Constant high pH I need help DWC

racer123

I just completely cleaned and sterilized my entire reservoir for 3rd time in 10 days. I cannot get rid of what I believe is algae.

I understand that algae can ONLY grow if there is a light source making its way into the reservoir. I am 100% there is no light leaking into it anywhere. I put reflective tape on top of the lid and around the plants. Covered every single hole with reflective tape and even wrapped around my air lines with reflective tape. Cleaned everything with H202 and then rinsed the tank with Bleach.

Yesterday I added 1/2 doses of Stealth Hydroponics Nutrients and the problem has returned. If I run straight tap water in my res (6 gallons), I will have 0 problems what so every. The second I add nutrients to the res is when I experience high pH. Last night I pH'd my reservoir to 5.5 and when I check it again just now it was at 8.1 and the top of the reservoir is bubbly as can be. The reservoir doesn't have any smell to it, it smells clean as far as I can tell. Water temperature has been around 65F - 72F. Usually 65-68F during night and 68-72F during the days when it gets the hottest.

Anyone know what is causing this high pH everytime? I pH'd it back down to 5.5 but I bet within a couple of hours it will make its way back to 7.5 and higher. This is really frustrating and has slowed my growth down tremendously, I am experiencing a lot of problems with my first grow :(

That sounds like an odd situation u have going on. I'm relatively new to dwc but have a couple systems going using general hydroponics floranova 2 part system with several additives. I'm not familiar with the nutes you're using but I know the GH floranova line I'm using is ph stabilized and generally sits around 5.8 with very little movement. I would suggest switching nutes and see if that solves the issues.

Are you sure it's algae? What color is it?
The color is green-ish, the same color as my nutes or at least a slight variation of my nutes. I am not 100% positive that it is algae but if I leave it in my res for more than lets say 5 days, it will start to gunk up the water lines and air stones. Also the water is starting to become quite cloudy.

That sounds like an odd situation u have going on. I'm relatively new to dwc but have a couple systems going using general hydroponics floranova 2 part system with several additives. I'm not familiar with the nutes you're using but I know the GH floranova line I'm using is ph stabilized and generally sits around 5.8 with very little movement. I would suggest switching nutes and see if that solves the issues.
I think that will be my next step unless someone else has a better suggestion. I have tried Aquashield and H2O2. The H2O2 does a good job at keeping it at check but it always slowly gets worse.

What it sounds like is the water temps are a little on the high side i keep my water temps as low as possible. Enzymes work as well in low temp waters. Also when the PH rises its not an issue. PH will always fluctuate no matter what you do. PH testing is only good before you add nute solution to your plants res. The clogging of the airstones is nothing but the nutes breaking down inside the water thicker nutes tend to do this faster to airstones. There also be some brown sludge at the bottom of the res am I right? The cloudiness is also from this.

I for one never worry or check my PH and never had any problems. Also I dont use air stones. I hate them since all they do is clog. Im using a DIY DWC bubble bucket recirculation system with a 110L airpump with no airstones and seen far more better results with out them.

Wiz is right. If the temps get too high, you're going to start growing stuff in your rez. Does it smell like a nasty fish tank?

Hey guys, alright so I need some help again... I am at a loss of what to do. Yesterday my 3-part series of GH nutrients came in and I gave it the dosage recommended for seedlings/cuttings. I checked at night and the pH went from 5.5 to 7.5 and then this morning it was at 8.0 and my plants are NOT liking it, they are turning yellow and the leaves are stiff. I just don't understand the CONSTANT high pH the second that I add nutrients. I ran straight water for 2 days without any pH problems and then the second the nutrients come into play the pH goes ape-sh!t. I ordered some Physan 20 should that take care off my issues?

At first I thought it was the nutrients breaking up in the water as WizHigh was saying but this time the slime is the same color and definitely not the color of the nutes I am using. The water is bubbly on top and I just added Aquashield hoping that will take care of it a little till the Physan 20 comes in. Water temperatures have been in between 64F and 68F... I am sooooo frustrated because I am 17 days into veg and I only have 2" tall plants. :(((( someone please help.

First things first lower the water temps. Get it below 50 by throwing in some frozen water bottles. Second dont worry about PH. 3 part nutes are organic so they will take time to break down for the plant to use the nutes properly so your in for a ride. But once you get the hang of it youll be fine. Also use micro more then what they tell you on the label.

What size bucket or res are you using and what color?

What size air pump, how many Liters does it put out?

Whats your water source?

First things first lower the water temps. Get it below 50 by throwing in some frozen water bottles. Second dont worry about PH. 3 part nutes are organic so they will take time to break down for the plant to use the nutes properly so your in for a ride. But once you get the hang of it youll be fine. Also use micro more then what they tell you on the label.

What size bucket or res are you using and what color?

What size air pump, how many Liters does it put out?

Whats your water source?
The reservoir is around 10G and a solid black color, covered with reflective tape around any opening and the entire top lid. I have 2 air pumps, says 1200cc per minute it's designed for 5-15G reservoirs.

Also I have removed the air stones and will see if that helps the pH drifts. Going to rule out one problem at a time.

Ph fluctuates regardless of what you do. Your res problem is from high temps for sure. You may need to clean it out using bleach. The. Keep the temps below 50. Also only fill your res half way up with water.
Hey Wiz, I just thought of something. I remembered that I secured my air stones with fishing line and lead weights. Could that be the issue? The lead reacting with the nutes and h2o?

Back
Top Bottom