Arkansas Mom Fights To Legalize Medical Marijuana

Robert Celt

A family in Greenbrier is saying that if the medical marijuana ballot measure passes, their lives could be changed forever.

Supporters claim that medical marijuana would help ease the pain for sick patients with debilitating conditions. Preslee, 4, is one of those patients. She deals with uncontrolled seizures daily, and doctors have said medical marijuana could change that.

Samantha Smith's daughter Preslee started having seizures at two months old.

"Right now, she's having anywhere from 10 to 20 a day," said Smith.

She explained that Preslee was born with a genetic mutation that makes her seizures hard to control. "Every time they add a medicine to us, I always get scared, because it's something else that's going to sedate her. It may make her lethargic."

After a stay in the PICU, Preslee's Neurologist told Smith about an oil that contains THC.

"He took us out in the hallway and told us they were hoping that there would be a trial here soon, and that he felt like Preslee would benefit," Smith said.

They even traveled to the Mayo Clinic to see about the trial, but because medicinal marijuana is not legal in Arkansas, Preslee was not chosen.

"If you were in my position, and if you were watching your child suffer... this is out there, and it could help her. There's other people that it is helping, and I'm just begging for her to have that chance," said Smith.

In 2012, Smith said she was heartbroken when the issue failed by just one percent of the vote. This time, Smith hopes voters educate themselves on the issue and possibly give Preslee back her quality of life.

"As a mother, when you're sitting there and you know that something else is out there that's proven to help other children, it's really hard for me to just sit back and watch what they do to her," Smith said.

Many people who oppose the legislation worry that medical marijuana could be misused and abused. This current ballot measure would not allow individuals to grow their own medical marijuana.

epilepsy-medical-cannabis-737x400.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Arkansas Mom Fights To Legalize Medical Marijuana
Author: Meredith Mitchell
Photo Credit: None found

If something works then use it, just as long as there isn't any bad side effects. I would rather smoke something that grew out of the ground than something that was created in a lab all day long. The fight is across the country and I see these stories all the time. I even like the ones that show people with cancer and their tumors shrink or go away due to taking cannabis oil.

David

Back
Top Bottom