Carbon Filer & matching fan? - I have a problem!

stokesy

I'm growing 6 ladies in a DR150 tent with a 600 HPS lamps, fan in and fan out.
Problem I have is the smell still gets out.
I have a 6" Ruck fan 760 cu metres, coupled to a 4" Carbon Filter, stepped up to "match" the fan, exhausting.

I have a 4" fresh air fan in. Both fans are speed controlled, coupled with the temp inside the tent.
During lights out, the fans are running on slow...

I now realise that the exhaust fan should be slightly more? than the capacity of the filter.

Mine is clearly wrong.

Question is, will the situation improve smellwise, if I upgrade to a 600 cube filter?

And, is the current situation putting any major strain on the fan?

Thanks!

From what i gather you have your 4'' carbon filter hooked up to your 6'' 760cfm exhaust fan. How many CFM's is your carbon filter rated for? Most 4'' filters cannot handle the amount of air your 6'' fan can move. If i'm understanding your situation properly, i think you need a speed control on your exhaust. Slow that thing down. If you are pulling more air than your filter can handle, it wont have a chance to de-smellify all of it.

I would also pull out the intake fan. You want a negative pressure in the tent, so that you know all air is going through the scrubber.

I'll also go along with Bobzilla on the 4 inch filter. Though you say they are "matched". If so, then you are pushing in more than you are pulling out. And if so, then not all the air is going through the filter, but escaping out other leaks in the tent.

Prairie

Bobzilla I think you're correct..as I don;t have a heat problem, I think I'll just try the 4" fan I'm currently using for the intake, instead of the big super duper 6" one, and just let the air come in through the room window.

Prairie Poet.. it's a normal speed 4" going IN, and the big 6" sucking out...so there's a big suck on the tent.

I'll try it out tomorrow... and let you know how it goes..

Thanks all!

Changed the exhaust system to just the 4" ( 180 cube Metres/hr) and the situation has improved, but still there's still a bit of a pong. However, the situation HAS improved. I may just have to exhaust into the loft. I think that, with just 6 plants, I shouldn't have a problem with discretion.
At the moment, the exhaust is adjacent to an open window, but the fresh air in is overcoming the stale air out.

Back
Top Bottom