CA: As Medical Cannabis Views Change, Adelanto Feels Vindicated

Ron Strider

Current city leaders have often seemed comfortable in a self-anointed role: the overwatch of an underdog municipality where being described as unorthodox is a source of pride.

But as their cornerstone, open-throttle commercial cannabis industry ramps up, officials here have, too, noticed the changing tune toward marijuana in neighboring municipalities, even if those pivots have been baby steps.

The Hesperia City Council recently authorized medical marijuana delivery and, in Victorville, retail and industrial options are at least still on the table after officials Tuesday lifted the city’s outright commercial medical cannabis ban.

“I’ve been keeping up with the actions in the paper of what’s going on with medical cannabis up in the Victor Valley,” Adelanto Councilman Charley Glasper said Wednesday, “and I just wanna take my hat off to us up here that we have set the pace.”

Although the slow turn of the tide in Hesperia and Victorville has been a reflection of marijuana’s normalization in the U.S., and specifically California with the voter-approved legalization of adult use in November, Glasper was keen to use policies elsewhere in the valley to position Adelanto as trailblazer.

Where before Adelanto may have looked up to other cities, he said, they’re now looking up to Adelanto.

“They are dabbling in places when no other city would, and they are ahead of the game because of that,” Adelanto Planning Commissioner Chris Waggener said of the Council, particularly highly complimentary of Mayor Rich Kerr.

Kerr, who has often seemed conscious to balance self-congratulation with modesty in his public commentary, opted for humility Wednesday to address Waggener’s praise.

“No one person can do what has happened in this city. It takes a team effort,” he said. “It takes all the citizens, the Sheriff (Department), the Fire (Department), the Council, everybody. So I do appreciate that, but without you, there is not a me, there is not a Council. Without the citizens, we have nothing.”

Adelanto_Councilman_Charley_Glasper_-_adelantoca_gov.png

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: As medical cannabis views change, Adelanto feels vindicated - News - VVdailypress.com - Victorville, CA
Author: Shea Johnson
Photo Credit: adelantoca.gov
Website: VVdailypress.com: Local & World News, Sports & Entertainment in Victorville, CA

Back
Top Bottom