Bleached Buds

Sharky88

I am in the final couple weeks of flower in my latest grow and a bunch of the buds are starting to bleach out on the top. It's definately LED Light Stress even though my lights are 16" above the canopy evidently it was too much. A couple questions:

1. I know the potency of bleached buds is not good. If I remove the white tops will the remainder of the buds be fine (full potency)?

2. I don't want the bleaching to continue to increase over the next couple weeks while I wait for these to finish, but I also don't want to nerf the lights and inhibit growth. I could use some opinions on whether I keep my lights at full output or cut them back 50% or so. I'm trying to balance need for growth with the additional damage the lights may cause.

It's dark time right now, but I'll send some photos late tonight.

Shark

I ended up turning off one of my lights. The light manufacturer said if you get a strain that is susceptible to this you can also use shade cloth to cut down on the light. They sell it in different opacities, 30%, 50%, etc.

Bleaching seems to have stopped.

Anyone experience this? Should I cut off the bleached parts and toss it or is it smokable?

Thanks!

Sharky

Last 2 weeks of flower. Using Platinum P300's (100 3w diodes each). I have 2 in a small 2X3X7 cabinet. My plants explode in this cabinet and I've had zero issues with bleaching up until now. Think this strain is just sensitive to the light. I turned off 1 light and the bleaching has stopped, so think I'm good. Hairs have turned but still have a few clear trichomes and not any amber yet. Currently flushing so just waiting to finish, think most of the growth and swelling is done anyway.

I use LED's because I grow in cabinets with restricted space so proximity of the lights and heat are issues. I was reading that 3w and 5w LED diodes need extra clearance, its just hard in a small cabinet after they stretch. Right now I have around 16" but it was evidently not enough.

My real concern at this point is whether I smoke the bleached part or just cut and trash it.

Thanks for checking out my post MSSinful.

Sharky

Some pictures that may help someone else.

This shows the light clearance. Seems like plenty to me.
20170126_225219_014.jpg

Shows the setup from underneath. I always crop below the net.
20170130_222437.jpg

Bleached Buds
20170130_222459.jpg

20170130_222533.jpg

20170130_222516.jpg

Think I'm gonna just chop off the bleached parts. Have read it has much less THC and in fact the bleached part does have fewer trichomes when looking with a 420Scope.

Cheers!

Sharky

Back
Top Bottom