Reps and Likes

I've seen a couple people ask recently about rep points and likes and what is the difference. When I first joined this community I had no idea what they were, how they were awarded and what those green boxes meant.

Reps and Likes are a way of recognizing your fellow member for things they've posted, said, done etc... The differences are subtle. When you click the "like" button on a post, or picture you are telling the poster and the rest of the community that you "like" what you've seen or read. It is part of the public forum and everyone can see who "liked" the thread. There are no points awarded for "liking" someone.

Reps are a different story. Reps are given when another member sees some value or merit in what another posts. Reps are also a private matter, the rest of the community never knows who rep'd someone else. The recipient of the rep will get a Private Message that they've received the rep along with a short message from the giver. Now here is the major difference. When a member receives reps, it counts towards rep points, which in turn equal little green boxes under the person's name. The more green boxes, the higher a person's reputation amongst their fellow members.

As you look at some of the older member you see a lot of green boxes. I think that has to do a lot with the "facebook" mentality of just hitting "like" when you see something that warrants merit. Also the mechanism for giving reps is not widely known. Down at the bottom left corner you'll notice 3 icons. The center icon is a scale and clicking on that will allow you to rep a member. Often time you will see someone post "+reps" in a post to let others know that this member did/said something rep-worthy.

Also, you can't rep the same person over and over. You have to rep other members and spread the love before you can rep the same member again. Remember the Beatle's song "In the end the love you take is equal to the love you make"

I've posted 2 links that provide more information on the reps system and the second link goes into detail explaining the process (thanks Tortured Soul, Soniq420, PitViper and Be Irie...+reps for all of you)

Reputation points

I've decided to get the +rep train back on track. For every 5 likes I give out, I will give out at least on +rep. Too many single green squares out there, need to spread the love. If you find yourself hitting the "like" button often, take the extra 10 seconds to give the +rep points.

Hey SteveHman, I gave you +rep a few days ago, along with everyone else helping me out with my grow! Thanks for this thread. Glad to know what it all means! :roorrip:
Greenie,
Thanks for the reps, you see some of the older members that have tons of rep points, back when it was more common to use reps instead of "likes". I've made it a goal to +rep at least 5 times a day to give back a little bit.

I've seen a couple people ask recently about rep points and likes and what is the difference. When I first joined this community I had no idea what they were, how they were awarded and what those green boxes meant.

Reps and Likes are a way of recognizing your fellow member for things they've posted, said, done etc... The differences are subtle. When you click the "like" button on a post, or picture you are telling the poster and the rest of the community that you "like" what you've seen or read. It is part of the public forum and everyone can see who "liked" the thread. There are no points awarded for "liking" someone.

Reps are a different story. Reps are given when another member sees some value or merit in what another posts. Reps are also a private matter, the rest of the community never knows who rep'd someone else. The recipient of the rep will get a Private Message that they've received the rep along with a short message from the giver. Now here is the major difference. When a member receives reps, it counts towards rep points, which in turn equal little green boxes under the person's name. The more green boxes, the higher a person's reputation amongst their fellow members.

As you look at some of the older member you see a lot of green boxes. I think that has to do a lot with the "facebook" mentality of just hitting "like" when you see something that warrants merit. Also the mechanism for giving reps is not widely known. Down at the bottom left corner you'll notice 3 icons. The center icon is a scale and clicking on that will allow you to rep a member. Often time you will see someone post "+reps" in a post to let others know that this member did/said something rep-worthy.

Also, you can't rep the same person over and over. You have to rep other members and spread the love before you can rep the same member again. Remember the Beatle's song "In the end the love you take is equal to the love you make"

I've posted 2 links that provide more information on the reps system and the second link goes into detail explaining the process (thanks Tortured Soul, Soniq420, PitViper and Be Irie...+reps for all of you)

Reputation points

This should be a "Sticky"

I didn't like this post because this isn't FB... Good info, thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom