Beginner Setup

doobiedoo

Hi mates!

I recently ordered a couple of books on growing, and until I receive them, I thought I would ask for your opinions regarding my novice idea for an indoor growing setup with a limited budget.

I just want to grow one plant from a bag seed for growing experience. I was thinking about starting out with a 5-gallon pot (with drainage holes in the bottom and a water receptacle under it to catch excess water). I would fill it up with peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite. I would place the dry seed about one inch deep in the center of the bucket/pot. I would water very gently...all the while I would have a compact fluorescent light, reflector, and mylared walls and ground working to grow the seedling on an 18-hr light/6-hr darkness schedule. For ventilation and air circulation, I would have a small fan blowing towards the pot/fluorescent light fixture on the lowest setting.

Only after the plant reaches 1 foot would I switch to a high pressure sodium light and a 12-hr light/12-hr darkness schedule. I would continue this until the plant doubles or triples in size and is fully flowered/budded. I would harvest the buds after the plant reaches my desired height. I would hang the buds from the detached stems and allow them to dry until the leaves lose their green color. Then the buds are ready for consumption, right?

I know nothing at this point about the desired fertilizer. I understand that I should use fertilizer that is "food/consumption" friendly and at 1/4 the recommended strength. I recall a Foxfarm brand from fellow grower/posters. Can anyone mention a specific type within a brand?

Does my novice setup sound feasible? Is there anything I should change--add or remove from the aforementioned strategy?

Thanks all for your help! :allgood:

Your ventalation might not be adequate for a hps. Your just talking about a fan that will move around the hot air and ot remove it. You will need a exhaust to run a hps.

Hey, Urdedpal! Thanks for the quick reply! Are you talking about having a fan built into the HPS that blows the heat from the bulb through a duct about 5-10 feet long? Does the duct need to run outside of the grow room to remove the hot air? Thanks again!

-doobiedoo

You need to pump air out he room to replenish the depleted CO2 plus the heat build up, it will be in your books. It is always overlooked and is not exspensive.

And what are you going to do about the smell. The plants get pretty dank and the smell is very reconizable. I use carbon filters but there are other methods.

Regarding the heat/CO2 issue, I have a narrow prospective grow room with two doors: one leading into the home and one leading into the garage. There are no vents in the room. Would you recommend leaving the small door to the garage open enough for the duct hosing to reach out into the garage?

Thanks again for your support! I will be posting my experiences and knowledge gained from my sources in time. :smokin:

You could also punch a hole in the wall on the garage side and let it vent into the garage.
I am lucky enough to have a window or the rest of the basement depending on the season.

They sell dryer hose kits at Lowes or Home Depot so you can make it look all profesional if you do decide to cut a hole in the sheetrock.

I just purchased a 400w MH/HPS light system and some mylar! :adore:

Regarding ventillation, I have another small (approximately 7'x5'x14') room that has a vent in the floor through with cool air comes from the AC unit. Is that vent combined with a stationary fan sufficient ventillation for cooling and CO2 replenishing?

Glad to see you on the boards, doobiedoo. I hope you're getting all the information you need. In fact, I know you are:cheesygrinsmiley:

Happy tokin:smokin:

Legalize it, dammit!

Thanks, LdyTokeGoodSmoke! It is nice to have such a warm, supportive, caring grow community. I have learned quite a bit from reading grow journals and posts.

I decided that my only feasible grow room option is in the bathroom with a walk-in shower stall. It is well ventilated with an exhaust fan as well as an AC vent. There is also an electrical outlet for the fan, grow light, and timer. Do you think this is a more mature, informed grow room setup idea?

Back
Top Bottom