrations or just plain breaking down.

Could I get a few - or a lot of - people to review some for me? I bet there'd be about 10 or 15 thousand other people who'd also benefit greatly from your knowledge & experiences.

Good reviews would contain information such as price, power (ac or dc and if the latter, what type of batteries & how long do they last), ease of use, ease of calibration, accuracy, how long they last before needing recalibrated, how long the probes last, are the probes replaceable (if so, what do they cost), what kind of "business end" on the probe, and anything else you can think of.

I am most interested right now in getting a set (or a combo meter) that is cheap and that will hold up for a year of daily use.

But I would also be interested in reading about higher quality meters and even the bench-style and "constant-use" types that have probes designed to be in the solution 24/7. I just won't be able to actually use the info for a year or so lol.

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Milwaukee pH 600

PEN style pH meter.

paid $21 USD for it and barely ever needs calibration. Best 21 I spent on my grow to date. Is actually slimmer than Hanna Champ.

Hanna Champ

Pen style pH meter.

Spent 60 bucks or so. Needed calibration at every use and eventually (after like 3 weeks of use) would no longer calibrate since the screw bottomed out. Now my reference solution reads 8.5 or so. Biggest waste of money. Do not buy.

<bump!>

I have the Hanna GroChek combo meter - it has NPS pipe threads, designed to mount through a hole in the tank, and give constant 24/7 measurements.

The probe's accuracy depends highly on it's location in the tank, and if you have any pumps or other elec. equip in the tank.

At first I sat the probes on the bottom of the tank - decent readings, but moving the around affected the accuracy.

I then drilled two holes and mounted them - terrible idea. The PH reads 3 points low with the pump unplugged, and 7 points low with the pump plugged in... so it's telling me my PH is 0.

I do not recommend this meter, though it is reasonably accurate with PPM.

I just ordered a Milwaukee PH600 - thanks McBudz +rep

high i know i can help you with this i just got back from the hydro conference and the sales man was great from his cheap ones to the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and he showed us how each one worked they are called hanna instruments HANNA instruments :: World Leader in Analytical Instrumentation usa
boots

I would feel bad even giving my hanna champ to somebody for free. POS.

I have the grocheck but not in use yet. I'm already shopping for a different 24/7 monitor. Looking at nutrdip tri-meter.

Hanna will never see another dime of mine.

So is the general consensus that Milwaukee meters are more accurate and/or longer-lasting than Hanna? Is that for pH and PPM (or EC?) both or just pH?

I believe that I can get a cheap Hanna pH meter from the Snap-On guy. Hate to do so if it'll just be a waste of money though.

I can vouch for the Milwaukee pH 600.

I calibrated it once, it drifted a bit, then I re-calibrated it and it's been rock steady since. I just keep it stored in a little calibration solution.

I can't vouch for it's durability because I've only had it a few months but for ~$20, it's a good buy.

:peace:

Harry

Has anyone used the Mosser Lee Soil Master? It measures moisture, light and pH. They have them at Lowes and cost about $10. I live in a small town and haven't been able to find anything else that would measure pH unless I want to use strips, which I would rather not. Will this work? Any info would be great. :thanks::thanks::thanks::peace:

Most of those things that look like an analog meter on a metal spike aren't worth purchasing (IMHO).

If $10 is your budget, I would just purchase the "strips" type test kit. If you can spend $20 or more I would order a digital pH meter (that Milwaukee pH600 is sounding like a really good deal).

Most of those things that look like an analog meter on a metal spike aren't worth purchasing (IMHO).

If $10 is your budget, I would just purchase the "strips" type test kit. If you can spend $20 or more I would order a digital pH meter (that Milwaukee pH600 is sounding like a really good deal).

Seconded.

I can vouch for the Milwaukee pH 600.

I calibrated it once, it drifted a bit, then I re-calibrated it and it's been rock steady since. I just keep it stored in a little calibration solution.

I can't vouch for it's durability because I've only had it a few months but for ~$20, it's a good buy.

Harry

BtW, is $20 the regular price for them or did you get lucky? That seems like less than half-price for most places (for their cheapest digitals).

Also, I don't suppose they also make a $20 PPM (or EC) meter?

And they have cheap magnetic stirrers <W00T!>. I always thought those things were cool.

Sorry. Don't know what got into me.

Huh. Also have the pH55 (replaceable electrode, accuracy .1ph, two-point (semi-)automatic calibration, automatic temperature compensation so I wouldn't have to use the old "thermometer and chart" routine lol) for $50 and the pH56 (same as above except resolution to .01pH and accuracy to .05pH) for $64.

Seem really cheap. Hmm.

Uhh. I just figured out that our sponsors probably sell these things too so I guess these last few posts might be disappearing soon. I wasn't thinking.

BtW, is $20 the regular price for them or did you get lucky?

I'm not sure of the cost of their EC meters. I haven't really had the need for one of those yet.

A web search on Milwaukee pH 600 will yield several locations to purchase the PH meter for around $20. I think I picked up the pen and a bottle of 7.0 calibration solution for around $30.

Harry

I've only ever bought meters at hydroponics stores. I never even thought to look at places that sell lab equipment. Which (for me) is pretty lame.

Thanks for the head-check guys!

BtW, is $20 the regular price for them or did you get lucky? That seems like less than half-price for most places (for their cheapest digitals).

CD 97 is about $16.00. Cant vouch for it though. I have the TD75/T6 cant remember which. Seems pretty good so far.

Thanks for the advice. I would have purchased that cheap one at Lowes and been upset when it didn't do what I needed it to. This site is great. Always nice to have people helping people. :thanks::smokin: Do you recommend any specific temp and humidity meter?

Back
Top Bottom