Chauncey Billups Says Marijuana Can Help Players

Katelyn Baker

Chauncey Billups, Tracy McGrady, Jalen Rose and Michelle Beadle discussed the NBA's marijuana policy on NBA Countdown this week. The three former players basically said the same thing: The NBA should change its policy, especially taking into account the fact that marijuana could be a safer alternative to alcohol and addictive painkillers.

Billups, who played on the Celtics, Raptors, Nuggets, Timberwolves, Clippers, Knicks and Pistons over the course of a 17-year career, also said he actually liked when certain former teammates smoked marijuana before games because it helped calm them down. He said:

"When you're talking about protecting your investment, protecting these players, protecting the guys, if medicinal marijuana, if that's something that can help out with your franchise, with your organization, with your players, that's a discussion that needs to happen.

"I honestly played with players, I'm not gonna name names, but I wanted them to actually smoke. They played better like that. Big-time anxiety, a lot of things that can be affected, it brought them down a little bit, helped them out, helped them focus in a little bit on the game plan, that I needed them to do that. I would rather have them do that sometimes than drink."

These comments come after Knicks president Phil Jackson said he smoked marijuana to distract himself after he had back surgery as a player, and he added:

"We have tried to stop [marijuana use] in the NBA. I don't think we have been able to stop it. I think it still goes on and is still a part of the culture in the NBA. It is something that we either have to accommodate or figure out another way to deal with it."

Several days before Jackson said that, Warriors head coach Steve Kerr admitted he tried using cannabis to deal with his chronic back pain. Additionally, the coach made a solid argument as to why pro athletes should be allowed to do the same.

636170485240627619-USATSI-9130299.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Chauncey Billups Says Marijuana Can Help Players
Author: Alysha Tsuji
Photo Credit: Raj Mehta

Back
Top Bottom