Blood Test for Insurance, insight needed!

MissKitn

Hello all,
This is my first post! Thank you for reading!

I've been digging through the internet for HOURS trying to find some answers. I've found a lot of info, but not enough. Figured this forum might be the best.

Here's the deal:
I smoke for pleasure and also have a myriad of health challenges that cause chronic pain. Due to pain, I got addicted to prescription pain pills (awful life.) I couldn't seem to quit without relapse, so I'm on a medicine that blocks opioid receptors and takes away cravings. I take a small amount of it (zero euphoric/high effects,) but keeps me well and controls my pain. I am under a doctors care for it and have been off the hard stuff for 3yrs. (Essential background info, please no 'advice' on this. I'm well informed & happy with it. Everyone has an opinion, and I've heard far too much from people that haven't walked in my shoes.)

When I first started seeing my doctor, I was open about my use of indigenous medicine and declared that I was not quitting that, but needed my life back. The Doc didn't object, but is flaky and forgot about it (the nurse confirmed that I should not bring it up again to Dr.)

However, my meds (very expensive) are covered by insurance. On my most recent visit, I was told that I have to take a blood test for insurance to keep covering them. I am unable to find the CPT codes anywhere; they are customized for that practice. So I have no idea what type of tests i'm looking at, only that it is a BLOOD test. One test seems to be a test for oxycodone & alcohol (not a problem, I don't drink that much) and the other test is a 'MedWatch Report.'

I've researched the company that does these medwatch blood tests, and there are 3 tiers. One is a basic panel & only checks THC, and the third tier is all consuming. I have no idea if my test is just to make sure I'm taking the meds I'm supposed to be, or if they're also testing for 'illegal' substances. I suspect the latter. Many of the blood tests they list involve testing cannabis metabolites (not just THC, which I know goes away quickly in blood.)

I generally smoke daily with breaks every few days. I haven't consumed in 3 days. I have a month to take the test. I have gained 40lbs in the past year, so have plenty of fat cells for it to be stored in ;-(. I'm severely B12 deficient & take a number of supplements in addition to b12 sublingual & injections.

I don't eat chicken or red meat, sugar, simple starches, processed foods, or junk in general. I do eat cheese, which is fatty, and I do drink craft beer & wine a few times a week (I drink water the rest of the time.) I usually walk a LOT but have sprained a lower extremity and am waiting for it to heal.

Everything I've read says for 'frequent/regular consumers, the blood metabolites are eliminated in 2-35 days, depending on the person.' It seems it's at least 7-30 days as the norm. That's a pretty broad range. My gut is telling me to beef up the cruciferous veggies, avoid smoking (duh,) and do some dietary liver cleansing (lemon juice, asparagus, artichoke, etc...) if for no other reason, than hopefully to boost my metabolism. I don't know how to speed up my metabolism with diet (any more than I already do.)

I don't have the money to buy any detox products, and I don't think flushing wouldn't really help me (I'm guessing,) because this is a blood test.

Any ideas? Info? Things I'm missing or not thinking about?
Any advice re: blood testing for cannabinoid metabolites & metabolism boosting would be fantastic. I'm really not sure how bad or simple this could be. I've had a LOT of urine screens in my life, and only failed one. But this is a whole different ballgame and I'm puzzled!

Thanks in advance for any replies and considering my questions!!! I realize this is long, however, I figured better to lay it all out!

Take care,
Happy trees for everyone but me, so enjoy!
MK

First are you sure they're going to do a blood drug test? For health insurance they don't usually test for drugs in the blood. They use it to test for diabetes and symptoms of other serious health problems. Have had blood tests done before and they never test for drugs. Had one done just a couple of weeks ago.
If they are drug testing the blood there's really not much you can do about it except stop smoking for now until after the test. Its possible you could pass if you put it off as long as possible. If they're going to test for drugs it should say so on whatever paperwork you sign. Ask the tech what they're testing for.

Back
Top Bottom