Cannabis Extract Might Actually Help Reduce Brain Tumors

Jacob Redmond

Over the past several years, marijuana has become increasingly available as a legal medical treatment. In the US, 23 states and the District of Columbia allow use of marijuana when recommended by a doctor, and in four states, it is legal for recreational use. Uruguay is building the world's first state-run marijuana marketplace, and other countries are considering lifting legal restrictions.

Most recommendations by doctors and government officials that argue in favor of medical marijuana extol its ability to counter some of the negative effects of disease. For example, some patients suffer from nausea and loss of appetite; THC, one of the main cannabinoids in the drug, relieves these symptoms. CBD, the other main cannabinoid, may be clinically useful for pain relief and reducing inflammation.

But research conducted over the past several years shows that THC and CBD are worth taking seriously not just as symptom-relievers, but also as agents that can actually fight disease. The most prominent of these studies have focused on a type of brain tumor known as a glioma. One 2013 study showed that administering THC and CBD to mice reduced tumor growth, while a 2014 study published in Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, one of the American Association for Cancer Research's scientific journals, found that THC and CBD administered to mice in conjunction with radiation dramatically reduced the size of tumors.

Such studies have not yet been conducted in humans, and more research is obviously needed. That may not be so easy to accomplish, because the drug's schedule 1 status has effectively hamstrung marijuana research. Still, policymakers may have some cause to reconsider the possibilities of medicinal marijuana.

8647.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Cannabis extract might actually help reduce brain tumors ? Quartz
Author: Zach Wener-Fligner
Photo Credit: Reuters/Steve Dipaola

I'm soon going to conduct my own research project using a human subject on fighting brain tumors with cannibis. Subject, myself. Test to start with the next six months, I was seriously thinking of blogging. I've had two surgories, one original in 2007, the most recent was summer 2013. My last appointment with my doctor, looking at the mri, she started having "the talk" again. I have a grade 2,a slow growing tumor. Mine is inoperable, the only thing they can do is remove new growth, the rest is on the motor strip. I did the chemo pill before, the only benefit was losing weight.

Back
Top Bottom