Arizona Senate OKs Medical Marijuana Tax

Arizona voters could get the chance to legalize medical marijuana, and the state Legislature may tax it.

A group called the Medical Marijuana Policy Project is gathering signatures for a voter initiative that would make it legal to have small amount of pot with a doctor's recommendation.

If the measure gets on the November ballot and is approved by voters, a bill by Tucson Democratic Sen. Jorge Garcia calls for taxing the marijuana sold under the act.

The Senate's 17-12 vote Thursday sends the bill to the House.

An analysis by the nonpartisan legislative budget staff found that taxing medical marijuana could generate nearly $1 million for the state General Fund in the 2012 fiscal year.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: KOLD News 13 Live
Copyright: 2010 WorldNow and KOLD

Senate Bill 1222, if approved, would add Arizona Sales Tax, currently at the rate of 5.6%, plus a Luxury Tax of $20 per ounce if the medical marijuana bill pass in November.

How quickly they forget. Back about 96, when we attempted to vote in Medical Marijuana the FIRST time, AZ State Government had "tax stamps" that it was selling. They then turned around and tried to prosecute the individuals who tried to comply. It was really just a "confiscation of property" tactic. The courts said they couldn't have it both ways, and they repealed the tax act. Subsequently, the same state government ignored the overwhelming mandate by initiative petition of the people, not once but TWICE to recognize the medical use of Cannabis. Their arguments were based on semantic technicalities. Now they want to have a tax act again, since its fairly clear that three is a charm, and the people aren't giving up; the latest initiative petition is going to pass again with an overwhelming majority. I'd just like to put out there, that I would totally support a "Luxury Tax" for recreational use of Cannabis; but to put a "Luxury Tax" on chronically ill individuals is just flat out wrong. I know they need to figure out some way to balance the AZ budget deficit, since they can legalize "sparklers" and appoint a "state horse", but are unable to fund keeping schools open. The members of the Arizona State Government are much more concerned with political ideology, generating tax dollars, and covering their own butts, than they are in actually doing the right thing and helping people. Please let your reps know that we won't let them sweep this under the rug yet again. Hamase

I absolutely agree. Arizona State's priorities are not for us taxpayers. No medical prescription is currently taxed, yet they want not only their sales tax but a punishing Luxury tax. Some luxury when you're sick. But then Arizona also has some of the highest sales tax on cigarettes. When luxury taxes first came about, the purpose was to charge excess tax on expensive luxury material items, which would then be imposing more tax on those who could afford it, which is fine. When you write your reps, questioning the legality of this tax on a medical prescription may be worthwhile. There may be a loophole, but seriously, do they really believe that Cannabis for medical purposes would be a luxury, and that those purchasing it who are ill could readily afford it? HydroGal

I don't care how high they raise the tobacco tax; our local medical clinic is supposedly subsidized by that tax. Also, my own health issues preclude smoking. I suppose in the greater scheme of things, we should go ahead and let them pass it, because in their desperation to find a new source of tax revenue it might further the cause of flat out legalization. It would probably be easier to pass an exemption for medical use after the tax bill passed. They still can't have their tax revenue and continue to prosecute folks who comply; but there is not a doubt in my mind that they will try. I'm pretty sure that even when the initiative passes next fall, that they will still throw so many obstacles in the way that it will be almost impossible to comply as long as one can still raise a spoon to ones own mouth.

No, it is not legal at this time. They are trying to get it on the November ballot, but Arizona government wants to make sure they get their huge piece of the action if it is approved in November. Hydrogal

Back
Top Bottom