Herbies Desserts to Sweeten Your Day @ Otters

I'm so far behind that nothing I say will be of great import, but I didn't know that while I was quoting and I'd hate to see that all go to waste!

Hi folks, it's a sad news update. We have a good member who passed. Pennywise recently went to grow pot for the angels. He brought me from nerves to steady every day for months! Good growing Pennywise!
OMG that's so sad. He was an incredible fixture here for so long that it's hard to believe he's not longer on this earth. I realize he left the site a few years ago, but his knowledge (especially of breeding and breed origins) is hard to replace.

:rip: @Pennywise
or your calcium is antagonizing your K due to an imbalance.
That was my first thought: classic K deficiency, probably caused by too much Ca. How you fix that in an LOS SIP grow was something all the brilliant folks who grow that way have sorted through, but giving up the 4ml of daily cal-mag seemed like a good place to start.
Photone is on my phone and now I'm unsure how that's working out.
My Photone app was way off until I calibrated it against my Dr Meter LX1330B
$35.00 with a flexible cord to the sensor. Once I calibrated the Photone to that they have been consistently close.
that chart is too aggressive for most organic methods
How does that relate to outside grows, where DLI charts are pretty meaningless?
concerning having more and upper roots to grow a plant then me not feeding those roots to let them do their jobs.
I recall your first SIP grow you mentioning that there were fewer roots near the surface than you expected, if that helps at all.
I have to look at different light meters. My confidence has left the building and that's all there is
See above recommendation. :thumb:
I too need a light meter because right now I can only measure temp and RH. 🍋
See above recommendation. :thumb:
@InTheShed I thought of you and aphids when I read this! Have you seen it? Found it here while I was down the hole. I'm thinking of using it outside this summer. I got some at Build a soil. Here's the Vid @Carmen Ray has up if you're interested. I'm hoping for preventitive mite help.

"Beauveria bassiana is a naturally occurring entomopathogenic fungus that is not only effective for fungi insect control, but also pet safe indoor insecticide. This fungus is widely used as an agricultural pest control insecticide, specifically for the treatment of aphids and other soft-bodied insects in greenhouse, field, and nursery crops. This environmentally safe technique provides an alternative to chemical insecticides used in agricultural pest control, and is also a safe option for pet owners with indoor plants who want to use pet safe indoor insecticide. "
Thanks Otter, I did see that this morning! I haven't had a chance to watch the videos yet (as I catch up on the site), but I do know that between using one bacteria for pests and another for PM leaves me wondering if I can mix the two together, or if I have to alternate or choose the greater of two evils to treat!

How does that relate to outside grows, where DLI charts are pretty meaningless

DLI is really only useful outdoors for determining what you can grow well with the light in your area. It’s not something you can manipulate very easily outdoors since you can’t really add light. You could use shade to cut it down but that’s not necessary for cannabis.

In most places you’re not going to be reaching levels much beyond 40 or so, and when you do its likely for a short period of time.

“Monthly-averaged DLI values range between 20-40 in the tropics, 15-60 at 30° latitude and 1-40 at 60° latitude.” Depending on the time of year, weather, cloud cover, etc.

So while you may hit 55 one day, you may be at 15 the next with overcast skies. The day may start bright and have clouds roll in. So many things happen outdoors that break up those consistent numbers you deal with indoors that light saturation really isn’t a concern. Plus it’s the sun. It’s basically the perfect light source still, in my opinion.

Otter, I don't know the SNS products your are referring to so I am in no way trying to made a comment on them, but do give Beauveria Bassiana a look too. You might decide to use both. I have used it very effectively outdoors in a regular foliar treatment, say weekly. I have posted a Youtube video explainer in my thread, of how it can be used. I was thrilled to bits to see this vlogger guy recommending it, and he dusts his seeds with it! I will be doing that going forward. BB is a fungus that attacks arthropods and feeds on them. I've been impressed by it. Apart from a few grass hoppers and the odd solitary locust, I didn't see pests. 🐞🐝Are reportedly safe: What About The Bees?
Grasshoppers are assholes. Every.single.one.of.them.

OMG that's so sad. He was an incredible fixture here for so long that it's hard to believe he's not longer on this earth. I realize he left the site a few years ago, but his knowledge (especially of breeding and breed origins) is hard to replace.
Penny was the first of now many members to help me when I needed it! :rip:
My Photone app was way off until I calibrated it against my Dr Meter LX1330B
Done I'll see it tomorrow, thanks!
This is great news! A quick turnaround in flower is a godsend! I'm looking forward to your brix reading.
I'm seeing brown top bud pistils turn white again so that's another good sign! Yes, no doubt those smaller leaves are getting their green on now! You should have seen the Purple Ghost Candy when I cut the mulch plastic off! Jammed with top roots and wet as a sauna! Every strand a wick! Hmmmm, I wonder if this is a better way to develop banging roots, then remove the cover 2 weeks in flower? We'll see if there's a lag getting the changeover to bark mulch and top water!
That brix # is coming. I forgot the garlic press yesterday. I'm real curious myself!
Hey Otter, I been catching up and following the drama, interesting, very glad to hear that she may be turning around.

Sorry to hear of @Pennywise's passing.
Hey Stunger, just a little drama thanks to all the help from everyone! I think they are all in for a good finish!

You should have seen the Purple Ghost Candy when I cut the mulch plastic off! Jammed with top roots and wet as a sauna! Every strand a wick! Hmmmm, I wonder if this is a better way to develop banging roots, then remove the cover 2 weeks in flower?
I do something similar with mulch but opposite. If light hits the top of the soil roots will stop about 1.5 inches below the surface.

Thats a huge chunk of a pot not getting used, so 2 weeks before flip, after many top dressings have built up on the surface, I apply a fairly heavy layer of mulch to block light and bring the roots up into that rich unused soil, to power thru stretch.

A carbon heavy mulch such as bark nuggets will hold moisture up top and roots will chase it.

So either way, it's a tool to figure into your needs and your grow style.

Black cloth instead of plastic will breathe but block light too.
We'll see if there's a lag getting the changeover to bark mulch and top water!
Of this I am definitely curious, but as long as you keep some water down bottom from time to time so the bottom roots don't have to convert at the same time, it should be painless.

Even if you water from above and the reservoir catches the runoff.

A cheapo water probe can guide you here to assist on finding a good soil moisture level.
That brix # is coming. I forgot the garlic press yesterday. I'm real curious myself!
Stoners...sheesh🤪

Azi got 120% increase in brix in just under 2 weeks by drying his sip down a bit. He's almost in the safe zone. 😎.

Fingers crossed🤞
Hey Stunger, just a little drama thanks to all the help from everyone! I think they are all in for a good finish!

Back
Top Bottom