Challenged Marijuana Law Will Cause Needless Suffering To Montana Patients

Katelyn Baker

More than 13,000 medical marijuana patients got a letter from the state of Montana recently. This letter informed them that they either need to grow their own medicine or find a provider dumb enough to grow for them under Senate Bill 423, the law scheduled to come into effect on Aug. 31.

I got a letter, too. SB423 limits me to three patients: two plus myself.

In choosing two patients, I think first of the people with seizures. I sure don't want them to start seizing again. It might cost them their driver's license and their job, and could cause permanent brain damage. But what about the cancer patients? Which one? Should I choose someone who has longer to live? Or one that is near death?

How could one morally make that choice?

It is impossible to comply. This law was never intended to establish a workable medical marijuana program. It was intended to stomp out medical cannabis.

SB423 leaves most patients without access to medicine.

We filed for a "stay" in District Court, asking that the program be allowed to operate until Election Day. The new medical marijuana law, I-182, is on the ballot and Montanans will again vote for medical marijuana. Parts of I-182 go into effect immediately.

Why close the program in August when a responsible law will be in place two months later? Why make patients suffer needlessly and compromise their long-term health?

We voted before, and will vote again, for compassion.

davidMcNew0.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Challenged Marijuana Law Will Cause Needless Suffering To Montana Patients
Author: Misty Carey
Photo Credit: David McNew

Back
Top Bottom