Calyxes swell.. but then seem to decrease in size.. normal?

hey everyone

listen, I've got a couple of questions and was hoping I had come to the right place to get the right answers to those questions.

I've got two plants right now. I never grow more than 2 plants per grow as I only grow for my personal consumption. I don't sell what I grow either.. again, I only grow for myself.

Anyhow, let me get to the point here. The two plants that I have going right now.. are doing absolutely great! Both plants are pretty much the same age.. maybe just a day or two apart.. and both began flowering pretty much on the same day.. with maybe a days difference between the two.

As of today, both plants are exactly 39 days into their flowering cycles. Meaning, they both showed sex (began flowering) 39 days ago as of today.

I've been growing for a good 3 or 4 years now and I'm no expert by no means.. but I like to think of myself as being an experienced grower.

Alright, here's my issue.. I noticed last week that the calyxes of one of the plants looked to be swollen with resin.. like they should be, right? Well, I checked on them this morning (like I do every morning) and I noticed that the one plant that had swollen calyxes.. I noticed that the calyxes seemed to have deflated.. its like they've shrank?? Anyhow, I just wanted to make sure this was normal?? I've never noticed this happening before on any of my past grows. With my past grows.. once the calyxes were done swelling up.. it seemed that they either stayed close to their swollen size.. or might even look a little deflated.. but not to the extent of what I seen this morning when I checked on my babies.

I guess my question is.. is once the calyxes begin to swell up.. shouldn't they stay swollen?? Or is it normal for them to decrease in size as the plant further matures into flowering?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't have any pics of my babies.. but if needed, I can take a couple and come back and add them to the thread.

Thanks for any help!! :peace:

Hey potroast. This is coming to you from another small-time grower - much like yourself (2-3 plants per round), with around 3 years exp as well...

From what I've seen, the calyxes will often swell as if they're about to produce a seed (pollinated), as if it's preparing to go into seed. I've seen mine do the same thing as yours, and they shrink down some when it's about 3/4 of the way through flowering, as the pistils start to 'recede' into the buds. I don't think there's anything to worry about though. It may be the 'bud structure' of the strain you're working with - I've seen some swell much more than others, despite the presence or lack of seeds in them.. so looking at it thay way, a slightly shrunken calyx may be a good thing, in that it means you're not getting any seeds...?

...just my 2 cents. =)

Hey potroast. This is coming to you from another small-time grower - much like yourself (2-3 plants per round), with around 3 years exp as well...

From what I've seen, the calyxes will often swell as if they're about to produce a seed (pollinated), as if it's preparing to go into seed. I've seen mine do the same thing as yours, and they shrink down some when it's about 3/4 of the way through flowering, as the pistils start to 'recede' into the buds. I don't think there's anything to worry about though. It may be the 'bud structure' of the strain you're working with - I've seen some swell much more than others, despite the presence or lack of seeds in them.. so looking at it thay way, a slightly shrunken calyx may be a good thing, in that it means you're not getting any seeds...?

...just my 2 cents. =)

Well, see.. the pistils have not yet started to recede back into their calyxes. On the first plant.. as far as her pistils go, there are still quite a few young/newer pistils that are still white with some yellowish (yellowish/greenish meaning they're beginning to mature) and some are red/brown colored. I'd say she's got around 40% red/brown pistils with 60% white/young pistils.. plus it seems like she's still producing buds because I can see new calyx growth this morning.. so she may still be in the bud producing stage of flowering right now.

On the second plant, well.. she's right about the same as the first one. I'm also seeing new calyx growth on her this morning.. which tells me she's still in the bud production mode.. and it seems on both plants, the new calyx growth I noticed this morning on both of them.. the new calyx growth is on the outer-sides/tops of the already existing buds.

But yeah, anyhow.. this tells me that both plants are still in 'bud production' mode.. and I'm hoping that they will stop with the bud production mode.. and switch over to focusing on maturing the trichs and swelling of the calyxes.. which with my experience.. I've noticed that most strains usually stop focusing all their energy on calyx/bud development after about week #5 to week #6.. and then they would start focusing their energy on swelling the calyxes/buds.

But anyhow, I'm pretty sure that Sensimilla plants (pure females)... these types of plants don't produce ANY seeds.. and the calyxes should swell up with resin.. giving the illusion of the calyxes having seeds in them.

I've never grown this strain before.. so I have no idea what its going to do.. or when for that matter... as each strain is different and each strain has its own unique pattern of development/growth.

Anyhow, I don't want to sit here and ramble.. especially at 6:45 AM, hehehe.

Anywhos.. thanks for the insight buddy!

Oh, and btw.. the strain I'm growing isn't available to the public at any of the seed banks. I got this strain, along with 9 others.. for free from a friend over at 'Breed-Bay'. Sent them to me free of charge.. and all 10 of them are his creations and I have got to say, these two ladies are just magnificent!!

Here's the genetic lineup of the two ladies I have growing right now:

BLUE DIESEL [X] BRITISH COLUMBIAN F3

those are the genetics of both plants.. and the two I have growing right now, their completely different from one another. The first one seems to have more Indica in her.. while the second one seems to have more Sativa in her. But whats funny is.. is the Sativa dom. one seems to be more dense than the Indica one. heh, go figure that one out. :| I mean literally.. the Sativa dom. one looks like a Ti-stick. Just one solid huge bud! You can't even see the plants middle stem because of the density of the buds.. its got to be one of the heaviest plants that I've grown to date.. and def. one of the most dense!

But anyhow, thanks for the help buddy!

peace :peace:

Back
Top Bottom