CA: Humboldt County Marijuana Farmers Speak In Favor Of Marijuana Excise Tax

Katelyn Baker

Humboldt, Calif. - Humboldt County has passed a marijuana excise tax that will be on the November Ballot. The tax has a rate of $1 to $3 depending on what type of grow you have.

This is lower than counties like Mendocino County, which is looking to tax $100 per plant, according to county documents. Patrick Murphy, a cannabis farmer in Humboldt County, said he is thrilled to be in the county with the lowest tax.

"It's very expensive for a farm ranch to actually come into compliance, so by setting the rate at the lowest in the state, they've set a precedent and we know the other counties in the state are looking at our county for answers," Murphy said.

If the excise tax passes, it will be the first time in the history of California that cannabis farmers would be taxed. According to county staff, this tax will be put back in the community. The goal is to use it to better infrastructure, schools, as well as emergency services. Some commercial farmers said that they are happy to be able to make the county even better.

"I want to get what I paid for, so if I put forward my money into a tax system and the roads get better here and education is funded and public safety is well-funded, then I think we've done a good job," said Murphy.

"I have two little girls and a third on the way and there's a major concern of underfunded schools, roads that are falling apart, a mental health system that we can't afford to have an ED, underfunded police department and we absolutely want to give back to this community," said Isaiah O'Donnell, a cannabis farmer in Humboldt County.

While these commercial cannabis farmers are happy to be able to contribute to the Humboldt County economy, they said that they are concerned for the mom and pop farms and do not think they should be included in the excise tax.

credPeteCaster.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Humboldt County Marijuana Farmers Speak In Favor Of Marijuana Excise Tax
Author: Cymphanie Sherman
Photo Credit: Pete Caster

Back
Top Bottom