Direct link to post numbers not working

Hello,

I've been having trouble with linking directly to a post in other threads for a month or so now.

It seems that when I copy/paste the link after clicking on the post number, it drops the post number from the link when I paste it to a new post and submit it.

It will go to the correct page, but won't direct link to the post. I can see it there correctly when I paste, but once I hit submit it drops it.

The only way I have been able to fix it is to go back to my post and edit the link by adding the actual post number as it appeared in the original link after .html.

For example, this post number would have been shown as #post3037546 after the .html in the URL. The #post3037546 is the part that keeps disappearing once submitted.

Is anyone else experiencing trouble with this?

Thank you.

Is anyone else experiencing trouble with this?

Well, let's see. I used the link in your .SIG to get to your current journal. I jumped to page 51 (I have configured my settings for the maximum number of posts per page) and scrolled about halfway down, which gave me post #2017. I right-clicked on the "#2017" link on the right of the post and am pasting it here:
Cannafan's Perpetual Grow - Where Everything Changes - Autos - Photos - Seeds & More!

Where does that link take you?

BtW, is this a consistent issue, or does it come and go? Sometimes when I click the button on one of my posts to edit it, it instead takes me to the quick-reply box at the bottom of the page. But it is not consistent (I actually thought I might be clicking on the wrong button until I started paying close attention). I just sort of figured that it's one of the things I have to live with because I have blocked Google's scripts (specifically, in regards to this forum, ajax.googleapis.com and google-analytics.com). I already figured out that I am unable to "like" and "thank" posts unless I wish to allow them to run on it (which is why I do not like/thank posts, lol, not because I'm an @sshole or anything (although the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive).

Well, let's see. I used the link in your .SIG to get to your current journal. I jumped to page 51 (I have configured my settings for the maximum number of posts per page) and scrolled about halfway down, which gave me post #2017. I right-clicked on the "#2017" link on the right of the post and am pasting it here:
Cannafan's Perpetual Grow - Where Everything Changes - Autos - Photos - Seeds & More!

Where does that link take you?

BtW, is this a consistent issue, or does it come and go? Sometimes when I click the button on one of my posts to edit it, it instead takes me to the quick-reply box at the bottom of the page. But it is not consistent (I actually thought I might be clicking on the wrong button until I started paying close attention). I just sort of figured that it's one of the things I have to live with because I have blocked Google's scripts (specifically, in regards to this forum, ajax.googleapis.com and google-analytics.com). I already figured out that I am unable to "like" and "thank" posts unless I wish to allow them to run on it (which is why I do not like/thank posts, lol, not because I'm an @sshole or anything (although the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive).

The link takes me to page 1 of the journal, not the specific post. Just to the first post on the page. Your post # dropped after you submitted, if it was there when you pasted. Mouse over the link as it shows now, and you will not see the #postnumber there. (The URL shows at the bottom of the page for me when I mouse over the link) If you do see it there, let me know. It doesn't show here.

I don't have google blocking scripts, so that's not the problem on this end. This is consistent for me. It happens every time I try to link someone directly to the exact post. I didn't have any trouble with it up until a little over a month or so ago.

:thanks:

Edit: And I've never thought you to be an @sshole in any manner. LOL

Okay, I'm going to do some screen shots on what happens here. I will edit this post with the screen shots after I've finished. :)

Here is a test link to the above post number, WITH the #post3038533 following the .html at the end of the link.

Direct link to post numbers not working

Okay, now here's what happened:

First I show the link as copied when clicking on the post # to direct us to:

post_number_problem.jpg

Then paste the full link I copied to a post box and then hit submit:

post_number_problem_2.jpg

Now notice the URL at the bottom when I moused over the link in the post. There is no post number: ( I had to load that one off topic because the logo was covering up what I needed to show)

post_number_problem_31.jpg

And this is where it took me. Page 1, first post:

post_number_problem_4.jpg

Hey, you're right, my post got pooched, too. Yep, definitely a bug - and it's not just affecting you. So your report can be looked at as having been confirmed to affect multiple users (IOW, it is probably site-wide, as opposed to being something on your end or even just with your account information in the database).

Good eye.

Hmm...

That's the same link. I'm going to switch to the advanced message entry system, because it displays a preview of my post. I'll take a look at the link there - both in the edit/entry box and in the preview itself...

Okay. It is still a valid (and correct) link, both in the advanced editor and in the message preview that displays above it. However, the link has not actually been parsed by the forum software yet. In other words, it still displays the actual link - shortened in the preview, but it's still there and the actual link is still complete - in both places. It has not been changed to show the title of the thread instead of the http address at this point.

This leads me to assume that the bug is within the link-parsing routine. I wonder if there was an update to it, and that update was installed when you initially noticed the issue? If so, perhaps the issue afnotfects every forum around the globe that uses it, lol? IF that is the case, then the developer may well have produced an, err, update to the update. Our webmaster doesn't just blindly install updates though, I'm sure, due to security concerns and the sensitive nature of our subject here. So even if there is already a fix out, there could be some delay while the person who does such things puts it under the microscope (so to speak). One of the - very many - reasons that I chose this forum for my virtual cannabis home is that the staff and owner of the forum doesn't do anything "blindly" where our security, privacy, and safety are concerned.

EDIT: The link got pooched again just as soon as I submitted the post, of course.

Thanks for looking things over TS! Glad it's not just on my end here.

I edited my post above with screenshots of what happens.

:thumb:

And I totally agree on your thoughts of the owner and staff here not doing things blindly. So...I like to be absolutely sure there is a legitimate issue before I post to the website help thread.

:circle-of-love:

Oops, thought I noticed a different problem...but it wasn't. LOL

I did the same thing a while back. Then I realized that I just couldn't hold my hands up off the laptop whilst typing like I used to, so my hand kept touching the "mouselike device" and the point where I was typing would jump around. Turned out that that issue... was all me. Made a setting adjustment and it went away, lol.

Back
Top Bottom