Bad Advice

MickFoster

The title of this forum is Frequently Asked Questions - Growers helping each other learn. As I read through the threads on the different forums, it's amazing to me the amount of wrong and potential harmful advice that is given to people that need help. I have always known that the bad advice existed but a post on one of the threads that I read yesterday prompted me to vent a bit. The person grew in 50% coco and 50% perlite, he listed all the pertinent information needed to possibly diagnose his problem, and the advice he received from one of the so-called growers was to not feed the plants for at least 2 months and to let them completely dry out before watering again - this information would have killed his plants. I've been growing for many years but I don't claim to be an expert in every type of grow - if I don't have personal experience I don't give advice. For instance, I have never grown in soil - so when a question arises involving soil I don't respond. Even though I have read a lot about soil grows - I don't have the hands on experience to answer the question intelligently. I don't have an answer to this problem - perhaps we should be required to answer a questionnaire to determine our grow knowledge and have a rating based on that.

That's what the "report post" function is for. It allows you to explain your reason for reporting too!

There are a few mods here, they keep the forum as clean as they can but also reporting posts is a big help too.

Vlad:bongrip:

The Report Post icon is that little triangle with the exclamation sign in the middle at the bottom left edge of the posting box.

Generally it's used to report abusive posts or spam but can be also used to report anything that you think should be brought to the attention of a mod. Say you accidentally post the same thing twice then you can report the second post to a mod and request it be removed. Or someone posts something inflammatory in yours or another's thread it can be reported so as to prevent others getting a flame war started.

I see a lot of really dumb grow advice posted here that I know better than to follow but new users don't have the knowledge yet to be able to separate the good from the bad and could potentially ruin their plants. Most of the time the poster believes the info to be useful but sometimes it's meant sarcastically or maliciously.

Having a good grow bible on hand can help so I keep a couple at hand.

:peace:

.. the advice he received from one of the so-called growers was to not feed the plants for at least 2 months and to let them completely dry out before watering again -

Got a link to that thread? :thanks:

Gotcha, thanks. - Help required! 3 plants - All came out differently

That member obviously mistakenly assumed that the grower was using some kind of commercial potting mix and overlooked the fact that he was using Coco/perlite. You were right to correct him and he responded politely, as did you. Anyone can make a mistake or misread a post, I initially misread your OP as complaining about advice that says not to water for 2 months :loopy:

This is a cannabis forum; some members may occasionally be medicated while posting and the best intentions do not always prevent us from making a mistake. Maybe you will misread a post sometime in the future and someone will help you by calling you out, as you did for this member. Sometimes we help someone, sometimes we need help ourselves. No-one is perfect.

Please continue to help both new and established members, that is what we are here for :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom