Police Steal Money from Elderly Medical Marijuana Patients

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
It is not at all uncommon for the war on drugs to target the very last people among us who ought to be treated as criminals:

For example, the 90-year-old couple, Lester (”Smitty”) and Mary Smith–who were raided at their Philo home last week (9.24.08) with law enforcement seizing their life savings and all their plants in the process–are qualified patients with doctors’ approvals and did nothing wrong.Smitty said, “I wasn’t worried a bit. I knew it was legal. I planted six plants two years in a row and this year, I planted 17 for me and Mary. That’s not too many is it? My wife is very ill, confined to a wheelchair or recliner. She likes the bud tea. She has severe arthritis. It makes it easier for her to get around. She walks easier; she can walk to the bathroom even by herself.”

Smitty has health issues too. “I have heart problems, blood clots, stomach cramps, emphysema, bad hips. I’ve had a heart attack. I sometimes get strong chest pains and can’t breathe right. I take nitroglycerine. That brings me back. My doctors want me to take more x-rays here locally but that would be a big expense. Usually, I go to the Veterans Hospital and they pay for it.”

Mary Smith was forced to stay in the house by herself during the 5-hour raid while additional warrants for an adjoining parcel were telephoned in and delivered, allowing sheriff’s deputies to enter all the residences.

The elderly Smiths were not arrested or charged with a crime, because there was none. Sheriff’s deputies were apparently more interested in robbery than arrest (excuse my french). They seized the two things that mattered most to the ill couple–their medicine, all 17 plants, leaving nothing–and their life savings, $52,000 from Mary Smith’s inheritance and $29,000 in cashed in CDs.

“As soon as the bail-out hit, I cashed in my CDs and put the money in a safe in my house. I did not sell pot to get it. But turns out my money was not safe. They stormed in here and turned our world upside down. I thought I was legal.” [IndyBay]

This is the real war on drugs. It’s not some magic formula that only screws over bad people. The drug war proliferates injustice everywhere it goes.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: politicaladept.com
Copyright: 2009 WordPress.com
Website: Police Steal Money from Elderly Medical Marijuana Patients | Stop the Drug War (DRCNet) {political adept}

This is fucking despicable. Those are the only words i can sum up to explain this situation. I could understand loosely where the police would be coming from if the targets in question were five 20-somethings, selling and growing marijuana, even if it was legal, atleast they can, to some extent, support themselves.

But this. Under what right does the police have to STEAL these people's money?! The marijuana they can make an argument for, a loose and ill-informed argument which is based on little to no facts, but stealing 52 THOUSAND dollars from this elderly couple is simply despicable. Their life savings! Two 90 year olds! Are they harming anyone?! Are they influencing others to use the drug?! Are they stealing?! Do they harm or murder?! NO!!

Fuck "War on drugs". This is a war against the American people. What RIGHT does this government have to do this to these poor people?! This disgusts me.

Man don't this kind of stuff just piss you the fuck off.
What a horrible country we've become. I like when Mrs. Obama made thae comment thet she could "finally be pruoud of her country" Well me and a few million others I think are still waiting. And I know it won't happen in my lifetime, but I sincerely hope that at some point Americans could be proud again and not imbarrased going abroad and trying to hide the fact the you're American.

if that couple lives long enough that theft of their money willcost the cops millions in legalfees ihope their heirs and estate are informed and pursue it dopesn't the billof rights talkabout unreasonable search and seizure those folks are old enough tohave been through this before in the 1930's so claiming it was drug money shouldn't fly but this is dea and forfeiture laws guilty untilproven innocent crap....

This is very sad. I can only imagine the pain and anxiety that this has caused this couple. I hope that everything works out for them and hopefully more people will see this story and open their eyes to this so-called "War on Drugs" and repeal cannabis prohibition......

Keep us informed on the situation. I am really interested in what is going to happen. Those folks should get themselves a good lawyer and sew the state that allowed the raid, if they truly did not commit any crimes.

Truly disgusting.

another reason the laws need to be changed. Even the ones enforcing the laws are subject to there own vices. Everyone has there own motives, no matter what side of the badge you're on.

this country is in a police state, theres nothing free about it.

those poor old people.. im going to be someone in their 20s with nothing going on when i get caught. wonder if they'll go easier.. my grandpa has shakes from getting hit on the head too hard.. and when he smokes, he can grip a cup and drink pretty well. without it, he needs a straw and still spills.

Back
Top Bottom