California: City Council Adopts Medical Cannabis Delivery, Outdoor Cultivation Ban

Robert Celt

The Patterson City Council approved 4-0 the second reading and adoption of Ordinance No. 788, which bans the delivery, outdoor cultivation and dispensing of medical marijuana within Patterson.

Resident Alexis Juravic asked the council to reconsider the ban, sharing that medical marijuana has allowed her to deal with the pain of her invisible diseases without resorting to narcotics.

"I couldn't enjoy my family. I couldn't enjoy my children when I was on narcotics," she said, adding that the drugs kept her in a constant haze.

Justin Danner of Patterson, co-chair of the Central California Ag Science, Education and Research Coalition, asked council members to step away from outright bans "so that we can refocus this issue back where it needs to be, which is on the regulation of these issues."

Danner added that the time to ignore conversations surrounding marijuana, medical or otherwise, is over.
"Whether or not we agree with recreational cannabis, it's coming," he said. "Setting up an infrastructure now under these medical regulations could be very beneficial to cities, especially small communities like ours."

Danner said that the March 1 deadline written into the state's Medical Marijuana Regulation and Safety Act is in the process of being retracted. As the legislation stands, if cities do not meet the deadline to establish a local ordinance, they forfeit control to statewide regulations on medical marijuana.

Deputy City Attorney Doug White said that there's no assurance the deadline will be appealed.

Councilwoman Sheree Lustgarten clarified that medical marijuana users are still allowed to have their medication within city limits. Qualified primary caregivers can also bring medical cannabis to their patients.

"I anticipate that we will be revisiting medical marijuana in general," White told the council. "One of the things that I anticipate our office will produce for you in the very near future is the consideration of a potential tax to be put on the November ballot."

Under the new ordinance, which goes into effect 30 days from its adoption, residents with the proper license can cultivate indoors up to six mature or 12 immature plants for personal use.

Outdoor_cannabis.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: California: City Council Adopts Medical Cannabis Delivery, Outdoor Cultivation Ban
Author: Nathan Duckworth
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom