Brash Cannabis Call Surprises

Jacob Bell

It does not take "a dope-addled hippy or wild-eyed radical" to back cannabis law reform, says ACT Party leader Don Brash.

He sprung a surprise yesterday, giving his personal endorsement to, at the very least, a debate over the decriminalisation of cannabis.

The unexpected tack in a speech on law and order sparked immediate suggestions that Dr Brash had upset the party's parliamentary leader, John Boscawen, over the proposal.

Mr Boscawen sprung his own surprise ahead of the speech, announcing he would quit politics at the election.

Citing an online poll at stuff.co.nz, which he admitted was unscientific, Dr Brash said it appeared most New Zealanders thought the law on cannabis was "an ass".

"The police and the courts spend some $100 million of taxpayer money a year enforcing this prohibition of a drug, believed by many people to be less dangerous than tobacco or alcohol. Is there really any point to this?"

Under former Prime Minister Sir Geoffrey Palmer - "hardly a dope-addled hippy or wild-eyed radical" - the Law Commission had, in April, recommended allowing cannabis for medicinal use and substituting a cautioning regime for criminal penalties in non-medicinal cases, Dr Brash said.

His speech was not party policy but an indication of "the kind of thinking" that would shape it.

"I'm not saying it's now ACT policy to decriminalise or legalise marijuana," Dr Brash said.

"I'm simply saying it's my personal view that we should give the idea serious consideration as there are some strong arguments in its favour."

A spokeswoman for Prime Minister John Key said National had long held the view decriminalisation would be "a step in the wrong direction".

north3.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: stuff.co.nz
Author: John Hartevelt
Copyright: Fairfax New Zealand Limited

Surpize! Anytime a law is revealed to the public, wherever or whatever country the people know these laws to be, useless at best, terrible at most. In other words, the people know the truth but its the industrie's (PHARMA) who must surpress the facts on MM.
good report!:peace:

If they don't straighten up we'll cut their funding.Let's see how long they can survive without our governments support.The only country we won't support is our own.

Back
Top Bottom