LST help - First time grower

KitasCountryRoots

420 Member
Hey y'all! I have to start off by saying, this site is awesome!

I have 3 white widow girls(photo) that are 3 weeks old, and I'm not sure when to start LST. All input welcomed!!

Mutant
420-magazine-mobile936032519.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1275342250.jpg

Shortie
420-magazine-mobile157594458.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2109669106.jpg

Bigmama
420-magazine-mobile1152870083.jpg
420-magazine-mobile855862880.jpg

Hey y'all! I have to start off by saying, this site is awesome!

I have 3 white widow girls(photo) that are 3 weeks old, and I'm not sure when to start LST. All input welcomed!!

Mutant
420-magazine-mobile936032519.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1275342250.jpg

Shortie
420-magazine-mobile157594458.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2109669106.jpg

Bigmama
420-magazine-mobile1152870083.jpg
420-magazine-mobile855862880.jpg

I'm no expert on LST but I believe it can be started as early as you like depending what LST you are going for. I know growers who tie the plants main stem down almost flat from very early to promote the side branches to all grow upwards evenly but I know growers who wait a while until the plant has a good 5 or 6 internodes on the main stem, then they top or FIM them and begin to LST them outwards to promote many top colas and an even canopy. As I say I'm no expert but I believe the LST should be done on newer growth as it's more bendy/flexible and less likely to snap, the woody parts of the stem and branches don't like being bent much and can easily break. There's many much more experienced indoor growers than me on here so hopefully someone with more LST experience will chip in with some info soon. Hope this helps for now.

I have a 5ft tent and led lights, so i need them to stay under 3ft, at the least. Do you think I should bend first and top later?
Top first.

The results of the topping will give you much more to tie down.

I have a 5ft tent and led lights, so i need them to stay under 3ft, at the least. Do you think I should bend first and top later?
I always suggest this to everyone who has height restrictions.

Consider a scrog!

No problem i suggest setting your net according to your height requirements.

And then growing them into the net.

This way you you have a minimum or maximum of x amount of space depending on how they grow and how well you can keep them even under the net.

Either way if you have a set idea or plan in your head run it and only tweak it if makes sense.

No problem i suggest setting your net according to your height requirements.

And then growing them into the net.

This way you you have a minimum or maximum of x amount of space depending on how they grow and how well you can keep them even under the net.

Either way if you have a set idea or plan in your head run it and only tweak it if makes sense.
Great tips, thank you so much!

I started my LST on day 5, opening up the inside of the plant to allow the light in.
420-magazine-mobile2142953836.jpg

Here they are at day 25 of veg. Almost covering the top of my 4 gallon pots......training every day or 2.
420-magazine-mobile1250785896.jpg

Even doing it to my Autos.
420-magazine-mobile1465024705.jpg

Let's face it, once they started to grow it is not a lot you can do, you might as well be training them into making them the biggest bug making machines that you can LOL!

I gave mine a FIM haircut a while ago and as soon as the branches were long enough to put a piece of wire around them they got ties down. Now they have spread out almost to the edge of the buckets with branches on the branches. I'll be able to keep some on them for growing buds and snip some off for clones.

DSCI0904a.jpg

I started my LST on day 5, opening up the inside of the plant to allow the light in.
420-magazine-mobile2142953836.jpg

Here they are at day 25 of veg. Almost covering the top of my 4 gallon pots......training every day or 2.
420-magazine-mobile1250785896.jpg

Even doing it to my Autos.
420-magazine-mobile1465024705.jpg

Thanks for posting! So just so I am understanding correctly... your LST goes on and then off in some kind of cycle? Is this just so it is grown in the direction you want for the SCROG? I just FIM'd my first grow (white widow and a BubbleG) my goal is for multiple colas... was going to start LST but the ww nodes are so close I'm having trouble figuring out where/how to start LST...lol! And now I think I am reading that LST isn't something you set and forget for a long period of time....

LST is just light stem training so that you can train your plant in any direction. The reason that I did it was because I was trying to spread my plant out over large surface area but keep it relatively low.......stealth grow. Original because I was low on space, but then that problem disappeared LOL. The only leaves that I really didn't pin down with you original large fan leaves.. You basically do set it and forget it, but you'll find that you will want to constantly move your hooks that are holding your plant down to encourage the spread. I find that this is a great early stage, it gives you a chance to really see how a plant works, how you can bend it (carefully), get in touch with your plant. Just be careful. They are really pliable, even if kinked, just leave it alone and it will regenerate inside and become stronger.

Hopefully I answered your questions. Feel free to ask if not.

Back
Top Bottom