Church Leader Says He Shouldn't Be Charged For Pot Grow Next To School

mcwow

ANACORTES, Wa- An Anacortes church leader told KIRO 7 on Wednesday he shouldn't face charges for growing marijuana next to a school, even though he was growing more than what his medical license to grow allowed.
Students at Erie Elementary were firing off small rockets to celebrate their graduation on Monday. When a couple fifth-graders went into the woods nearby to retrieve the rockets, they stumbled upon the grow.
The man growing the marijuana, Peter Jackson, wasn't shy about showing off the 30 plants he's growing, and didn't hide the fact that he was smoking marijuana when we talked to him.
"This is Cheese, AK-47, lemon drop, blueberry, indica, sweet tooth, elephant and crystal," he said, motioning to several plants on his property.
Police said they seized 60 plants from Jackson's property.
Jackson has medical marijuana papers that allow him to keep 30 more for himself and another patient but he admitted he was growing more -- enough to share with 100 members of his church.
"We use marijuana as a sacrament," Jackson said. "We don't believe we need paperwork for how many plants we grow or how much weed we're allowed to smoke."
Jackson said his church is a branch of the Universal Life Church of Modesto, California.
But some parents nearby worry that the garden is too open and too close to the elementary school.
"They got in there once; they can do it again," said Gordon Smith, referencing the fifth-graders who got into Jackson's yard.
Smith also worried about Jackson and his congregation.
"If they're smoking, they're probably out driving," Smith said.
The Sheriff's Office said prosecutors are looking at possible charges. Jackson said he isn't worried.
"I am a sovereign individual and I live with the power of love in my heart every day," he said, laughing.

I don't see mention of a fence anywhere.

Do people that use cannabis for spiritual purposes call it "weed?" I don't recall hearing shamans calling their mixtures *cid. Maybe they do, though. I'm not familiar with that particular religion.

I don't see mention of a fence anywhere.

Do people that use cannabis for spiritual purposes call it "weed?" I don't recall hearing shamans calling their mixtures *cid. Maybe they do, though. I'm not familiar with that particular religion.

Who calls *yahuasca *cid? Or ... wait, then again I have known people who will call any psychedelic as "*cid", so you are right good sir! And some shaman in Mexico used psychedelic mushrooms, which are closer to *cid than the chemicals usually found in *yahuasca...

Either way, I get your point. They probably don't call them "trip juice" or whatever the slang is going around for their sacraments. Seems a little disrespectful.

Hell, I'm just a heathen medical user and I prefer to refer to my reffer as cannabis.

Edit: I wonder if he thinks, because its for religious use, that his WEED :) shouldn't be taxed...

I guess it's all semantics. I've been known to refer to cannabis as herb. And yes, even weed - albeit when I was LOTS younger. A name is only that. Just seems like when dealing with a public who is not especially fond of it, that it would be better to use a term that does not have quite the same...

Hey. When I had some GrandDaddy Grape Ape, the Cannabis Cup winner of the year, it WAS a religious experience. And when you think about it, the plant itself is a gift from God, well, there you have it. Praise the Lord.

Sounds like the guy just wasn't using any commonsense. First you can't legally grow outside in Washington. It can't be grown anywhere in public view. SO inside or in a greenhouse that you can't see in is about it. Many have tried to make the religious arguement, courts don't believe it. Certainly lots of the southern native Amerikans used it and should able to legally.

Yeah, though it is interesting that being a priest he supports the growth of pot; it wasn't smart of him to do it outside where people can just walk by it. Maybe he was trying to start a community garden? Hahaha.

Yes, this is an example of what not to do. The fact is that WE do need Clergy to step into the fray, as I have. Please support us at GLM420.org. Thank you.

Nothing wrong with trying to get use on religious grounds. But the courts aren't buying into it. And too close to a school is another bogus law. But people keep wanting the police to do there parenting for them so it continues on.

this is the greatest news story i have ever read!
just because the fascist court system won't consider religious freedom does not mean that it is irrelevant. all ganja use is religious use imo, even for an atheist or agnostic or scientist or what have you.
especially love the grower's humor and lack of shame.

>if school children stumble ..
mm yes and no. "properly"... the fact is we are talking about an innocuous herb which is no threat to anyone. proximity to schools is nothing but propaganda/scare tactic

I agree yes-I that the plant is an herb but I don't like to give folks a reason to complain. Example ->I belive if school children had not found the garden, it would not be an issue or newsworthy.

Shandar

I'm with everybody that parents should do their own parenting etc. but there was no fence and this is not a "break in", "trespass", or "theft". The child literally stumbled upon it while at a school activity. It provides "scare-tactic" material. Example: "People will grow Marijuana behind schools if we make it legal". Even if the man wanted to grow in this proximity to a school, why not a fence?

Shandar

Back
Top Bottom