Automation and Control

G-Dog

I am an electrical engineer. I specialize in automation and control and have been doing it for 30 years.

I love automation and have employed my skills in the automation and control of machinery on ships. Generally you have a computer system that controls an input output device called a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC).

What a PLC does is receive inputs from various sensors like heat detectors or level switches, take that information to a computer that sends an instruction back to the PLC to exercise some action. This is overkill for most grows, of course, but I am just telling you my background.

I would like to dedicate this thread to the sole purpose of automation brain storming. There are other threads for power or lumens, so let's try to stay focused on automation here. If you want to know how or what you need to control your grow op bring it here. If you discover something that we could look at bring it here.

Automation can be pretty expensive, but together we can find the most efficient ways to automate some aspect of our grow. By the way, once you get into automation and control you can also integrate security.

It occurs to me that of you need to control the exhaust fan to keep the temperature approximately level, why not use a Room Thermostat, as featured in most central heating systems?
I'm new here, but been reading a lot, and I've not seen any articles regarding this type of thermostat control. Perhaps it's they're not that accurate?
Any comments? And if they're not suitable, what WOULD be a suitable type of temperature controlled fan system?

Welcome to 420 Fish, although I feel a bit funny saying that as I am a newby too.

There are many kinds of thermostats in many price ranges. You have those that you turn a dial to an approximate temperature and there are those that have programming features with remote sensors. All easy to obtain at home stores.

Since the temperature drops at night in a flower cycling grow operation, you really do not need the programming, but the remote sensor is nice because you have a digital display that you can fine tune.

I would suggest a remote sensor and place it as close to the canopy as practical. Accuracy is not really too important as you can play with it until you get the desired results. You should keep a log to see what works best for you.

Well I wd. think even for the night flower time as u noted one still may need to have something turn a fan on,depending where one lives...SO...

How about letting us know something SIMPLE to hook up to control a Exhaust fan say... and also a Dehumid unit,, base on either tempo and or Humidity??? Thanks

Pizza, I need a bit more information.

baseboards are okay for keeping the room warm, can be run from a thermostat and do not make any light. More than 100 watts and you need 240v

Playing with contactors can be fun and can make a safer grow room if done correctly. Give me some specific questions and include a lot of information and I will try to help.

You could use any kind of heater that doesn't make light and connect any heater to a reliable thermostat. I like those radiator oil heaters that run off of 120v, but you could use anything.

Back
Top Bottom