City of Castle Rock passes law to limit dispensaries

mcwow

CASTLE ROCK, Wash. - The concept of the "community garden" is about to take a big twist in some Washington towns.

Starting July 22, small groups of medical marijuana growers in the state will be able to create community gardens to grow their plants.

It's a hot topic in the Cowlitz County town of Castle Rock. On Monday, the city council passed a law limiting the areas where people can plant these new gardens.

The city passed an emergency ordinance that allows the gardens to be planted in two business districts along Interstate 5. The two zones are near the exit that most people take when driving to Mount Saint Helens.

The law was designed to keep the gardens away from the downtown area.

City leaders said they wanted to ban the gardens entirely, but their lawyer said that is not allowed under state law.

KATU tried to talk with city council members and the city attorney about the ordinance. Some members were not available and others refused to speak to a reporter about the issue.

The owner of the only medical marijuana clinic in Castle Rock said forcing the gardens to be in a small area by the freeway will make them easy targets for criminals.

"We all have state-given rights, the voters all voted for this," said Julian Robertson, the owner of Healing Hand of God Medical Marijuana Clinic. "Now we have a city that's trying to say you can't have your rights or 'we're going to be giving you your rights and deciding where you can put your business"

Because the ordinance was passed as an "emergency," public comment was not allowed. There will be a public comment period at the next city council meeting on July 27.

In downtown Castle Rock, where the gardens now can't be placed, people who spoke with KATU had mixed feelings.

"I don't know if I'm for it or against it," said Denise Withers.

"I don't use marijuana, never have used marijuana, never will use marijuana," said barber Les Greene. "I have no interest one way or the other."

"Little old Castle Rock, sometimes it's the little towns that do the weirdest things," said Sharon Blankenship.

The state law requires that community medical gardens have a locking fence and not be visible from public spaces. Growers can have up to 45 plants that supply 10 patients with pot.

Medical marijuana user Zach Cheesman said he supports the gardeners, even if it means they might be violating federal law which outlaws growing pot.

"It's helping people you, you know? That's the big thing," he said. "We can't even afford to buy any pot from anyone."

Other cities, including Issaquah, Snohomish and Mukilteo have passed or are considering moratoriums preventing the gardens so they can see how other towns handle the new law.

Back
Top Bottom